Club statement

Magpie

Why didn't Ashley simply say that we'll not be taken mugs anymore, that sensible investment will be made on the playing side and that the club's long term security was paramount?

What the club has produced reads like a wind up, a fuck you all with a suggestion that he is looking to get his money back without any real concern where the club is when he eventually leaves. If he trousers the sky money and we get relegated he will still get 100M or so. If he trousers the sky money and we stay up, bingo he looks like a genius, he can command a greater price and perhaps we'll buy some players - everyones happy. Either way, first and foremost, he is looking to get his money back.

Depressing state which wasn't really needed. They have no idea when to speak and when to just shut the fuck up. We NEED to spend a bit of cash this summer. I can understand being careful, but I can't believe he hasn't seemed to have learned from the last relegation season.

Another thing, how the fuck is Llambais still in a job? I can't think of anything he has done or which has been good. He constantly puts his foot in it. Surely Ashley can find someone better for the job.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Good positive statement.

Let the manager and players deal with getting results on the pitch, invest in the academy, and see the club stabilised and ready to move forward within a reasonable time frame.

:thup:

Thats what I took from it, not sure where all the doom and gloom is coming from. OK, so no more £10m+ transfers, but was anyone really expecting that? We'll spend what we make by selling (we're a selling club) - did anyone expect anything any different? A weaker Chairman (Freddy Shepard) would have buckled reading this forum and instantly signed 'Distraction Signing #1# for £17m.

Ashley's a mong for what he has done, but you can't complain about him saying 'I'm going to let the manager manage, and I'll sit in the back and try and keep things ticking over financially. Just so you know, and don't expect anything any different, there won't be much money, if any, to spend. HAVE FUN GEORDIE NATION!'

Sad thing is this is probably the first CH knows about it as well.

Talking about promoting within, it dosnt sound like they have much faith in CH if they havnt extended his deal. Who s going to be the next manager Peter beardsley?

I took that to mean possibly two things:

1. If Chris Hughton leaves/is sacked a replacement won't be found and paid for, but rather someone already on the Coaching staff will become the Caretaker/New Manager (ala Hughton).

2. New players will be promoted from the academy into the 1st team setup, rather then future investment in 'established' stars.

Both are half sensible, and the 2nd one would fall in line with what was later said in the Statement, and Ashley's desire for us to 'follow Arsenal'.

--

Just find it odd that nearly everyone has been screaming out for communication, and as soon as there is some there's depression and negative outrage because it wasn't the bells and whistle happyland announcement everyone was dreaming of.

'the academy is brimming with talent'.  We've just let Wesley Ngo Baheng, Frank Wiafe Danquah, Jonny Godsmark, Darren Lough and Callum Morris all go, some of whom were reserve regulars and looked soon to be getting on the first team bench.  Can someone that regularly watches the youth teams (know theres a few on here) enlighten me of any that we could bleed into the first team soon?  That statement makes out we're overfilled with 'young talent' but past evidence and what we've seen this season, despite being in a league below where it might have been easier to fit them in, seems to suggest otherwise.

The most optimistic of us who watch the Youth/Reserves every week would probably say those players were League 1/Championship at the peak of their potential in an ideal world. Its no lost to the squad to see them released, and only fair to the players they've been allowed to seek first team football else where, and leave space for the lads coming out of the academy to develop in the reserves.

As for those in the Academy I'd expect to see on the bench at some point

Brad Inman (CM/AM)

Haris Vuckic (CM/AM/FW)

Shane Ferguson (LW)

James Tavenier (RB) (aka Danny Simpson v2)

Paul Dummett (LB)

Though Paul Dummett will be down to lack of cover more then anything else. If Phil Airey continues his development he'll probably get a look in during Cup Games.

Depressing state which wasn't really needed. They have no idea when to speak and when to just shut the fuck up. We NEED to spend a bit of cash this summer. I can understand being careful, but I can't believe he hasn't seemed to have learned from the last relegation season.

Another thing, how the fuck is Llambais still in a job? I can't think of anything he has done or which has been good. He constantly puts his foot in it. Surely Ashley can find someone better for the job.

:facepalm:

Please explain how money spent is a barometer of success - specifically taking into account the fortunes of Leeds (2003 - onwards), NUFC (2005 - 2008) and Liverpool (2009/10).

Depressing state which wasn't really needed. They have no idea when to speak and when to just shut the f*** up. We NEED to spend a bit of cash this summer. I can understand being careful, but I can't believe he hasn't seemed to have learned from the last relegation season.

Another thing, how the f*** is Llambais still in a job? I can't think of anything he has done or which has been good. He constantly puts his foot in it. Surely Ashley can find someone better for the job.

Ashley is his friend though isn't he? It would take a lot to see him fired, he'd have to get us relegated in only one season or something! Oh, hang on...

Depressing state which wasn't really needed. They have no idea when to speak and when to just shut the f*** up. We NEED to spend a bit of cash this summer. I can understand being careful, but I can't believe he hasn't seemed to have learned from the last relegation season.

Another thing, how the f*** is Llambais still in a job? I can't think of anything he has done or which has been good. He constantly puts his foot in it. Surely Ashley can find someone better for the job.

:facepalm:

Please explain how money spent is a barometer of success - specifically taking into account the fortunes of Leeds (2003 - onwards) and Liverpool (2009/10).

Nobody has said money spent is a measure of success. I think you have highlighted his sentence and then misquoted him.

Spending nothing and padding the squad with academy players is a monumental financial risk which would probably see this club get relegated again. He's right, we NEED to bring in reinforcements. We have workrate but we need a couple of players of a higher standard - there's no hiding from it we are not playing teams like Scunthorpe any more.

Guest Wally_McFool

A classic bit of "party pooping" by Laurel  and Hardy if I've ever seen it.

Cunts.

Stu, At no point did I say that money means success, however spending none, when we went down last time without a midfield is a joke. If anything we need more numbers in which will mean spending a little bit. I didn't expect tens of millions to be spent, but we could at least do with getting some back up in. We're also desperate for a goalscorer and a central midfielder both better than what we have. We won't get those by spending nothing.

Guest Antec

Sounds like the fat liar is going to try to claw back as much of his loans as possible as soon as he can, gambling with survival at the same time. There'll be hell on when we're losing week in week out

Basically reads like we're moaning about going up because we've now got pesky things like expectations, mote media attention and a need to get the squad up to a higher level. But don't worry, we've got no intention of staying in this league anyway, hopefully all the problems of the premier league will only ne fleeting.

Guest Antec

From the Journal

When The Journal attempted to clarify what “no capital outlay” means the curt response was that it meant “no capital outlay.” When The Journal asked again, through the club’s media spokesman, whether this meant there was no money to spend at all, the answer was “there will be no capital outlay on new players.”

From the Journal

When The Journal attempted to clarify what “no capital outlay” means the curt response was that it meant “no capital outlay.” When The Journal asked again, through the club’s media spokesman, whether this meant there was no money to spend at all, the answer was “there will be no capital outlay on new players.”

:doh:

Stupid tossers.

Guest geordienorway

The Journal reckon Hughton was shocked by the statement. Utter disgrace if true, as well as gambling on the current squad to survive in the premiership.

Guest Howaythetoon

These cunts have no business running a football club, the sooner they leave the better for NUFC.

I think it's a very smart statement. Try Reading it from an agent's point of view rather than a fan's - it effectively tells you to p*ss off if you try to rip the club off.  Call me naive but I think it's very smart. 

As an agent of a player who might come here on free or small fee from sales money it tells me these guys have no ambition, won't pay decent wages and won't be a good move for my client. To the agents of our players it says now is a good time to jump ship and as the club are desperate for money and need to make up the numbers, any half decent player they have can probably be snapped up at a knock down price, especially now team morale has just been kicked on the crotch and said players are unlikely to be looking forward to the relegation slog we've just announced.

I guess 'capital outlay' in business terms means no new investment in the club from the owner.

Money the club can generate itself can be used... obviously this means a very small budget.

The statement is mental like, reads like a 15 year old wrote it (no offence to any) and just comes across like a dig at the press and a clumsy attempt to lower expectations. Whoever is in charge of PR at NUFC is either a cretin or is being overuled by Llambias and Ashley.

All the Geordie nation stuff is absolute bollocks, and only makes us look like even bigger idiots in the eyes of the rest of the country. People will start to think we actually believe that shite.

I think it's a very smart statement. Try Reading it from an agent's point of view rather than a fan's - it effectively tells you to p*ss off if you try to rip the club off.  Call me naive but I think it's very smart. 

As an agent of a player who might come here on free or small fee from fakes money it tells me these guys have no ambition, won't pay decent wages and won't be a good move for my client. To the agents of our players it says now is a good time to jump ship and as the club are desperate for money and need to make up the numbers, any half decent player they have can probably be snapped up at a knock down price, especially now tram morale has just been kicked on the crotch and said players are unlikely to be looking forward to the relegation slog we've just announced.

dunno like, plenty have went to pompey under similar circumstances just for the exposure.

if indeed the statement means there will be no cash for players then the atmosphere against hull will be nothing if we don't get off to a good start. i wonder what the price of the club would be now given another year of £30mill plus losses but higher revnue this season ?

From the Journal

:doh:

Stupid tossers.

Christ on a bike. :lol:

From the Journal

and they said they wouldn't talk to the press.

I just simply dont understand the logic behind any of this...yes the club has to be financially secure but in business you have to speculate to accumulate...even 30M of Ashleys supposed 1BN fortune would be enough for us to finish above Wolves,Wigan,Bolton,WBA and play off winners..its just a no brainer....we must be the only club in history with a supposed rich owner to not spend nothing..30M to him is like 30 quid out of a 1000 to any of us and ive never thought twice about putting 30-50 quid on a horse when ive had 1000 in my pocket

I thought he would have learned from his previous mistakes and thought that this season he had a chance to redeem his misgivings with the fans....this statement has just blown all that out of the water

Even if this ridiculously flawed logic held true, it could be done just as effectively in private.  There aren't that many agents out there.  Any that approached the club to offer a player could be told what's in the statement without pissing off the fans.

The target audience is clearly not the agents.

I just simply dont understand the logic behind any of this...yes the club has to be financially secure but in business you have to speculate to accumulate...even 30M of Ashleys supposed 1BN fortune would be enough for us to finish above Wolves,Wigan,Bolton,WBA and play off winners..its just a no brainer....we must be the only club in history with a supposed rich owner to not spend nothing..30M to him is like 30 quid out of a 1000 to any of us and ive never thought twice about putting 30-50 quid on a horse when ive had 1000 in my pocket

I thought he would have learned from his previous mistakes and thought that this season he had a chance to redeem his misgivings with the fans....this statement has just blown all that out of the water

Exactly, I totally agree with Ashley that the target should be to get the club into a healthy financial position, but that will never happen if we become a yo-yo club. He needs to just inject a bit of quality into the squad and we'll be fine.

We could stay up anyway obviously, but it's a big gamble. I suppose he prefers that gamble to the gamble of spending.

Might this explain why Ashley changed the loan plan so that it can be paid off from now. He could basically be using the extra cash we get to pay off the loan and his "plan" is for the club to break even and be debt free in 5 years ? Surly that's all the club can mean by the break even statement else we'll have broke even next season.