The Spanish Newcastle

Exiled in Texas

Barcelona

Unbelievable that anyone would compare NUFC to this great club - they leave us standing when it comes to trophies, ability to sign top players and world-wide renown.

Maybe Athletic Bilbao are similar - very regional passionate support and win very little ; they also sell their best players...!

Bilbao are a very successful club, it's just that their adherence to their principles have prevented them from continuing this success in this day and age. They have won 8 leagues and 23 cups, fourth and second best in Spain respectively, and are one of only 3 clubs to have always been at the top flight.

Unfortunately, we ARE in 'this day & age'...Newcastle United have won the English League 4 times, the FA Cup 6 times and the Uefa Cup once. The difference is that it is not 'adherence to principles' which has stopped NUFC being successful in the modern age, it is more a case of not having any...!

MLS by his late twenties. :lol:

Was playing in Vietnam when i was over there last year. Only managed 45mins before he sacked it off though. Was big big news in Vietnam though.

who are the Vietnamese Newcastle?

Whos is the Italian Newcastle? Fiorentina?

I'd have said Parma.

I think VI is right about Napoli; it's got to be a club on the periphery far away from the capital, massive support, and a strong regional identity. So, Betis makes sense in Spain.

How about Napoli? Massive club with a huge support, but haven't won anything since the early 90's. Recently had terrible ownership and faced massive debts as well as being dissolved and being relegated to C1. Despite all of this, they maintained some of the highest attendance in Italy.

I think they've won the league recently but RC Lens always struck me as being similar to Newcastle. Passionate following (although every club claims that, NE industrial club, etc.)

I think they've won the league recently but RC Lens always struck me as being similar to Newcastle. Passionate following (although every club claims that, NE industrial club, etc.)

I'm sure Arsene Wenger compared us to them once.