NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Almost 29, coming off the worse season of his career  Like I said, whatever we would have to pay for him would be too much. He's shown nothing lately to warrant someone to believe he can score goals if he starts regularly.

But you think Spuds will want £12m for him?..

I don't know what they want. Anything above 5mil and I would feel cheated, and I'm sure they'll ask for more than that.

Guest Chubby Jason

Why the f*** would we want to cater to Defoe's style though? :lol:

He's a small striker, in both size and style, he offers no work rate, or physical presense that could help us up top. All he has is decent strike and a turn of pace which has netted him a slightly above average goal record. Absolutely useless signing for the price he would cost us.

Because he'll return that with a haul of goals? He's done it all his career, I really don't know what standard of striker people are expecting us to sign to be honest, given the response to Defoe being linked.

Jermain Defoe? A haul of goals? All his career? :spit:

Jesus f***ing wept.

Oh the hilarity 178 goals in 431 apps. Pathetic record.

I wouldn't mind him if he signed for reasonable wage and fee..

-+

This, fucking fed up with the "he's shit" brigade regarding Defoe.

So many football fans are either for or against players. A shit player or great player. Nothing in between! For me Defoe is a great striker and far better than what we have had since Shearer. Sure his best years are behind him and perhaps he can only offer us 3 years at this level, but he's far better than Shola, Lovenkrands, Ameobi, Best, Ranger (for now) and Kuqi. If we got offered Defoe for less than £7m, and he was on £35k or less, I'd be very happy to have him in the side for a few years. If we spent over that and offered him more I'd think the deal was poor. Regardless of money or wages, he'd still get more goals than those mentioned at the club currently. Also, why do people judge a player on one season so much? people have jumped on Nolan and Barton's back since they signed and since had to shut up and accept they have put poor seasons behind them (with us or elsewhere) and still done a good job for us this season.

So yeah, I wouldn't say no to Defoe, but there's nothing wrong in not wanting him signing if his fee or wages get too much.

Almost 29, coming off the worse season of his career  Like I said, whatever we would have to pay for him would be too much. He's shown nothing lately to warrant someone to believe he can score goals if he starts regularly.

But you think Spuds will want £12m for him?..

I don't know what they want. Anything above 5mil and I would feel cheated, and I'm sure they'll ask for more than that.

Sorry, it was someone else who said £12m.  I agree we shouldn't pay much above £5m though.

He's a small striker, in both size and style, he offers no work rate, or physical presense that could help us up top. All he has is decent strike and a turn of pace which has netted him a slightly above average goal record. Absolutely useless signing for the price he would cost us.

Because he'll return that with a haul of goals? He's done it all his career, I really don't know what standard of striker people are expecting us to sign to be honest, given the response to Defoe being linked.

Jesus f***ing wept.

Yep. Defoe's just not right for us. He'd represent a risk not worth taking.

CRonaldo is a a great striker, Eto'o is a great striker.  Jermain Defoe is not a great striker.

Are you still talking about "great" in the calibre of what we can attract? or in football history? surely the latter yes? if so what a pointless post. Well done.

Jesus f***ing wept.

Yep. Defoe's just not right for us. He'd represent a risk not worth taking.

On any wages and fee? or just high ones?

Is he better than what we got if he played for us the next 3 years or not? if not then who would you buy who would do better?

He's a decent player on the way down. I'd stay away for the price Spurs would want.

Best post yet. Of course he's on the way the down, and no doubt Spurs would fleece anybody who tried to buy him. But I'd happily have him leading the forward line for us over Best, Ranger, Ameobi and Lovenkrands if the fee and wages was in our favour.

Jesus f***ing wept.

100 goals in 307 premiership apearances, an absolute haul of goals mate, a haul of goals!

Jesus f***ing wept.

100 goals in 307 premiership apearances, an absolute haul of goals mate, a haul of goals!

Who would you sign who is better?

Jesus f***ing wept.

Or maybe... it's not spectacular and it's not awful. Just a wild thought.

He's quick, direct and scores goals. For that purpose he'd be a massive improvement on our strikeforce, but he has a number of limitations.

Selfish, not a great player in the build up, not a physical presence, doesn't get into good positions as much as he should and most worryingly is off the back of a very bad season.

Defoe is still a good premier striker. Not saying I'd want him, but we haven't got one. Of all the positions to fill that one is going to be the most tricky, so for people to scoff at the idea of Defoe is a bit rich.