NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Clearly not, we got him for £1.5m. He's an absolute steal at that amount.

Not talking about the prices of the players, imo SWP is simply a far greater player. Faster, better technique and greater end product.

I'm not sure I would say 'far greater' and certainly no better in the technique department. A wee bit faster well...............yes possibly, though SWP's problem is his legs work faster than his brain and I'd concede that SWP does have more end product BUT pound for pound Routledge is a far better bet.

Guest Heneage

Better technique than Routledge? Sorry but the last few times I've watched SWP it's just been edge towards the fullback kick and run after it.

Routledge is a good athlete with a poor first touch. He's struggled before in the Premiership, and he'll struggle again. Hopefully this time, he'll have the maturity and experience to be effective.

Strengthening the RW position is far from being a priority though.

we need a RM that can cross well. we already have an electric winger in routledge.

Routledge does cross well, to be fair.

He occasionally puts in a sweet ball but is very inconsistent with his crossing. There were times during the season season when he was under no pressure at all yet messed his cross up. It was infuriating at times, as it's clear to see he can deliver a good ball but those balls don't come often enough. It's one thing I'd really like him to try and improve on during the summer because it could be invaluable for the team as a whole.

I think we have to do out utmost to hang on to Taylor as that would mean, we have to get a replacement and to get anyone better, we are likely to have to pay more for them that we get for Taylor.  There are other areas of the team that need investing in first.  Williamson did well last season but he has it all to prove in the Premiership and Taylor has proved he is a Premiership player - to what level is another issue.  I think our defence was much stronger in the first half of the season before Taylor picked up his injury that afterwards.

If we got the £8m being bandied about for Taylor would you honestly think we'd need to spend more to replace him?

Guest je85

we need a RM that can cross well. we already have an electric winger in routledge.

He occasionally puts in a sweet ball but is very inconsistent with his crossing. There were times during the season season when he was under no pressure at all yet messed his cross up. It was infuriating at times, as it's clear to see he can deliver a good ball but those balls don't come often enough. It's one thing I'd really like him to try and improve on during the summer because it could be invaluable for the team as a whole.

Would you prefer someone like Liam Lawrence? Good cross, good set pieces but not as pacey.

SWP has had essentially one very good top flight season in his career. Majorly over rated.

Maybe so but not compared to Routledge.

Routledge has had one very good top flight season as well :)  Similar players, Phillips is a bit better, not worth signing though.

Ocassionally is harsh, very harsh. He's an awful lot better at crossing than Jonas, for instance.

Ocassionally is harsh, very harsh. He's an awful lot better at crossing than Jonas, for instance.

The reason I said occasionally is because I'd say his ratio of good crosses to poor crosses would be in favour of the latter by a decent number. No doubting the second point either, even though Jonas did manage to improve his crossing as the season progressed.

Would you prefer someone like Liam Lawrence? Good cross, good set pieces but not as pacey.

Someone in between would be nice. ;) I'd probably opt for Routledge because I think Lawrence is quite a limited player. He isn't that bad, but nothing to get excited about whereas Routledge can make something happen with his trickery and good footwork.

Clearly not, we got him for £1.5m. He's an absolute steal at that amount.

Not talking about the prices of the players, imo SWP is simply a far greater player. Faster, better technique and greater end product.

Totally agree.

Better technique than Routledge? Sorry but the last few times I've watched SWP it's just been edge towards the fullback kick and run after it.

Yes, but the difference is that he usually gets PAST the FB after he's done it - and that is the object of a winger's game. The work needs to be completed by a decent cross and although SWP is not the best at that, he is far better than any we have on the books now.

Good crosses pulled back from the bye-line are the most dangerous in the game for defenders to deal with.

Guest NUFC4

Alright well I'm just gonna come out with it....i would have mendy in our squad no problem next season.  Good experience and cover for the fullbacks as well as being within our wage and transfer budget.  Didn't look bad the times I saw him play for Hull.

French press:

Quotes from Yousouf Mulumbu saying Newcastle are very interested in his services. He has been speaking to Pancrate about a potential move.

http://www.footmercato.net/premier-league/entretien-avec-youssouf-mulumbu-c-est-toujours-plus-dur-dans-un-grand-club-comme-le-psg_49711

Yes. Yes please!

has he played well for West Brom? Why would they want to get rid?

French press:

Quotes from Yousouf Mulumbu saying Newcastle are very interested in his services. He has been speaking to Pancrate about a potential move.

http://www.footmercato.net/premier-league/entretien-avec-youssouf-mulumbu-c-est-toujours-plus-dur-dans-un-grand-club-comme-le-psg_49711

Yes. Yes please!

has he played well for West Brom? Why would they want to get rid?

Seems like he is in his final year?

From wiki:

On 2 February 2009, the January transfer deadline day, he joined them on loan with a view to a permanent deal at the end of the season. He signed for West Brom permanently on a one-year contract on 10 July.[1] and extended that deal one month later by another year. Mulumbu scored his first goal in West Brom's 2–0 win over Ipswich Town on 22 August 2009.

Yes to Mulumbu.

I was really impressed with him last season at WBA. Played for the French u21's before deciding to play for DR Congo.

Not sure if he was a Fontainebleau product though, I'm sure someone on here will know?