Steven Taylor back soon

You can't get much higher than La liga and the World Cup.

Different to playing in the PL.

I don't think his ability was in question, whether he could adapt to this league was another matter. We're talking about a bloke who shone in a league against the likes of Torres, Villa, Eto'o etc.

The fact is he still has to prove he can perform in the PL. If not, he's useless to us regardless of his performances in Spain or the Argie leagues or for his NT.

As I said, his reputation in world football has not been affected by this season. He came to us with a big reputation worldwide.

Yet he's seen by many British pundits as being a bit of a liability.

As I said, his reputation in world football has not been affected by this season. He came to us with a big reputation worldwide.

So is Enrique.

Either way, you cannot argue that Colo built any sort of reputation from August to Jan this season, he just restored a bit of faith.

Anyway, daft arguement.

So is Enrique.

Either way, you cannot argue that Colo built any sort of reputation from August to Jan this season, he just restored a bit of faith.

Anyway, daft arguement.

So is Enrique.

Anyway, daft arguement.

Begun - and lost - by you.

I've almost blanked last season out of my mind now, but was Coloshown up against quality strikers, or against typical lower rate physical English/French/African types?

You can't get much higher than La liga and the World Cup.

Different to playing in the PL.

I don't think his ability was in question, whether he could adapt to this league was another matter. We're talking about a bloke who shone in a league against the likes of Torres, Villa, Eto'o etc.

The fact is he still has to prove he can perform in the PL. If not, he's useless to us regardless of his performances in Spain or the Argie leagues or for his NT.

This is the truth, people are putting a lot of different spins on it but it comes down to this.

So is Enrique.

Anyway, daft arguement.

So is Enrique.

Anyway, daft arguement.

Begun - and lost - by you.

You don't have a clue what you're arguing, why, or how to quote.

Colo bases his whole defensive game on anticipation and getting in front of the attacker. He has done well this season but he was too slow, weak and poor in the air in the PL. He better have learned his lesson or he will get torn to pieces again.

He's no slower or weaker than Carvalho. It's about finding a way to play to your strengths and away from your weaknesses, which can take time in a new league. He's certainly got plenty between the ears, i'm sure he'll be fine.

Carvalho was far better. Colo let's himself be drawn into awful positions. He needs to learn from his first PL season. Our defence didn't play as a unit.

As it happens I believe Danny Simpson is the real defensive weak link. He simply isn't quick enough and he got raped in the PL with the Mackems.

The fact that we have a lack pace through the spine of the team will leave us exposed time and time again next year and Hughton has to address this. There were times against ordinary sides last year where we were hit on the counter attack and our midfield was caught 40 yards or so off their attacking midfielders. We got away with it this year; next year we wont.

Carvalho was far better. Colo let's himself be drawn into awful positions. He needs to learn from his first PL season. Our defence didn't play as a unit.

As it happens I believe Danny Simpson is the real defensive weak link. He simply isn't quick enough and he got raped in the PL with the Mackems.

The fact that we have a lack pace through the spine of the team will leave us exposed time and time again next year and Hughton has to address this. There were times against ordinary sides last year where we were hit on the counter attack and our midfield was caught 40 yards or so off their attacking midfielders. We got away with it this year; next year we wont.

He didn't play in the PL with the Mackems.  ANd yet you speak about his capabilities with such authority

Didn't Simpson play with Blackburn and do a decent if unspectacular job? I still think he is the weak link of the back 4 mind and would rather Steven Taylor at right back next season.

Didn't Simpson play with Blackburn and do a decent if unspectacular job? I still think he is the weak link of the back 4 mind and would rather Steven Taylor at right back next season.

He was on loan there but I don't think he ended up playing many games and did not impress Blackburn supporters.

played a lot before christmas of last season not much after

Keep Taylor and Play him RB as Cajun says. Bring Sanderos in on a Free or someone solid and experienced for the Centre/utility.

Simpson is still young and will up his game if he has someone to a) learn from and b) compete with.

Those people on here who are fail to rate Colo on last seasons performance need a reality check.

Who DID play well last season?????????????????????

In my opinion, the main reason the team failed last season wasnt down to the ineptitude of the defence but the pathetic midfield performances by a plethera of players and the failure of our forwards to take some of the easier chances on offer, particularly Martins and Owen.

The fact the club was in utter turmoil didnt help with 4 different managers with differing views on how the team should be set up didnt help either.

Factor in his first season in a new team, new league, new country and a different type of football to what he was used to, isnt it any wonder he didnt impress?

If we can keep the same attitude of players next season, that has been maintained this season, I dont see Colo being a problem. Likewise Taylor and Enrigue. My main concern will be how Williamson will adapt to PL football. Hopefully he will turn out like another Roger Johnson.

Anyway, we have the basis of a good squad, more than capable of surviving in the PL and with three or four astute signings , I dont see any reason why we cannot achieve midtable safety.

He didn't play in the PL with the Mackems.  ANd yet you speak about his capabilities with such authority

I stand corrected in that. Doesn't make him any quicker.

Those people on here who are fail to rate Colo on last seasons performance need a reality check.

Who DID play well last season?????????????????????

In my opinion, the main reason the team failed last season wasnt down to the ineptitude of the defence but the pathetic midfield performances by a plethera of players and the failure of our forwards to take some of the easier chances on offer, particularly Martins and Owen.

The fact the club was in utter turmoil didnt help with 4 different managers with differing views on how the team should be set up didnt help either.

Factor in his first season in a new team, new league, new country and a different type of football to what he was used to, isnt it any wonder he didnt impress?

If we can keep the same attitude of players next season, that has been maintained this season, I dont see Colo being a problem. Likewise Taylor and Enrigue. My main concern will be how Williamson will adapt to PL football. Hopefully he will turn out like another Roger Johnson.

Anyway, we have the basis of a good squad, more than capable of surviving in the PL and with three or four astute signings , I dont see any reason why we cannot achieve midtable safety.

Bassong, Enrique and Given did. Guthrie done ok as well I thought, but that was simply the fact he at times tried to take responsibility whereas some of his more experienced colleagues such as Nolan just hid and appeared to do their very best to shy away from things.

• 1 month later...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_6199742,00.html

Taylor set for new Toon deal

Hughton hopeful over defender's contract

Last updated: 10th June 2010   

Newcastle boss Chris Hughton has revealed Steven Taylor is close to signing a new deal at the club.

Taylor's future at St James' Park has been the subject of intense speculation in recent months with the defender having just over a year to run on his current deal.

A number of clubs are understood to be monitoring the defender's situation, but Hughton fully expects the 24-year-old to extend his stay on Tyneside.

"As I understand it work is being done at the moment on a new contract for Steven Taylor and we're hopeful he will sign it," Hughton told The Journal.

"It's something we've been working on for a while, but these things do take some time.

"I've had a chat with Steven and he's very much a player we want to keep and from what he has told me, he is also someone who very much wants to stay at Newcastle United."