Nicky Butt

binnsy

There is no point in defending Butt's time at Newcastle.  As much as he tried he was just poor and a weak link in the team most of the time.  For his wages we should have a midfielder that can pass, shoot, tackle and run.

it's not a question of defending his time here as pointing out many who've been as bad and had none of the abuse.

There is no point in defending Butt's time at Newcastle.  As much as he tried he was just poor and a weak link in the team most of the time.  For his wages we should have a midfielder that can pass, shoot, tackle and run.

it's not a question of defending his time here as pointing out many who've been as bad and had none of the abuse.

Most of the people you mentioned above like Smith, Geremi and Nolan hadn't had anywhere near as nailed-down a position as Butt has though. Butt has been a constant in our side for a long time, and has just simply been poor. I would say he's been the worst if only for the amount of game time he's had.

Kevin Nolan can do all those things, just it takes him three times longer than most other players to do them. It's like we hunted high and low for players with the least amount of energy, speed and stamina and then played them all in one mega slow midfield. Even Guthrie looks like he smokes 40 tabs a day.

Who's not had the abuse? Smith got loads, Owen got loads, Ameobi has had feck lods etc.

Who's not had the abuse? Smith got loads, Owen got loads, Ameobi has had feck lods etc.

owen did yes, smith has had nowhere near what butt got and neither has ameobi.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/dec2007/3/4/D86C3F3F-997A-A7E0-78A4A6CFD916EAD9.jpg

Such a long time ago!

fucking hell, has he really been here that long?! :lol:

owen did yes, smith has had nowhere near what butt got and neither has ameobi.

???

My view is pretty much this from True Faith:

It is being widely reported Saturday was Nicky Butt’s St James’ Park swansong at Newcastle United. Nicky has had his trials and tribulations at the club but for me he has always been a fully committed professional, a decent lad, a winner and a credit to himself and Newcastle United. When football nowadays is full of the diamond ear stud, hummer driving tossers, Nicky Butt has been a throwback to a time when players were just like fans. Having met Nicky a couple of times for interviews (when fanzines had access to United players) I can confirm he is the decent lad he is cracked up to be. When he arrived at the club I was delighted we’d signed him and contacts in Manchester sung his praises as a top class pro and decent human being. Nicky’s first season was not a good one. He played with an injury, his form dipped, he refused to hide, he was slaughtered by fans and he was lied about in the press. He was grotesquely mismanaged by Souness (what’s the odds eh?) but to Glenn Roeder’s credit he was rehabilitated and in my opinion he served the club very well. There have been games when Nicky’s age seemed to be catching up with him but for those who were watching closely they saw a lad doing the dirty jobs on a football pitch for his team - tracking runners, screening the back-line, putting his body on the line, making himself available for the pass in a difficult situation etc. In short being a proper footballer. If there was one lad at the club who could have played the Billy Big Balls it was Nicky Butt because after all he’s the only one there who has a box full of medals, international caps and the memories of playing in a World Cup and countless other top matches and tournaments. Being a lad from Manchester who grew up under Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford it is obvious a big, big part of him will be a Red forever. Who would expect any different? However, from both his words and deeds we know Nicky Butt is a Mag and if he does hang up his boots and moves into coaching I’d love him to have a role at our club because there is much a young player could learn from the way he trains and lives his life. Thanks, Nicky!

The abuse he gets on here is totally over the top imo, maybe a smug enjoyment out of taking the piss?? He was a good player for us for a few years, made a scapgoat, and never hid during games. If we had someone with more legs next to him it would have also made a big difference.

It is being widely reported Saturday was Nicky Butt’s St James’ Park swansong at Newcastle United. Nicky has had his trials and tribulations at the club but for me he has always been a fully committed professional, a decent lad, a winner and a credit to himself and Newcastle United. When football nowadays is full of the diamond ear stud, hummer driving tossers, Nicky Butt has been a throwback to a time when players were just like fans. Having met Nicky a couple of times for interviews (when fanzines had access to United players) I can confirm he is the decent lad he is cracked up to be. When he arrived at the club I was delighted we’d signed him and contacts in Manchester sung his praises as a top class pro and decent human being. Nicky’s first season was not a good one. He played with an injury, his form dipped, he refused to hide, he was slaughtered by fans and he was lied about in the press. He was grotesquely mismanaged by Souness (what’s the odds eh?) but to Glenn Roeder’s credit he was rehabilitated and in my opinion he served the club very well. There have been games when Nicky’s age seemed to be catching up with him but for those who were watching closely they saw a lad doing the dirty jobs on a football pitch for his team - tracking runners, screening the back-line, putting his body on the line, making himself available for the pass in a difficult situation etc. In short being a proper footballer. If there was one lad at the club who could have played the Billy Big Balls it was Nicky Butt because after all he’s the only one there who has a box full of medals, international caps and the memories of playing in a World Cup and countless other top matches and tournaments. Being a lad from Manchester who grew up under Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford it is obvious a big, big part of him will be a Red forever. Who would expect any different? However, from both his words and deeds we know Nicky Butt is a Mag and if he does hang up his boots and moves into coaching I’d love him to have a role at our club because there is much a young player could learn from the way he trains and lives his life. Thanks, Nicky!

The abuse he gets on here is totally over the top imo, maybe a smug enjoyment out of taking the piss?? He was a good player for us for a few years, made a scapgoat, and never hid during games. If we had someone with more legs next to him it would have also made a big difference.

Absolutely spot on.

It's always the case with our players that we need someone with more legs next to them, usually because they are past their sell by date. This is definitely the case with Nicky Butt otherwise Man U wouldn't have let him go, same as they let Smith go because he was becoming a liability rather than an asset. Both are fantastic pros, just like Owen was and no doubt Nolan still is, but put too many of these types in the same team and you end up with stationary, legless bunch of good lads who end up relegated from the premier.

He's going, good.  I can't think of any player who has been in our midfield this season who should have been dropped for Butt.

I don't see how anybody else can be blamed for Butt's inability to make a clean tackle without giving a free kick or penalty away.  Or how anybody else can be blamed for his failed hollywood passes which far too often drop to the opposition.

He's going, good.  I can't think of any player who has been in our midfield this season who should have been dropped for Butt.

I don't see how anybody else can be blamed for Butt's inability to make a clean tackle without giving a free kick or penalty away.  Or how anybody else can be blamed for his failed hollywood passes which far too often drop to the opposition.

hes made plenty of clean tackles and most of his passes (though not the hollywood ones) find their man.

hes made plenty of clean tackles and most of his passes (though not the hollywood ones) find their man.

I could have worded my comment about his tackling a bit better but I doubt any of our players give away as much as Butt, his tackling is poor considering it's such a big part of his game.

I could have worded my comment about his tackling a bit better but I doubt any of our players give away as much as Butt, his tackling is poor considering it's such a big part of his game.

his tackling was fine his first 3 or 4 years but he did have the awfully professional habit of bringing down any players who were breaking free in the middle. the werent his players all the time either. players like scholes love playing against us as for years  we've only ever marked forwards.

One of things I disliked about Butt is that he always seemed to think he could dink the ball over the top of the full back.  He couldn't and he rarely got it right.  Complete waste of possesion when he did it and fucked it up, which would be at least two or three times a game.

One of things I disliked about Butt is that he always seemed to think he could dink the ball over the top of the full back.  He couldn't and he rarely got it right.  Complete waste of possesion when he did it and f***ed it up, which would be at least two or three times a game.

a bug bear of mine and not just about butt. every club will sometime use the ball behind the full back or between full back and centre half as a get out ball and the forwards will often look for it......................we haven't done this since les ferdinand.

his tackling was fine his first 3 or 4 years but he did have the awfully professional habit of bringing down any players who were breaking free in the middle. the werent his players all the time either. players like scholes love playing against us as for years  we've only ever marked forwards.

It doesn't matter whose players they were, Butt was close enough to make the tackle and they weren't clean so he's got to take the blame for what resulted.  As far as I'm concerned he's only had one good season while here and that was after returning from Birmingham.

a bug bear of mine and not just about butt. every club will sometime use the ball behind the full back or between full back and centre half as a get out ball and the forwards will often look for it......................we haven't done this since les ferdinand.

Les Ferdinand is in my top 3 or 4 all time favourite Newcastle forwards and he'd possibly come top of the list, he was brilliant and probably the best header of a ball we've ever had and that includes putting him above Wyn Davies who was regarded as being very good with his head.

Les Ferdinand is in my top 3 or 4 all time favourite Newcastle forwards and he'd possibly come top of the list, he was brilliant and probably the best header of a ball we've ever had and that includes putting him above Wyn Davies who was regarded as being very good with his head.

he would be looking for any get out ball from an under pressure player, often it went down as a good pass but was just as often a case of ferdinand making the most of a percentage ball.

• 3 weeks later...
OSSIE ARDILES AND NICKY BUTT APPLY FOR THE MANAGER’S JOB AT OLDHAM

OSSIE Ardiles and Nicky Butt have applied for the manager’s job at Oldham.

The former Spurs boss, 57, is desperate to get back into work and wants to replace Dave Penney.

And Butt, 35, who has just left Newcastle, is eager to return to his native North West.

Former Stockport boss Jim Gannon is favourite to succeed Penney – but could return to Edgeley Park with the 2015 Group set to take over as new owners.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/135442/Ossie-Ardiles-and-Nicky-Butt-apply-for-the-manager-s-job-at-Oldham/