Steven Taylor back soon

Him and Carroll signing new long term deals is about the best news were going to get all summer.

Sadly true.

I'd have been prepared to bin him but the money wouldn't get re-invested so there is little point.

Him and Carroll signing new long term deals is about the best news were going to get all summer.

Sadly true.

I'd have been prepared to bin him but the money wouldn't get re-invested so there is little point.

As long as we aint moving backwards. It's not beyond the realms of possibility for Ashley to grab 5-7 mil for one of them and then we end up buying some cheap gash as a replacement whilst using most of the money for his own gain.

Rejecting 7mil (which is obv b****ks) is a good move for us I reckon, shows we at least have footballing priorities not just balance book priorities

I must say I'm still not convinced with Taylor. He's in the same boat as Coloccini for me. He's never had a full season while looking like a good Premier league defender. Ok he's a class above the Championship and he can hack it in the premier league, but has he ever proved he's got what it takes to perform well, week in week out without making errors? Not yet he hasn't.

Having said that, I do think he's matured over this year and I do think, if he stays he'll have a good season, however he's still yet to prove he justifys the hype and he can do it on a consistent basis.

Guest Phil K

You were correct the first time. He did play for the Mackems but it was in the Championship, not the Premier League.

Just curious - do you believe Danny Simpson is capable of cutting it in the Prem, going by your defence of him ?

SERIOUSLY ? ?

If he was no great plus in the Championship how on earth is he going to do it in the Prem FGS ?

Steven Taylor is no right back. I'd prefer having Simpson in his natural position than playing Taylor there - unless someone properly coaches him in the art of being a full back. Currently he looks cumbersome on the ball and isn't great reading the line from out wide. I'm not saying it's impossible and I hope he proves me wrong, but with our current squad I'd prefer Simpson or R.Taylor at RB. 

Steven "Cafu" Taylor is a quality right back, what games are you watching thenige?

i'd say he's a better centre half than right back but can perform adequatly there plus i'd rather him there than anyone else we have on the books.

Steven Taylor is no right back. I'd prefer having Simpson in his natural position than playing Taylor there - unless someone properly coaches him in the art of being a full back. Currently he looks cumbersome on the ball and isn't great reading the line from out wide. I'm not saying it's impossible and I hope he proves me wrong, but with our current squad I'd prefer Simpson or R.Taylor at RB. 

Madness.

Taylor at RB is definitely the way to go for CH. Some big Samba/Hangeland style CB to partner Colo would be ideal as Williamson may not make the step up successfully- despite being quite big and tall, he does not seem to be very strong IMO.

Kinnear picked that team.

But Hughton surely picked the teams against Everton, Bolton, Hull, ManUtd and Arsenal.

Just checked it on .com. Taylor was right back in every match of those with Colo and Bassong in the middle.

I' in the Taylor for centre back camp myself. Would prefer he was a the club to be a centre back or back up right back and we hopefully purchase a new right back

thats my position whilst also saying, in the few games he's played there he's looked best right back at the club.

Guest Roger Kint

As it stands right now and no "capital outlay" (so lets assume no one leaves and no one joins) our best back four is:

S Taylor  Williamson Collocini  Enrique

IMHO

Hard to find anyone to disagree there mate

I think there is an element of the old rose tinted glasses with his right back contribution.  He wa sall too often caaught marauding forward and left woefully out of position (Bolton is the best example I can think of) and he started committing dangerous kung fu type tackles when wingers ran at him.  He was lucky not to be sent off on a couple of occasions.

Guest Roger Kint

I think there is an element of the old rose tinted glasses with his right back contribution.  He wa sall too often caaught marauding forward and left woefully out of position (Bolton is the best example I can think of) and he started committing dangerous kung fu type tackles when wingers ran at him.  He was lucky not to be sent off on a couple of occasions.

I dont think its so much rose tinted for most, just he has gaping flaws at CB and is a better chance than Simpson at present. Personally i would rather have a good RB brought in, thats not an issue though

I dont think its so much rose tinted for most, just he has gaping flaws at CB and is a better chance than Simpson at present. Personally i would rather have a good RB brought in, thats not an issue though

wouldn't disagree with any of that.  he's still a worry at right back for me though