NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

In that article they claim that the evening chronicle claim that we are close to signing him so still up in the air.

In that article they claim that the evening chronicle claim that we are close to signing him so still up in the air.

They just mention them saying there were scouts watching him last month. Then they go on about something else, and Marcus Pedersen saying he want to go to England.

Clubs which Strømsgodset have announced on their website had come to watch Pedersen, btw (as in official, not just a paper namedropping teams): West Bromwich, Fulham, Bolton, Everton, Blackburn, Sunderland, Nottingham Forest, Celtic, Hannover, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Hamburger Sport-Verein, Auxerre, Anderlecht, Heerenveen, Groeningen, Twente.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

Is he available on a free?

Can't see him going on a free however he did sign for Strømsgodset on a free last year not sure how long for though.

More credible reports of Carroll leaving, from an impeccable source (full of direct quotes, too)

Chelsea Consider Shock Move for Newcastle United Youngster Andy Carroll

Chelsea are considering an audacious move for Newcastle United youngster Andy Carroll. The Stamford Bridge outfit are on the look out for new up and coming options as Carlo Ancelotti plans for the future whilst dealing with a somewhat aging squad.

Having captured the likes of Ross Turnbull and Daniel Sturridge last summer the club is continuing to look for promising ‘homegrown’ players and are rumoured to be impressed by the 21 year old’s performances with the Magpies last season and with Chelsea’s main attacking options, Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka, both being over 30 years of age the west London side is keen to bring in new signings.

Carroll finished top scorer at the Toon Army last season with 19 goals in 35 starts as he helped Chris Hughton’s side to the title. However the Gateshead born England Under 21 international has had a few run ins during his time coming through the ranks at St James’ Park, most notably coming to blows with Newcastle defender Steven Taylor.

Should a bid be made by the Premier League champions it seems highly unlikely that Mike Ashley would accept knowing that doing so would further anger supporters who already enjoy a rather spicy relationship with the club’s owner.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/06/05/chelsea-consider-shock-move-for-newcastle-united-youngster-andy-carroll/

Based on the NUFC Statement and media reports that there will be "no capital outlay" on new players it makes me wonder why we are bothering sending Carr and his scouting team to watch players.

Probably to make it look like the club is doing something so we dont get pissed off

http://imgnews.naver.com/image/073/2010/06/03/100603_4c0718b884379.jpg

Local press linking us, Fulham, Palermo, and a few Spanish teams to South Korean central defender Cho Yong-Hyung.

Well, he'll be our first choice CB at the World Cup... But that's not saying much.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2010/06/06/newcastle-track-korean-star-cho-yong-hyung-79310-26596753/

Sunday Sun have now picked this up.

Well, I'd certainly rather have him than Campbell...

Local press linking us, Fulham, Palermo, and a few Spanish teams to South Korean central defender Cho Yong-Hyung.

Well, he'll be our first choice CB at the World Cup... But that's not saying much.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2010/06/06/newcastle-track-korean-star-cho-yong-hyung-79310-26596753/

Where would he rank amongst our current CBs?

Our profile in South Korea would certainly be elevated ten-fold if we decided to sign him. When I was in Korea over winter, the only coverage I saw of the Premier League was either Manchester United or Bolton highlights. Could be good to rake in some cash.

Where would he rank amongst our current CBs?

I honestly have no way of knowing. I like to think that our league is about on par with the Championship and he's currently playing CB for a team that's managed to be 2nd in the table whilst allowing the lowest number of goals with an otherwise horrible squad, so in an ideal world he should at least be as good as Williamson.

He's not huge and strong but he's an extremely intelligent defender who likes to break up moves before they happen. Plays some pretty decent passes too. The biggest concern I have is that we would be dangerously soft at the back with him and Colo playing.

He's looked pretty solid at international level so far and had an excellent game against Spain (brutally exposing Llorente's lack of a footballing brain,) so i guess we'll all be able to make a more accurate judgement after the World Cup.

I honestly have no way of knowing. I like to think that our league is about on par with the Championship and he's currently playing CB for a team that's managed to be 2nd in the table whilst allowing the lowest number of goals with an otherwise horrible squad, so in an ideal world he should at least be as good as Williamson.

He's not huge and strong but he's an extremely intelligent defender who likes to break up moves before they happen. Plays some pretty decent passes too. The biggest concern I have is that we would be dangerously soft at the back with him and Colo playing.

He's looked pretty solid at international level so far and had an excellent game against Spain (brutally exposing Llorente's lack of a footballing brain,) so i guess we'll all be able to make a more accurate judgement after the World Cup.

it's not, not even close, it's about on a par with semi-pro football in the UK

it's not, not even close, it's about on a par with semi-pro football in the UK

:lol: I don't know what your background is but somehow I don't think you'd be in a better position to judge the merits of the Korean league than I am.

He's a CB? Just looking at him you'd say he doesn't stand a chance in the PL.

He's not a physically strong player by any stretch of the imagination, but he also suffers from the fact that like most Koreans, he looks ganglier than he actually is. If I had to bet my life I'd say that he's not good enough for the PL but oh well, stranger things have happened.

http://ojsfile.ohmynews.com/STD_IMG_FILE/2008/0805/IE000946595_STD.jpg

This is what one of our strongest players, who outmuscles most defenders he comes up against, looks like

Forster once again linked to Norwich next year.

It would be nice just to see some actual concrete interest in some players coming into the club, it's been over a month since the end of the season and as usual we don't seem to have made any progress!

I suppose we'll do what we always do and panic within the last couple of days before the deadline and sign any dross we can get for next to nothing (or in this case, actually nothing!)