Club statement

Magpie

See and there is the problem with this statement. People initially paniced we will having nothing to spend due to the lack of clairty in the statement, once you read it properly you can see this ins't the case. The statement later goes onto to slate the media. However by making the it as ambiguous as they have they've given them the ammunition they need to create a shitstorm where there isn't one.

Common sense starting to hit the thread after the initial 'ZOMFG WE'LL HAVING NOTHING TO SPEND' outbreak.

The common sense you mention reads more like clutching at straws.

See and there is the problem with this statement. People initially paniced we will having nothing to spend due to the lack of clairty in the statement, once you read it properly you can see this ins't the case. The statement later goes onto to slate the media. However by making the it as ambiguous as they have they've given them the ammunition they need to create a shitstorm where there isn't one.

There is.

We've got Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne running the club.

Common sense starting to hit the thread after the initial 'ZOMFG WE'LL HAVING NOTHING TO SPEND' outbreak.

Where does the statement categorically rule out the purchase of any new plaers what so ever? If anything there are more indications suggesting we will buy players than we won't. Anyway, time will tell.

At least they're being honest.

I'd rather they tell us the truth now, than have us sitting up till after midnight waiting for the transfer window to slam shut.

I wasn't overusing the F5 button in the last couple of windows to be honest.

Where does the statement categorically rule out the purchase of any new plaers what so ever? If anything there are more indications suggesting we will buy players than we won't. Anyway, time will tell.

Irrespective of whether we're buying anyone or not.  Do you think it's a well written statement that benefits the club overall?

Does it bring clarity?

Does it put an end to negative press?

Does it improve relations with the fans?

Irrespective of whether we're buying anyone or not.  Do you think it's a well written statement that benefits the club overall?

Does it bring clarity?

Does it bring clarity?

A 'no' on all counts then.

Does it bring clarity?

Oh I agree it's a very poorly written statement. I just don't think there are grounds for panic yet.

Does it bring clarity?

Oh I agree it's a very poorly written statement. I just don't think there are grounds for panic yet.

I was panicking before the statement.

I've been holding my tongue on here for a few months since the consensus seemed to be "at least they're getting it right now, let's give them a chance".

The statement only re-confirms what we all knew though, they're incompetent boobs.

Does it bring clarity?

what else do we have to do with our time though? may as well panic

Guest johnson293

There is no plan for new capital outlay on players.

If we're going by the definition of "capital outlay" as described here - http://www.allbusiness.com/glossaries/capital-outlay/4957812-1.html, that means we aren't purchasing any new assets (i.e. players) at all, doesn't it?

Its very pedantic yes, but thats exactly how "The Board" comes across.

Another definition here...

http://financial-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Capital+Outlay

"Payments made in cash or cash equivalents over a period of more than one year. Capital outlays are used to acquire assets or improve the useful life of existing assets. An example of a capital outlay is the funding to construct a factory. In accounting, capital outlays must be capitalized; that is, the outlay is recognized on a balance sheet gradually over the course of asset's useful life. Capital outlays are recorded as liabilities on a balance sheet. They are also called capital expenditures."

Not sure if the bit in bold has any signifigance to what the statement perhaps meant?

Reading the whole statement again after a few hours calming down, it doesn't seem that bad.

Yes, it's badly written and says some stuff they should have kept quiet, but the key points about bringing through young players and not spending beyond our means are things a lot of people have been looking for.

Does it bring clarity?

I was panicking before the statement.

I've been holding my tongue on here for a few months since the consensus seemed to be "at least they're getting it right now, let's give them a chance".

The statement only re-confirms what we all knew though, they're incompetent boobs.

Incompetent boobs are still boobs. Not all boobs can be epic.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/0911/epic-boobs-epic-boobs-wall-demotivational-poster-1258585964.jpg

/epic boob threadjack anyone?

Reading the whole statement again after a few hours calming down, it doesn't seem that bad.

Yes, it's badly written and says some stuff they should have kept quiet, but the key points about bringing through young players and not spending beyond our means are things a lot of people have been looking for.

Have we had loads of kids that were good enough that we've let go like?

Of course we'd all prefer academy kids to make the grade, Like every club would.  We're all over the moon with Taylor, Carroll and Ameobi.  That's the sum total of what's come out of the academy in a decade though.  Not enough to keep us in the top flight.

If that is the long term strategy...then its fine by me. If we want to challenge for the title on regular basis and not every 7th year then i think you need a healthy club and this is the only way forward....unless you do it the Man City way....which i dont find attractive at all.

this club have been sick for many years and there is not the same finances available anymore.

Im also quiet sure ashley will spend some money (not many) on transfers if nessesary.

we should still try and get rid of some players before we start bringing in (expensive) new.

hopefully we will see some youngsters from own ranks in the coming years....i always heard so many good things about our academy...but not often we see any break through or given the chance...we prefer our own players in the starting 11. Its also a way of making money....so go get that talent-fabric up and running!

If that is the long term strategy...then its fine by me. If we want to challenge for the title on regular basis and not every 7th year then i think you need a healthy club and this is the only way forward....unless you do it the Man City way....which i dont find attractive at all.

this club have been sick for many years and there is not the same finances available anymore.

Im also quiet sure ashley will spend some money (not many) on transfers if nessesary.

we should still try and get rid of some players before we start bringing in (expensive) new.

hopefully we will see some youngsters from own ranks in the coming years....i always heard so many good things about our academy...but not often we see any break through or given the chance...we prefer our own players in the starting 11. Its also a way of making money....so go get that talent-fabric up and running!

I find that approach sexy as fuk right now.

Trying to get to grips with this bizarre statement, at first it seems to be a clumsy attempt at lowering expectations ahead of the new season.

For a club who previously admitted their failings in communicating with supporters, to preface line after line of the statement with the phrase "there will be no comment on...." is eyebrow-raising on its own.

But to then proceed to list a whole raft of things that they have never yet spoken about then places this into the realms of the truly odd.

Why stop at vowing not to comment on player sales, purchase, contracts, wages, speculation or agents? Why not undertake to reserve from making public utterances about players hairstyles, sexual partners or other personal habits?

We note the omission of a "no comment" clause on criminal proceedings involving players - although that would have been more relevant than many included.

If there was a need to issue some sort of media guidance following previous issues with the press (and bear in mind a number of local and national journalists were banned from SJP last season) then surely that should have been directed to that group, not the "Geordie Nation"?

Far from clarifying the club's position, the contents and wording are anything but clear, almost requiring a second statement of explanation - there are shades there of the "sportsdirect@" ground branding fiasco that required Derek Llambias to go on the radio to try to explain.   

Most attention has been paid to the sentence "There is no plan for new capital outlay on players" which we certainly didn't understand, not being in the know.

While that was universally interpreted in the media as being a loan/free transfer policy, NUFC.com readers have since confirmed to us that in fact it's something else:

One reader comments that "capital outlay is when cash is paid for an asset over a period of more than a year." 

That's basically buying players on the never never as was the case previously, resulting in the situation where the club were still paying off instalments on transfers when the player(s) in question had actually moved on.

Now that's not quite the same as no cash for transfers or having a sell players to fund purchases policy - and to muddy the waters still further, fees of £500K+ are still routinely paid on loan signings, so that's outlay in itself.

The references to the academy are also somewhat misleading, in that they seem to be promoting a "home boys" policy, in the week that the club have a Swedish 'keeper on trial - and another 'keeper and a winger of the same nationality on the books.

Looking at our FA Youth Cup semi-final side, seven of the players who appeared against Aston Villa weren't born in the region - we're not "brimming" with that much talent...

In reality, the impending UEFA legislation to determine squad compositions isn't primarily based on nationality - the vital statistic is to have spent at least three seasons at the same club between the ages of 16 and 21. So our Academy midfielder Shane Ferguson is now "home trained", having signed in 2007 regardless of the fact he's from Derry in Northern Ireland.

All of the other Premier League clubs have to comply with that stipulation and many face a similar level of financial worry to NUFC. However, none of those have yet made statements of this nature - why?

Is it because they have media staff in place with some experience and understanding of their roles? Similarly, do NUFC really believe that declaring this policy of refusing to comment on certain topics will alter the media's portrayal of the club?

Previous briefings to the press about a transfer policy of signing and developing youngsters to sell on haven't stopped NUFC being linked with a bewildering array of veteran players with no resale value (Copenhagen's 32 year-old 'keeper the latest).

Far from "sending a clear message to its magnificent supporters" Ashley & Co. seem to have succeeded only in providing fuel for cynics and alarming anyone who believes that the current side aren't good enough to survive in the top flight without sensible strengthening.

The clowns who pollute message boards and phone -ins with talk of mega signings and top six finishes certainly aren't representative of the real life, common sense Newcastle supporters we know.

To them, the financial realities of this club in particular and football in general are well enough known. They've grasped that the "spend spend spend" days are gone - and having seen only tiny tangible returns from Owen, Luque & Boumsong et al then that's a vote winner for us.

But if we're bottom of the league in January, who's to say that this latest blueprint won't be ripped up and another one hastily cobbled together? If you're looking for a precedent then there are plenty, such as the arrivals and departures of messrs Keegan, Wise, Kinnear and Shearer.

The sadness of this is that while tough rhetoric may be the norm for other parts of Ashley's business, in this case he's dealing with emotional shareholders of this "great club."

Buying a season ticket is a world away from picking up cheap trainers or badminton rackets - there's no brand loyalty involved in the latter transaction and no long-term financial commitment (sign up now to buy your next three pairs of Nikes at a fixed price now!).

Finally, dragging the names of Steve Bruce and Michael Carrick into the same argument for keeping talent in the region as Peter Beardsley smacks of a desperation akin to "name three famous Belgians". They all chose to leave their native north east at a young age for different, ultimately personal reasons - Gazza didn't, neither did Chris Waddle, Steve Harper, Steve Watson, Shola Ameobi, Steven Taylor etc.etc.

To then speak about Alan Shearer is also bit rich, given the silent treatment meted out to him since May 2009 by the club.

In conclusion, we don't believe anyone actually disagrees with a policy of stability and organisation - or even having a policy of any description at all. It's just that we've never been used to it - and certainly not delivered in such an obtuse format.

Once again, the medium has clouded the message.

Hands up clowns  :laugh: