NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Lasses would be frothing at the gash with Gourcuff and Cabaye in the same midfield. Town would be smelling Like Shields fish quay on a match day.

Giroud is better looking tbh.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/12/26/luuk-de-jong-flattered-by-newcastle-united-interest-72703-30008077/

HOLLAND striker Luuk de Jong has opened the door for a January switch to St James’ Park by admitting he is “flattered” by Newcastle’s interest in him.

United have watched the FC Twente forward over the winter months and the Chronicle understands he is one of three strikers on their hit-list.

They also like Crystal Palace striker Wilfried Zaha and Lille’s Moussa Sow.

De Jong has told reporters back in his homeland he would love to join the Toon – and reckons that the English Premier League would be “perfect” for his style.

The highly-rated 21-year-old earned a call-up to the Dutch senior squad after a stunning run of form for Twente. He has scored once in six games for the national side and is also being watched by Everton.

De Jong said: “Of course in the future I’d love to play in the EPL. I’ve read about all the interest but personally I haven’t heard so much till now.

“The Premier League is a really good competition and I think that the type of football played there is suited for me. They play a lot with long balls and crosses, while some teams play really good football.

“Defensively a lot of teams play in zones so there is always a lot of space between the lines.

“(The speculation) is a sign I’m doing my job well otherwise if it’s true then these clubs wouldn’t be following me.

“Believe me all this doesn’t affect me or keep me occupied, for me it’s only important that I’m fully focused and playing well for FC Twente again after a period when I wasn’t as good.”

It is by no means certain that United will swoop for a striker in January, with centre-back targets appearing to take priority in this window. They have enquired about Ajax’s Belgian defender Jan Vertonghen and tabled a bid for West Ham’s James Tomkins.

But manager Alan Pardew said last week that after the breakdown of Modibo Maiga’s move from Sochaux, there are no guarantees that Newcastle will be able to move swiftly in the window. He said: “It’s a difficult window to get a good player when people don’t want to lose their good players.

“It’s not just difficult for us, it’s difficult for every team. You locate a player, then they’ve got to get a replacement – and is another first-team going to let them go? There’s a knock-on effect.”

But manager Alan Pardew said last week that after the breakdown of Modibo Maiga’s move from Sochaux, there are no guarantees that Newcastle will be able to move swiftly in the window. He said: “It’s a difficult window to get a good player when people don’t want to lose their good players.

“It’s not just difficult for us, it’s difficult for every team. You locate a player, then they’ve got to get a replacement – and is another first-team going to let them go? There’s a knock-on effect.”

Looks like we could be signing that Irish guy, N. O'Body.

Some cheek to whinge about that IMO when we regularly seem to bin off players with no plan B lined up.

I'd be surprised if we got Vertonghen like.

Was a Dutch journo on Talksport the other day who seemed to think Vertonghen was nailed on for Man U. and Teixeira was more likely for us.

.....De Jong would be awesome like.

Was a Dutch journo on Talksport the other day who seemed to think Vertonghen was nailed on for Man U. and Teixeira was more likely for us.

Something about his name I don't like.

I'd more like that african lad, A. Nyone.

Of course it could be a problem with the ACN coming up, and Mali are looking quite good, so we would probably miss him for a lot of games. But I think he's one for the future, so we should definitely go for it.

41 goals in 5 games isn't too bad after all. Even if it is in the dutch league.

Had no idea about that Vertonghen to Man Utd link but just thought he'd be off to a bigger club if he were to leave Ajax, I've mentioned a few times that I think Douglas would be a really good signing for us. As you say, if we were to get De Jong that'd be awesome.

Douglas is exactly what we need. Affordable, realistic and very good, he's 6'4" so can form a 'Beauty and the Beast' with Colo. We should do whatever it takes to get him, really.

Is he better than Verthongen?

Douglas is more solid defensively, but not as good a 'footballer' as Vertonghen. He's still more than comfortable for a CB though.

Agreed with this assessment. Seeing as we're looking for somebody to partner Colo, I'd go for a Douglas type. As I've said before though, I think he will want to finish the season in Holland so he can get permission to play for the Dutch national team (he has a Dutch passport but needs to have played in NL for 5 years, which he will have in August next year). I believe the Dutch FA have asked special dispensation (not sure on what grounds) to have him available earlier. If they pull that off, and he can be selected for the Euros, I can see him wanting to move this January, but all in all I'd say unlikely.

Douglas is more solid defensively, but not as good a 'footballer' as Vertonghen. He's still more than comfortable for a CB though.

Agreed with this assessment. Seeing as we're looking for somebody to partner Colo, I'd go for a Douglas type. As I've said before though, I think he will want to finish the season in Holland so he can get permission to play for the Dutch national team (he has a Dutch passport but needs to have played in NL for 5 years, which he will have in August next year). I believe the Dutch FA have asked special dispensation (not sure on what grounds) to have him available earlier. If they pull that off, and he can be selected for the Euros, I can see him wanting to move this January, but all in all I'd say unlikely.

Pretty much how I see it really. I viewed him as a more realistic target than Vertonghen as well, wasn't aware he needed to finish this season to be eligible for Holland though.