World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

We have a favourable draw which should help us massively.

GP - Should win group

16 - likely to play Serbia - should be able to sneak a win

QF - then play one of France/Uruguay/Mexico/Nigeria/Korea

If we finish top of our group - we'll probably play Serbia or Ghana, I'm going for Serbia.

Quarter's we'll play the winner of Group 1 (which in my opinion is the hardest to call) or the runners-up of Group 2. Will the French fuck it up royally and not even leave the group? Uruguay and Mexico are both good teams on their day. Nigeria will surely be the runners-up of Group 2. Either way - Nigeria, Mexico, Uruguay and France are the sort of teams we should beat.

I reckon we'll face the Argies in the Semis (if we get there) which will be a massive match.

That leaves Brazil or Spain in the final ...

Guest palnese

GP - Should win group

Walkover tbf, if that is your possible opponents.

GP - Should win group

Depends which France turn up tbh.

GP - Should win group

Nobody seems to place any emphasis on the draw compared to the groups and  Spain have a potentially really tricky route to the final which is why I think they wont win it.

GP - Should win group

Agree, Serbia would be tough but I'd much rather play them then a South American team, we should beat them. I honestly think France will be out by the quarters and even if they and we get there I'd fancy us to beat them. Beyond that, unless a surprise team gets to the semis I can't see us getting past the semi's.

Guest palnese

GP - Should win group

I don't think France will reach the KO stages. I just can't see it with Domenech in charge. He's probably the worst manager of the lot.

GP - Should win group

Agree, Serbia would be tough but I'd much rather play them then a South American team, we should beat them. I honestly think France will be out by the quarters and even if they and we get there I'd fancy us to beat them. Beyond that, unless a surprise team gets to the semis I can't see us getting past the semi's.

Definitely all boils down to England winning the group.

If they come 2nd its likely to be Germany in rd 2 and one from Argentina and the Grp A brigade.

GP - Should win group

I don't think France will reach the KO stages. I just can't see it with Domenech in charge. He's probably the worst manager of the lot.

I don't disagree with that but sometimes no matter how bad your manager natural talent will still win through. Plus Grp A has 3 teams that are pretty weak defensively in there so they should be able to without playing well get enough points to go through. Plus the others are likely to all take points off each other.

Guest palnese

GP - Should win group

I don't disagree with that but sometimes no matter how bad your manager natural talent will still win through. Plus Grp A has 3 teams that are pretty weak defensively in there so they should be able to without playing well get enough points to go through. Plus the others are likely to all take points off each other.

They are clearly favourites based on reputation and the names they have got in their squad, but I think they will struggle against Uruguay and even Mexico, and you never know how South-Africa will react to the advantage of playing at home. They might do a South Korea and play well over their capacity. For me that group is wide open because of the 3 dark horses.

Why has the media gone mental over Rooney "keeping his cool" in the world cup just because some no mark ref said he swore at him. He's been much better the last couple of years.

Because the media are generally idiots and look for any story they can sensationalise. It's fucking annoying.

I heard non football fans at work today betting on how many games it would be before Rooney gets sent off. They settled on "not even one". Mongs.

Guest Roger Kint

Tim Cahill might be out as well, neck problem

Oh good lord.

Be justice for that piss poor tackle against NZogbia

FYP

Guest Geordiesned

The England players have been on a safari today. Just heard a clip of Joe Cole on the radio. "We didn't see any big cats. No tigers or leopards. We were hoping we'd see a bit of a tear up." :lol:

The England players have been on a safari today. Just heard a clip of Joe Cole on the radio. "We didn't see any big cats. No tigers or leopards. We were hoping we'd see a bit of a tear up." :lol:

They went yesterday but aye.

How confident are people that England will beat USA? I think it'll be a tough game and we'll just about labour to a 1 1 draw.

Extremely confident.

Their defence is f***ing shocking. The embarrassment of failing to beat a country that isn't even aware the World Cup is on would be too much  :undecided:

The US has bought more World Cup tickets than any other country.