NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

I think Defoe's a cracking little player and would work well with the help of a creative midfield. He'd latch onto through balls played in by Cabaye, HBA and Marveux for example.

I'd love him here but as mentioned, he's played in london his whole career if I recall, so may have trouble adapting to Greggs.

Guest bimpy474

Why do people believe this s*** about Defoe, if you read the story it even says preparing a bid for Defoe IF Erdinc doesn't sign.

How does the reporter know we might bid for Defoe if we dont get Erdinc, he doesn't he is just going by what Pardew said about getting a striker in and in that Pardew was probably talking about Erdinc anyway, it utter fantasy, we know the rules by now, we are never signing anyone whos 29 and/over £7m at that age, same goes for Crouch, all players signing will have resale value, thems the rules laid down by (sensible if take a unbiased look at it, if we do actually spend money on a transfer fee that is) the fat slob in charge.

Guest bimpy474

Have people forgotten Defoe played for Portsmouth or did they think Portsmouth was just between Arsenal and Tottenham? :lol:

Seen a few mention he has always played in London.

Its not even a hour from London though, doubt he would have moved there, nice as some parts of Portsmouth are.

No way can you do Portsmouth to London in an hour ffs. :D

Anyway, Defoe is a decent enough player and a vast improvement over what we have. However he's 29, has maybe 2 or possibly at a push 3 decent seasons left in him at best and then he'll be massively in decline, plus he'll want massive wages and a long contract.

If he was on a free, I'd take him. For £10m, Spurs can fuck right off. If we give them £10m then they'll go and use it to buy the sort of striker we should be looking at, ie someone young and with ambition and talent. Instead of taking Defoe off their wage bill and giving them a ridiculous fee in the process we should make them keep him and sign someone younger and better instead.

Not even and hour? :lol:

I have only been to Southampton but fairly sure it took us well over an hour and this was a copper driving a Focus RS. Either way it's still not London :lol:

Serious question, do people think Defoe is better than Ba?

A few have said he is better than what we have and although I rate him, Ba has looked better and has a lot more prolific history.

Guest NewBoyPeetah

I honestly don't think that Defoe gets nearly enough respect. Is he better than Ba? I don't really know. Would Ba and Defoe be the best strike force we've had for a while? Yes. 

Guest bimpy474

No way can you do Portsmouth to London in an hour ffs. :D

Anyway, Defoe is a decent enough player and a vast improvement over what we have. However he's 29, has maybe 2 or possibly at a push 3 decent seasons left in him at best and then he'll be massively in decline, plus he'll want massive wages and a long contract.

If he was on a free, I'd take him. For £10m, Spurs can f*** right off. If we give them £10m then they'll go and use it to buy the sort of striker we should be looking at, ie someone young and with ambition and talent. Instead of taking Defoe off their wage bill and giving them a ridiculous fee in the process we should make them keep him and sign someone younger and better instead.

Of course you can :), used do a delivery run every month, straight down the A3, mind you that was from the M25, so i suppose it depended on where Defoe was living, i dont think it ever took me more than hour from the M25 ever......used to love that job.

Guest BooBoo

Why should we be bothered about fees and sell on values? I just want to see good players at the club, I could not care less about sell on values.

lack of sell on value ffs. he should be judged primarily on whether we think he'll benefit the squad and by how much. considering our attacking options need significantly upgrading i'd say sell on value matters little.

Why should we be bothered about fees and sell on values? I just want to see good players at the club, I could not care less about sell on values.

Come on, surely our annual accounts day is far more exciting that one of these football match things?

I agree entirely- it's not about sell on value its about value to the team because that's what we pay money to watch. If he's worth it on the pitch them what's the issue? Why would I care what he's worth in the future when he's spent three or four years getting goals for us?

Mike Ashley may see NUFC more as a transfer mill, but when the fans see it that way as well then we're really in the shit.

It tells you something about players like Defoe and Joe Cole if they're never regulars for their club side.  Too inconsistent.

For a top 4 team maybe, Cole would be a regular in any team outside the top 4 bar Liverpool imo

Joe Cole? Have you seen him play lately?