NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Harper

Perch    Williamson    Coloccini    Enrique

Tiote          Barton

Routledge        Ben Arfa              Jonas

Carroll

If we do get Keane, I'm not too sure who to replace.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Dropping Routledge would be a big mistake imo.

Aye. He's dangerous with his pace and does get in some good crosses, we should keep him and Jonas in their respective roles

Then Barton. (Who always should have been our captain imo)

Why??

Because he's one of our best players, drives on the play and talks a lot with our players.

He's had a decent start to the season but apart from a couple of games he's done fuck all to warrant being anywhere near captain??

Totally agree.

The only position I can see Ben Arfa coming into is the one currently occupied by Nolan, either in rotation or as a replacement when Nolan goes 3 or 4 games without scoring.

In games where we're more confident and attacking, I guess one of Smith and Barton could drop out.

Guest andrew

Harper

Perch     Williamson     Coloccini    Enrique

Tiote          Barton

Routledge        Ben Arfa              Jonas

Carroll

If we do get Keane, I'm not too sure who to replace.

:smitten:

I like that a lot. that could be excellent on the counter attacking end of things. I like Routledge too, so I wouldn't want to see him dropped.

Both Marseille and Ben Arfa are seemingly a bit tricky to deal with and so negotiations, although close to being finalized, could very well break down at any point. I reckon Keane would then be a last minute fall back should this happen. In actuality though, I would hope we would go for Gio Dos Santos instead of Keane.

Totally agree.

The only position I can see Ben Arfa coming into is the one currently occupied by Nolan, either in rotation or as a replacement when Nolan goes 3 or 4 games without scoring.

In games where we're more confident and attacking, I guess one of Smith and Barton could drop out.

Deschamps did question Ben Arfa's stamina over a full 90 minutes. That could be his opinion on the player's application of course, but I would envisage Ben Arfa being subbed for Nolan after an hour or so, or being used as a sub for him. Nolan would offer more defensive solidity in certain games, or in certain phases of games, of course.

Guest andrew

Realistically, we may be seeing Nolan and Ben Arfa rotated in their role against different oppostion, or if/when Routledge or Jonas is injured we will see Ben Arfa playing there. I don't think fitting everyone in is anything to worry about, injuries and suspensions will get us.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/08/27/newcastle-in-for-robbie-keane-and-ben-arfa-72703-27149218/2/

Finally an article from Lee Ryder with some actual information:

Hughton said (of Robbie Keane) today: “His name has been mentioned and that is what we would expect at this stage. We are close to the end of the transfer window.

“He is, though, a player who I know very well.

“There is an association there and a connection.”

Hughton also confirmed that there have been developments on Ben Arfa.

He said: “There have been some discussions with Ben Arfa and at the moment they are still ongoing.”

Hughton added: “Ben Arfa is a player who can play in the striker position, the two wide positions or just off the front.

“We’ve just got to make sure, as I have continually said, that by the time the window shuts we have the squad that is capable of getting us through the down periods when we’ll have injuries.”

Interesting. I think the versatility of Ben Arfa is key, and Dos Santos is similar in his ability to play those positions also. I think any other striker we bring in will be a versatile one, and not just an out and out striker.

Why??

Because he's one of our best players, drives on the play and talks a lot with our players.

He's had a decent start to the season but apart from a couple of games he's done fuck all to warrant being anywhere near captain??

Fine. Be happy with Nolan or Smith leading us out then.  :thup:

Judging by Hughton's comments, and with him first of all saying he can play in the striker position, I'd imagine that's where he's primarily going to play him.

Agreed. However, if Jonas or Routledge are injured at any point we would then likely have him out wide, as we don't particularly have any quality wingers behind those two.

Why??

:yikes:

Why??

He's had a decent start to the season but apart from a couple of games he's done f*** all to warrant being anywhere near captain??

Being a captain isn't being our best player, although it inevitably leads them to being in the team more.

I wouldn't want Barton as captain. He's not much of a leader and his somewhat muddy past wouldn't exactly help matters.

Nolan is actually the best candidate we currently have for captain IMO. From what I've seen of him, he leads the line very well and is constantly talking and organising everyone all the time.

Hughton will turn out to be this season's Roy Hodgson.

He really is turning into a fine manager.

He can turn into whatever he wants, as long as he doesn't leave us at the end of the season with no proper replacement ready. (Kinnear is always waiting...)

Why??

He's had a decent start to the season but apart from a couple of games he's done f*** all to warrant being anywhere near captain??

Being a captain isn't being our best player, although it inevitably leads them to being in the team more.

I wouldn't want Barton as captain. He's not much of a leader and his somewhat muddy past wouldn't exactly help matters.

Nolan is actually the best candidate we currently have for captain IMO. From what I've seen of him, he leads the line very well and is constantly talking and organising everyone all the time.

Nolan does a good job as a captain, no doubt about it.

But the thing is, I'd rather drop him than Barton.

Why??

Fine. Be happy with Nolan or Smith leading us out then. :thup:

Same here. But like I say, the best player isn't already the best captain.

If we have to get rid of Nolan, then I say we pick someone like Campbell as his replacement.

:thup:

As I said before, I'd rather drop Jonas than Routledge.

Definitely. Just because he's Argentinian doesn't mean he's that good, which seems to affect a lot of peoples judgements.

There's space for them both in the first team though.

Why??

Fine. Be happy with Nolan or Smith leading us out then. :thup:

If we have to get rid of Nolan, then I say we pick someone like Campbell as his replacement.

What? Someone older and unfitter? :lol:

:lol: Someone more likely to be in the team I mean.

Why??

Campbell isn't even sure to be one of our first choice centre backs. But yes, he'd be a good choice as well.