World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- Diego Maradona has promised to run naked through the center of Buenos Aires if Argentina wins the World Cup.

The Argentina coach made the promise during a radio show. The unpredictable Maradona was speaking a day after Argentina defeated Canada 5-0 Monday in its final warm-up match before the World Cup.

Argentina plays in Group B, opening against Nigeria on June 12. The Gauchos also face Greece and South Korea.

:lol: he is just non stop entertainment this man. More than enough space to fit everyone in on the Av. 9 de Julio who'd want to watch it n all.

http://www.mostinterestingfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/widest-street-in-the-world-9-de-Julio-Avenue-from-top.jpg

Anyone know roughly what USA's starting 11 will be?

Howard

Spector  DeMerit  Gooch  Bocanegra

Bradley

Dempsey          Holden          Beasley

Donovan

Altidore

Something along those lines I'd imagine.  Not totally sure though as the squad hasn't started as a whole in a longtime (even at the Confed Cup it was still mostly a B-team).

France 0-1 Costa Rica.

Edit: not for long.

Mandanda nearly fucking up there - don't rate him in the slightest.

Is this being played at Lens? I recognise the stadium but not sure where it is.

Might give Chile a watch later. Not that a game against Zambia's really going to tell us loads but I haven't watched them in a while. Anyone know if the line-up will be similar to the expected one in their first game?

France 0-1 Costa Rica.

Edit: not for long.

Mandanda nearly f***ing up there - don't rate him in the slightest.

Is this being played at Lens? I recognise the stadium but not sure where it is.

Mandanda is too inconsistent to be great, but he's still a very good keeper. Great shot stopper.

Might give Chile a watch later. Not that a game against Zambia's really going to tell us loads but I haven't watched them in a while. Anyone know if the line-up will be similar to the expected one in their first game?

Zambia just had a change of manager, but if the squad is still playing the way they were in qualifying and the ACN it will be a decent match. They hustle with pace.

Guest MrSundlofer

World Cup 2010 pre-talk:

Will Jonas Gutierrez start on the wing for Argentina?

Will Robinho play for Brazil?

Will Nicolas Otamendi start in defence for Argentina?

Will Jerome Boateng start in defence for Germany?

In what position will Lukas Podolski play for Germany?

Will Milan Jovanovic play left wing or striker for Serbia?

Can Slovakia finish 2nd in their group? And will Stanislav Sestak play right wing or striker?

Who will play in defence for Holland?

Can France with Patrice Evra, Florent Malouda and Nicolas Anelka be good? Frank Ribery, Florent Malouda and Yoann Gourcuff will probably start in midfield for France... But one is missing... Who?

What about Chile?

What about 'group G'?

World Cup 2010 pre-talk:

wing back I'd imagine

yes

no

dunno

support striker

Left Wing

Can Slovakia finish 2nd in their group? And will Stanislav Sestak play right wing or striker?

Upfront, I reckon Paraguay will oust then but that is the weakest group.

dunno

Can France with Patrice Evra, Florent Malouda and Nicolas Anelka be good? Frank Ribery, Florent Malouda and Yoann Gourcuff will probably start in midfield for France... But one is missing... Who?

Toulalan will start also in midfield I'd imagine. They might play 4-3-3, first part of the question i don't understand.

What about Chile?

They'll be worth a watch, playing nice attacking football and have a few very handy players. Bit dodgy at the back.

What about 'group C'?

England will win it with Algeria coming last with 0 points. Slovenia and USA will tie on 4 points.

Guest MrSundlofer

World Cup 2010 pre-talk:

wing back I'd imagine

yes

no

dunno

support striker

Left Wing

dunno

Toulalan will start also in midfield I'd imagine. They might play 4-3-3, first part of the question i don't understand.

What about Chile?

They'll be worth a watch, playing nice attacking football and have a few very handy players. Bit dodgy at the back.

What about 'group C'?

England will win it with Algeria coming last with 0 points. Slovenia and USA will tie on 4 points.

Thank you but I would be happy if you motivate your answer. Why will Jovanovic play left wing? Why will Sestak play striker? And why will Jonás play wing back? A to big gamble from Maradona I think.

And will Robinho really play?

I never rated Ching so I am pleased. Buddle has been doing well this season and is only four players of 23 who actually play in the US.

Not to mention him and Donovan have had a great "partnership" so far for Galaxy this season. Hopefully they'll translate that to the US as well.

I'd expect whoever we play out wide to give them fullbacks a good raping.

Reckon Davies will be a big loss to you aswell, thought he looked a canny player.

Davies would have done well. There are a lot of kids in the US side who will get good experience too. Problem is, if Dempsey and Donovan are injured it's all over.

World Cup 2010 pre-talk:

wing back I'd imagine

yes

no

dunno

support striker

Left Wing

dunno

What about Chile?

What about 'group C'?

Thank you but I would be happy if you motivate your answer. Why will Jovanovic play left wing? Why will Sestak play striker? And why will Jonás play wing back? A to big gamble from Maradona I think.

And will Robinho really play?

Maradona is mental and so you can't really second guess him but he has a boatload of central defenders in the squad and played that way in a recent friendly v Canada and it worked and he usually keeps things if they work no matter the opposition.

Jovanovic plays LF for his club IIRC but the one time i've seen Serbia play Pantelic and Zigic were a front too and he was LW.

Robinho gives Brazil the pace they lack and has done alright for them despite his shitness for City, done ok at Santos though. Dunga won't change much if anything from how they played in the Quals where i believe he started most games.

Sestak I don't know enough about to talk at in any depth.

Got this song stuck in my head .

Right in my head man.  :lol:

Very catchy though as people have said.

Disco: aye, it's at Lens.

It's not the offical World Cup song though. It's Coca Cola's offical World Cup Kick-Off song, and the main theme of the WC 10 game. If I'm not mistaken, Shakira is the one who's done the official song.