World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

Jeff Selogilwe is one hell of a character  :lol:

Says he got sad when Rooney said "f*** you" because he is his favorite player  :lol:

Hopefully he isn't a ref in England  :thup:

why ?

the quicker refs stand up for themselves like this the better the game will be.

Jeff Selogilwe is one hell of a character  :lol:

Says he got sad when Rooney said "fuck you" because he is his favorite player  :lol:

Hopefully he isn't a ref in England  :thup:

Milking his short time in the limelight for all it's worth.

Concentrate on far more important things to deal with then some short term emotion from a player.

Do you rather have 22 players out there with no emotions at all?

Of course things happen in the heat of the moment and sometimes it get's a bit to far, don't see the problem.

Deal with other things instead, like diving and shirt tugging etc.

yeah like rugby union players have no emotion. stop players telling refs to fuck off and your most of the way to getting them to stop surrounding the ref shouting and balling when a decsioin goes against them. have some balls man ref, book thewm for not retreating for a free kick, book them for back chat, book them for each and every deliberate foul. regain control and the players WILL follow.

stupid idea to let things go to concentrate on other things. it just doesn't work that way.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I don't think a simple "fuck you" should be a problem

How? Its a total lack of respect to anyone, let alone a match official. Its no different if you had said that at school to a teacher, you'd be hauled in front of the Principle and your parents would have been informed.

Concentrate on far more important things to deal with then some short term emotion from a player.

Do you rather have 22 players out there with no emotions at all?

Of course things happen in the heat of the moment and sometimes it get's a bit to far, don't see the problem.

Deal with other things instead, like diving and shirt tugging etc.

yeah like rugby union players have no emotion. stop players telling refs to fuck off and your most of the way to getting them to stop surrounding the ref shouting and balling when a decsioin goes against them. have some balls man ref, book thewm for not retreating for a free kick, book them for back chat, book them for each and every deliberate foul. regain control and the players WILL follow.

stupid idea to let things go to concentrate on other things. it just doesn't work that way.

Exactly, thats how it all starts.

One player saying to the ref 'Fuck You' over a decision throws the Refs authority in the air. Now other players will be questioning his decisions, swearing at him, hounding. You can't swear at match officials. Its something you're now taught at youth level all the way up. FA even send people around to watch games now, not so much the game, but people's behaviour during the game - match officials, players, parents watching and coaching staff.

Any incidents of 'Lack of Respect' to each other or officials is flagged up by the FA, which can lead to fines. Fines which can really hurt small community teams. Yet, how are 8 year olds to know better if they see Wayne Rooney saying to a ref 'Fuck You' and nothing is made of it.

Who takes the Argies' penalties and free-kicks?

Messi/Veron FKs, not sure on pens.

Just for Fantasy Football purposes, surely its Messi that takes their pens? Takes Barca's doesn't he?

I really like Elia.

Surprised there hasn't been any talk of Prem clubs going for him, looked really good in the Europa League as well this season. I can see him making a big impact from the bench for Holland - might even get a starting slot now Robben is out.

Watching some friendlies there during the week.

I'd forgotten all about the stupid horns that the locals insist on blowing from start to finish of every match.

Has the potential to really ruin this World Cup, like.

Guest kingdawson

I really like Elia.

Surprised there hasn't been any talk of Prem clubs going for him, looked really good in the Europa League as well this season. I can see him making a big impact from the bench for Holland - might even get a starting slot now Robben is out.

Tottenham Set Sights On £12m Wing Wizard: Redknapp Looks to Sign Hot Prospect Elia

by Christian Bailey on June 5th, 2010 8 comments Share: 

Digg

tweetmeme_url='http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/06/05/tottenham-set-sights-on-12m-wing-wizard-redknapp-looks-to-sign-hot-prospect-elia/';tweetmeme_style='compact';tweetmeme_source='caughtoffside';

Email

Print

White Hart Lane boss looks to Hamburg star to add more strength in depth.

Join CaughtOffside’s World Cup 2010 Fantasy Football League and win £5k!

Harry Redknapp is apparently setting his sights on impressive young Dutch international winger Eljero Elia as he looks to further strengthen his White Hart Lane squad ahead of next seasons Champions League campaign. The 21 year old Hamburg man is part of Holland’s World Cup squad and has been a big hit in the Bundesliga since his move from FC Twente last summer.

The Tottenham boss is looking at additions that will offer multiple options and £12m rated Eljero Elia is a player who whilst working very well as an out and out winger also has the ability to play as a striker alongside a target man. The speedy pint sized attacker may well consider a move to the Premier League but could perhaps be a little deterred by the possibility of not being a first choice starter.

Seen as one of the hottest prospects in Dutch football Elia has also been linked with moves to Liverpool and Manchester City and has also been courted by interest in Italy. Even though the youngster had a good season his club failed to finish in the top six and therefore will miss out on the chance to perform in Europe and given the manner in which Elia faired during Hamburg’s run to the Europa League Semi Finals one would imagine the chance to ply his trade in the Champions League may be a tempting offer to consider.

I'd forgotten all about the stupid horns that the locals insist on blowing from start to finish of every match.

It's their country. They can do what they like.

It's their country. They can do what they like.

They can.

Doesn't change much in regards to what I said though.

Might invest in some Solpadeine shares over the next few weeks.

Guest Stephen927

Rio has told the BBC he is flying home after the USA game but is hoping to return later in the tournament.

Aye, just saw. At least that further cements Lleidson in the team - interested to see how he does.

Portugal v Mozambique and Spain v Poland today, in what I think are the last friendlies before the big kick-off.