NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

I'd rather we got a centre back and a winger ahead of a striker tbh, so not too bothered at this moment in time.

Strikers always seem to perform a lot better when they're bought in the Summer anyway

I'd rather we got a centre back and a winger ahead of a striker tbh, so not too bothered at this moment in time.

Strikers always seem to perform a lot better when they're bought in the Summer anyway

:lol:

Thing is though, we'll maybe get an average defender.

Get a grip. This happens every year, you can't still be complaining about Ashley's transfer policy.

Sad but true. Not to worry, I'm sure there will be a few people along soon claiming Pardew is just lying to keep prices down. :pow:

As I've alluded too previously I think all we'll be doing over the coming months is looking for who is out of contract / clause-y in the summer. Market price is not an option.

If this happens it's nice to see the club backing THEIR manager.

@paulfraserecho Paul Fraser

Interesting to hear Pardew say that #nufc 'will not' sign a striker next month. All priorities are centred on a new defender.

59 seconds ago

One new defender would not be enough realistically. We have two centre backs available for the second half of the season and we've seen what happens when we need to rely on the likes of James Perch to come in that position. We have Kadar, but apparently he is not an option even in the case of an emergency. At full back we have been forced to play Raylor out of position for nearly the complete first half of the season, and Santon seems very injury prone. We absolutely need upgrades in both positions.

I don't regard Best/Ameobi as better than Williamson. If Ba is out, we're in deep trouble. 14 of our 25 goals ffs.

I don't think the club will see us as in deep trouble even if Ba was injured. Four more wins and we should be safe- they see the January window as a seller's market and would rather wait until the summer and acquire players on frees.

You have to assume that the club has come out with this stance so early as they expect there to be almost no (or little) value in the market for the club. 

I'm willing to accept this as I would rather the club had its eyes firmly fixed on the long term.  I wouldn't want us to risk a January signing that would almost certainly be over-priced and rushed, now that our only realistic target is no longer an option. 

Absolutely no surprise in this.  The only talk of transfers since the Maiaiga transfer 'collapsed' has been the same defeatist 'we may get a defender in' that we were getting from the start of August with the added 'but the January window is so hard to do business', as well as the high probability of Tiote being sold.  With Tiote it doesn't sound like a hands off warning but more like an invitation to the big clubs to bring their chequebooks.

You have to assume that the club has come out with this stance so early as they expect there to be almost no (or little) value in the market for the club. 

I'm willing to accept this as I would rather the club had its eyes firmly fixed on the long term and didn't want to risk a January signing that would almost certainly be over-priced and rushed, now that our only sure target is no longer an option.

I'd have hoped more than a year of alleged scouting from the best scout in Europe would leave us with more than one idea. Fact is that saving money comes before the needs of an ambitious football team.

Absolutely no surprise in this.  The only talk of transfers since the Maiaiga transfer 'collapsed' has been the same defeatist 'we may get a defender in' that we were getting from the start of August with the added 'but the January window is so hard to do business', as well as the high probability of Tiote being sold.  With Tiote it doesn't sound like a hands off warning but more like an invitation to the big clubs to bring their chequebooks.

I wouldn't call the club trying to address a serious weakness in our squad depth a defeatist attitude.