Why Has Hughton Not Resigned?

Crumpy Gunt

Why would he resign when he clearly wants to test himself in the PL with this group of lads?

yup. mix of loyalty to this group of lads plus the fact that he's never had, nor will never again get, an opportunity like this.

KK would have walked out the minute that statement landed.

nah, he would make noises to the press about needing to invest, then battle all summer long to get what he wanted, only for the board to dig their heels in as well and publicly undermine him further at the end of the transfer window, causing a big bust up in which he would be told he was sacked.

Because he has built a team out of a group of individuals, and because moving on would be breaking something that doesn't need fixed. Not only that but this is his chance to prove himself in the Premier' and his best chance of survival and proving himself is with this team of individuals plus maybe two or three more.

Even if Hughton is a puppet he's the best man to manage us at this moment in time.

Why should Hughton walk out? He has a contract left till the end of next season and will surely get a new contract if he keeps us up. He also worked under much more difficult circumstances back in summer 2009.

The Journal says "they understand the news came as a shock to Hughton" so they have obviously been stringing him along like all their previous managers.

Feel sorry for him - they are setting him up to fail from the outset. 

From Houghton's previous comments, it's been very clear that he has expected to have to rely on the same group of players next season. He can't be completely happy with that, but it doesn't sound like this news will be a surprise.

I love Hughton for what he's done so far, but considering they've already had to pay off Allardyce and Keegan in their time in charge, there really is no reason to extend Hughton yet. Let's at the very least see what Hughton does over the summer and how he starts the season. Hughton is sensible enought o be fine with that too.

Why would he resign when he clearly wants to test himself in the PL with this group of lads?

yup. mix of loyalty to this group of lads plus the fact that he's never had, nor will never again get, an opportunity like this.

What a truely miserable thing to say.

I haven't seen a manager as driven as Hughton for a while now to be honest.  He wanted to get promoted, he wanted to win the league, he wanted to get 100pts and he did all this.  He didn't play weakened teams and didn't ease of the players (not much anyway).

Contrast this with Spurs giving up was they'd achieved CL football and I think it shows Hughton is in it to win tbh. 

I haven't seen a manager as driven as Hughton for a while now to be honest.  He wanted to get promoted, he wanted to win the league, he wanted to get 100pts and he did all this.  He didn't play weakened teams and didn't ease of the players (not much anyway).

Contrast this with Spurs giving up was they'd achieved CL football and I think it shows Hughton is in it to win tbh. 

Aye.

thank god we aren't Spurs  O0

You don't want to offer any evidence that Hughton is not a 'winner'...?

He's happy to do the job with his hands tied behind his back while being made to ride a pogo stick.

That's to his credit as far a we're concerned.

No manager that wants to make a fist of it would work under Ashley.

Guest toonlass

If he goes and Ashley sticks to his statement and promoting from within would that mean Colin Calderwood would be our new boss?  :yikes:

He's happy to do the job with his hands tied behind his back while being made to ride a pogo stick.

The same could be said of Benitez (and Ferguson to an extent), who has been hamstrung by his club.  I wouldn't say he wasn't a winner. 

The same could be said of Benitez (and Ferguson to an extent), who has been hamstrung by his club.  I wouldn't say he wasn't a winner. 

:lol: