World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

How confident are people that England will beat USA? I think it'll be a tough game and we'll just about labour to a 1 1 draw.

Extremely confident.

Their defence is f***ing shocking. The embarrassment of failing to beat a country that isn't even aware the World Cup is on would be too much  :undecided:

The US has bought more World Cup tickets than any other country.

Fucking yanks.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

How confident are people that England will beat USA? I think it'll be a tough game and we'll just about labour to a 1 1 draw.

Extremely confident.

Their defence is f***ing shocking. The embarrassment of failing to beat a country that isn't even aware the World Cup is on would be too much  :undecided:

The US has bought more World Cup tickets than any other country.

Aye, its not the 80s anymore. US are aware of 'Soccer' and us such their unquestionable Patriotism is behind their team - can never question them on that.

Guest BooBoo

For me the hardest group to call is group A, have a feeling Uruguay may end up bottom though.

Yep, very tough group to call with any certainty although I think Mexico and Uruguay might just squeeze through.

Eurosport in having the absolute worst pre-WC show ever. They speak in African, Portuguese, Spanish, French or whatever, and there's no texting because it's live and no interpretors. Do they really think they make a good show when they have so many languages nobody gets what's going on without being a complete language nerd? :lol:

For me the hardest group to call is group A, have a feeling Uruguay may end up bottom though.

Yep, very tough group to call with any certainty although I think Mexico and Uruguay might just squeeze through.

I've been racking my brain about Group A for a week now. Could be any of them who come out.

I've been racking my brain about Group A for a week now. Could be any of them who come out.

Don't get why Group G is the public's "group of death". Pretty straightforward that Brazil and Portugal will make it out of it.

Maradonas supposd starting eleven, get in there Jonas

Sergio Romero –

Gabriel Heinze, Martin Demichelis, Walter Samuel –

Jonas Gutierrez, Javier Mascherano, Juan Sebastian Veron, Angel Di Maria –

Leo Messi, Gonzalo Higuain, Carlos Tevez

Surprised. I thought he was going for the flat-back 4 with otamendi at RB.

Thinking about the amount of work Jonas puts in i think he will be a defender and attacker at the same time.

He will be everywhere along his side.

Obvious that is what he's included Jonas for but the inclusion of Di Maria in the same position on the other side puzzles me.

Will he really put the necessary shift in for a back 3 to work? Can't see it.

I got Argentina, Paraguay, Greece & Algeria in my family WC draw today.

Gutted i didn't get spain, think I'll stick a tenner on them to win so i can also win money when they do.

My Uncle got Saffa, Spain & Portugal the jammy bastard, right lucky bugger he is.

I dont see how people are expecting england to get past the quarters. The way i see it, if france win group A, they will face england in the quarters and if the french have made it that far they are dangerous. At the same time, if uruguay made it that far i would also be worried.

I dont see how people are expecting england to get past the quarters. The way i see it, if france win group A, they will face england in the quarters and if the french have made it that far they are dangerous. At the same time, if uruguay made it that far i would also be worried.

I'd have no real worries about France, they are about the same level of talent as us if not a little weaker, but out of real form and mis-managed to death.

Can someone tell me why we've got 3 lions? Why lions are associated with England, from my knowledge we've never had lions roaming England, did we pick it up on the crusades? Was it before then? Even so, that's only slightly near where the majority of lions hang about.

Seems strange to me.

JONAS GUTIERREZ got a shock when he opened his suitcase in South Africa - he had not bothered to pack any ordinary clothes.

Newcastle's Argy ace said: "I only took my Argentina gear. I thought I was not going to need more than that. My room-mate Martin Demichelis had to lend me some of his own clothes."

Gutierrez sorted himself out with a quick trip to Pretoria's Menlyn Shopping Mall.

He added: "I bought trousers and a shirt."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/worldcup2010/3007250/Jonas-Gutierrezs-world-cup-baggage-is-out-of-the-ordinary.html#ixzz0qPNvEzuh

Can someone tell me why we've got 3 lions? Why lions are associated with England, from my knowledge we've never had lions roaming England, did we pick it up on the crusades? Was it before then? Even so, that's only slightly near where the majority of lions hang about.

Seems strange to me.

This bloke;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_the_lionheart

He sounded like a right twat, would sell London if he could, hated England and was only king for the title. Also had loads of Jews killed, what a guy.

I saw where he was tagged lionheart, and subsequently why the Lion emblem became part of our heritage, but why Lion? Seems a bit strange still; an animal many had never seen, not native to our land to become a national symbol. Maybe the mystique of the beast was the reason he went for it.

Still a national symbol of an animal that never graced this land wildly is a tad strange imo.