World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

Goalkeepers - Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green

Defenders - Leighton Baines, Mathew Upson, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry.

Midfielders - Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Theo Walcott.

Forwards - Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney.

My 23.

whos back up rb ???

There's not one in the squad - stick Milner there if it's absolutely necessary.

Defenders - Leighton Baines, Mathew Upson, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry.

Midfielders - Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Theo Walcott.

My 23.

whos back up rb ???

That's what Carragher's been brought in for.  But as you said, I'd rather have Milner than Carragher.

It's scary to think that a lot of players in the squad are either injury prone or coming back from injury.

Thats why you have another 2 + Walcott to change things.  Better that than not take him at all and pair Rooney with Bent expecting the pair to hit off straight away.

Would much rather start Crouch than Heskey, although I'm not too big a fan of that lanky bugger either.

Truthfully, I'd be looking to play a 4-5-1 with Wazza upfront alone. Capello, admittedly, has considerably greater managerial experience than myself, so I suppose I'll have to trust him.

My 23.

whos back up rb ???

That's what Carragher's been brought in for.  But as you said, I'd rather have Milner than Carragher.

It's scary to think that a lot of players in the squad are either injury prone or coming back from injury.

We have an outside chance with Rooney, we have no chance without him, that's scary.

Still, my spirit is high, I think its going to be a good summer.

Is it just me who doesn't see the pointed of naming a 30 man squad just to knock it down? Surely just name people as stand-bys would be fairer instead of getting peoples hopes up for no reason.

This. The league's are over anyways so it's unlikely that injuries would happen.

Makes for good competition, no one is safe and to be there as back-up and not first choice if an injury happens in camp could effect morale of that player.

Gives a chance for fringe players to get in the spirit and build their hopes up, of course they'll be gutted if they miss the cut, but still until then you've got a fully focused player training his heart out to impress before a WC.

Good point TT.

On a side note I'd drop Baines, King, Parker, Bent, SWP, Dawson and Barry/Huddlestone (dependent on fitness).

Carra shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. Atrocious RB and I'm not for people playing out of position.

My 23.

whos back up rb ???

We have an outside chance with Rooney, we have no chance without him, that's scary.

Still, my spirit is high, I think its going to be a good summer.

Isn't that the case with almost every team?

Portugal will only have a chance of doing well (not winning) with C.Ronaldo, Brazil with Kaka, Germany only if Ballack will have another very good tournament (like 2002 or sometimes 2006), Ivory Coast will only have a chance to survive the group stages if Drogba does well... and so on and so on. Every team has their player (for some teams it are probably 2 or 3 players) they have to rely on. Probably only Spain who have a very good team even without the likes of Torres or Xavi.

Is it true Nigeria have named 11 strikers in their squad ?   :lol:

Just 6 in their provisional 30 man squad.

Strikers: Yakubu Aiyegbeni (Everton, England), Victor Anichebe (Everton, England), Nwankwo Kanu (Portsmouth, England), Obafemi Martins (Wolfsburg, Germany), Ikechukwu Uche (Real Zaragoza, Spain), Victor Obinna Nsofor (Malaga, Spain)

Another debate................. Lampard and Gerrard in the middle?

:no:

Lampard with Carrick/Barry.

Gerrard on one of the wings.

Judging on form, I wouldn't even have Gerrard in the team.  I'd keep it balanced have Joe Cole on the left and Lennon on the right.

My 23

Goalkeepers: Hart, James, Green

Defenders: Cole, Warnock, Terry, Ferdinand, King, Upson, Johnson, Carragher(reluctantly as we need rb cover)

Midfielders: Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Parker, J Cole, Milner, Johnson, Walcott

Strikers:Heskey, Crouch, Bent, Rooney

Bent in, hopefully stays in  :clap:

Looking at that list, barring injury, I can't see Capello picking him ahead of Rooney, Heskey, Defore and Crouch.

He might go with 5 strikers.

he'll take Walcott, who will act as cover as 5th striker and can play wide right.

Goalkeepers

Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry

Midfielders

Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Theo Walcott

Forwards

Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

if I were to be brave and take 5 strikers.

For the more sensible option take Barry and drop either Defoe or Bent.

Looking at that list, barring injury, I can't see Capello picking him ahead of Rooney, Heskey, Defore and Crouch.

he'll take Walcott, who will act as cover as 5th striker and can play wide right.

Wenger doesn't even play him as a striker, why would Capello?

Wenger doesn't even play him as a striker, why would Capello?

Coz he's down wit da kidz innit.

GK: Hart, James, Green

DEF: G Johnson, Carragher (unfortunately), Terry, Ferdinand, King, Upson, A Cole, Warnock

MID: Lennon, Walcott, Lampard, Gerrard, Barry, Milner, Carrick, J Cole

FOR: Rooney, Heskey, Crouch, Defoe

.....and Adam Johnson gets unlucky.

btw, Haris Vuckic didn't make Slovenia's provisional

England squad:

Goalkeepers:

Robert Green

David James

Joe Hart

Defenders:

Ashley Cole

Leighton Baines

Rio Ferdinand

John Terry

Michael Dawson

Matthew Upson

Glen Johnson

Midfielders:

Joe Cole

Adam Johnson

Frank Lampard

Steven Gerrard

Michael Carrick

Gareth Barry

Aaron Lennon

Theo Walcott

Forwards:

Wayne Rooney

Emile Heskey

Jermaine Defoe

Darren Bent

Peter Crouch

When are you ever gonna need eight defenders? You don't; simples. I'd rather have more striking options. If we were to take four, it would be between Bent and Crouch for the chop - but i'd rather have them both in. One's a fucking handful and the other's had a magnificent season.

Bollocks cover for right-back; it's our weakest link anyway. And Carragher's a shit cunt. Either way, if Johnson were injured, we'd be putting a square peg in a round hole with regards to cover. I wouldn't bring anyone in specifically for cover at right-back, unless they actually were one. I'm on holiday in Stratford at the start of the World Cup meaning i'm unavailable, so just stick with seven defenders.

Guest je85

From Oliver Kay's twitter:

Capello: "I spoke with Zamora and the problem is he plays always with injections."

Capello: "Yes I spoke with Scholes. He said no. He prefers to stay with Manchester."