David Ginola

LooneyToonArmy

Beardsley was getting on, we all knew that, but peripherally he was fine. Ginola wasn't in form, but was getting better, and then just plummeted when KD arrived. Even ignoring that, and going with your 'good business' point. It means nothing if it isnt invested in players who will improve the team. Funnily enough, any player wouldn't have been an improvement on Ginola the following season. But KD wasn't even close to having a better replacement, in every area except GK.

You arent seriously assuming Ginola would have been anything like the same player he was for Spurs 12 months AFTER we sold him when he won PFA Player had he stayed are you? Ginola the following season was NOT the same Ginola we had, or would have had, no amount of blindly glossing over the fact will change it.

Regardless of whatever many mistakes KD made, he was right to sell Ginola imo

Just not true.  Ginola was a great player and would have continued to do very well for us.  He should not have been sold.

Considering he had a poor final season your blind faith bears no logic

Considering he went to play well again and won the PFA Player Of The Year in 1999 shows your ignorance of what happened other than the 96/97 season bears no logic.

As it was a different team he did that with i can only assume you have no clue how the world turns :pow:

How does the world turn? Is it via the gravitational pull from the sun?

Pretty much yes, the universe expands by all accounts iirc

So if it is via gravitational pull, how come it turns the world rather than just pulling Earth towards it. I can understand how gravitational pull makes us orbit the sun, but how it would make the world turn doesn't quite seem to make sense.

I'm not being a clever dick here btw, I am genuinely intrigued.

IIRC the most accepted theory is that it's leftover momentum from the particles that were expelled from the Sun and formed the cellestial bodies of the Solar System

Hmm, I can kinda understand that.

Dalglish came in at a bad time. The money had dried up, the team needed some rebuilding and expectations were still high. The pressure got to both him and Gullit.

KD was also very unlucky in that Beardsley was our most important player, but lost his legs. Shearer was also injured at a crucial time, and in fact was never quite the same player after that injury.

IIRC the most accepted theory is that it's leftover momentum from the particles that were expelled from the Sun and formed the cellestial bodies of the Solar System

OK, so now we need to know why the planet Mercury doesn't rotate.

Pretty sure Mercury does rotate, just very slowly.

Pretty sure Mercury does rotate, just very slowly.

I bow to your superior astronomical acumen.

Guest Mantis

now off topic, take the astronomy to the trainspotting forum.  Dalglish was partly at fault, he killied entertaining football and achieved nowt, but who has?

Poor Dalglish, he only had £35 million to spend in a year and a half.  In that time his first full season record resembles that of Souness, taking us from 2nd to 13th.  :lol:

With the team that Keegan left behind we finished in 2nd then Dalglish binned Clark, Elliott, Ginola, Ferdinand, Beardsley, Asprilla and Beresford.  These were replaced with Given, Ketsbaia, Tomasson, Pearce, Pistone, Barnes, Rush, Paul Dalglish, Andersson, Griffin, Speed, Glass and Dabizas.  A few others came and a few others left during that time but these were the ones that had the most games while here.

Dalglish didn't have to completely rebuild the team yet that's what he did and he got what he deserved, the sack.  In the 12 months after finishing 2nd he virtually broke even on transfers, he made a profit of £400,000.  It's not as if he'd been conducting a fire sale and he went on to spend another £13 million before he was shown the door.

Beardsley was getting on, we all knew that, but peripherally he was fine. Ginola wasn't in form, but was getting better, and then just plummeted when KD arrived. Even ignoring that, and going with your 'good business' point. It means nothing if it isnt invested in players who will improve the team. Funnily enough, any player wouldn't have been an improvement on Ginola the following season. But KD wasn't even close to having a better replacement, in every area except GK.

You arent seriously assuming Ginola would have been anything like the same player he was for Spurs 12 months AFTER we sold him when he won PFA Player had he stayed are you? Ginola the following season was NOT the same Ginola we had, or would have had, no amount of blindly glossing over the fact will change it.

Just not true.  Ginola was a great player and would have continued to do very well for us.  He should not have been sold.

Considering he went to play well again and won the PFA Player Of The Year in 1999 shows your ignorance of what happened other than the 96/97 season bears no logic.

As it was a different team he did that with i can only assume you have no clue how the world turns :pow:

are you honestly suggesting that it was very unlikely or even impossible that Ginola wouldn't have played well again if he continued to stay with us?

Guest Geordiesned

Form is temporary, class is permanent, and Ginola had class in abundance. You don't sell your best players just because their form has dipped. If you are a good manager then you should be able to get the best out of them.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, and Ginola had class in abundance. You don't sell your best players just because their form has dipped. If you are a good manager then you should be able to get the best out of them.

Don't be silly.

:fishing:

I very much agree.

Guest Roger Kint

are you honestly suggesting that it was very unlikely or even impossible that Ginola wouldn't have played well again if he continued to stay with us?

Yes, his heart wasnt in it well before KD arrived.

You know, considering that Ginola got absolute dogs abuse everytime he returned with Spurs and Villa; its amazing that he still loves the club and his great things to say about the city and the people.

Top bloke!  :thup:

Guest Roger Kint

You know, considering that Ginola got absolute dogs abuse everytime he returned with Spurs and Villa; its amazing that he still loves the club and his great things to say about the city and the people.

Top bloke!  :thup:

Dam right, i heard he once tried to play well for us too that second season...................................what a guy :fishing:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/simon-bird/Why-David-Ginola-is-adding-some-Gallic-flair-to-England-s-2018-World-Cup-bid-Simon-Bird-column-article443361.html

David Ginola adds some Gallic flair to England's 2018 World Cup bid

David Ginola put on his best Geordie accent and hammed up a vaguely plausible: "Whey aye man, aah love this place. Allreet?"

The ex-winger, veteran of Kevin Keegan's Entertainers, part-time shampoo and Renault car salesman, and one of the pioneers who made the Premier League a worldwide draw, was in top form.

In the chair usually reserved for managers' press conferences at St James' Park, Ginola reminisced. "I was down the Quayside before and I thought:' Oh no, where is the boat, the Tuxedo Princess?! (formerly a floating nightclub on the Gateshead side of the Tyne). I loved that place too for a few drinks! And the revolving dance floor. Whoah!'

"Where has it gone? And Julies nightclub, that has gone. Had some good nights there! I used to go to that massive shopping centre, the MetroCentre with my family, and I am glad that is still here.

"We trained at Durham University sports ground back then, not the magnificent training ground they have now. We shared dressing rooms with students who were off to play tennis! But we thought of each other, rather than me, myself and I."

Newcastle has changed since Ginola first arrived, sold a move from France by the persuasive Keegan.

The Quayside was being redeveloped. The magnificent Sage music centre, the Millennium "blinking eye" Bridge, The Baltic art gallery, new hotels, restaurants and clubs have sprung up to make it a "world class city".

That's before you get to St James' Park, the ground Sir Bobby Robson christened the "Cathedral of football that looks over the city."

It has changed much for the better, and Ginola is fighting for the city again. He is an ambassador for England's 2018 World Cup bid, and specifically fighting the cause of Newcastle/Gateshead to be a host city.

It has become a passion for him. A better ambassador we couldn't have. Ginola has charm, humour, experience and has travelled the world with the 2018 bid team to sell our dream.

"I have a story of when I first arrived here. I thought: 'I did seven years learning English at school, I will be brilliant!' Then first day, someone says: 'Whey, aye Ginola'. I thought, where am I? I mean they speak English here, but it is not English! It is why I love the place, the culture."

Back in Newcastle at the weekend, Ginola had words of advice for his former club. Forget signing big names. Give Chris Hughton a chance to build his side. Find some Geordie youngsters to capture the imagination.

He wants the Toon to bring in players because they know United as "a great club, with history and with a special passion. Say to them if you like it, sign, if not, off you go."

He adds: "Chris Hughton could do great things. He needs two to three years. Don't rush it. The future is being patient. Get the youngsters in the first team, forget focusing on signing players from around Europe, all the stars and splashing out millions. I'd rather get Geordie youths through, added to two or three others, and go from there."

Ginola, who would be a charismatic, knowledgeable manager, wants to win his own battle for Tyneside with the World Cup bid. He says: "Imagine in June watching it in South Africa and thinking this could be England in eight years. The country would be crazy for it! We need to communicate that passion now. Let's fight for it now. Everyone. Every fan, let's tell the world how much we want it.

"Newcastle/Gateshead will host games. There is passion, devotion here. Football means a lot. I saw it and felt it. Win a game on Saturday, and the week is better for people. Lose, and people feel bad on Monday. You are not playing for yourself here. You play for the public, and you have to give them some joy. They may earn 200-300 quid a week, not thousands, so you have to give them something.

"I am French, so why am I ambassador? I played seven years here. Newcastle, London, Midlands all over. I know the country, the accents, the roots. It is easier for me to talk about the good things in England than for an English person. If an English person says such things, they could turn to them and say: 'Well you are being arrogant saying your football is fantastic'.

"When I say it, they can't say that. It is good to have people from around the world saying England and English people are very good."

"It would be amazing for people from around the world to see the Geordies and their passion and welcome. I think that would be a shock for them."

Despite the Lord Triesman resignation, Ginola has a message. "The English bid is fine. We have travelled to lots of countries. They all know that the English bid is fantastic and that England deserves to get this World Cup after being without one for 52 years. They know that as a fact. That does not change with one person.

"The bid is an entire country. The overall package is a fantastic one. Look at our cities, great places to play, everyone knows about English football. Everywhere we have been we have not had to say much about English football.

"It has been little bits and pieces they want to know about. Transportation. Visas. They say you will get millions to England for 2018, are you going to manage to do the visas? You have difficulties with them at the moment never mind millions knocking on the door. So we explain."

So how will England do in South Africa? "England are a solid team. They have the individuals, can score any time, if they play together as a team... who knows, they would probably go far. Don't ask me who will win it though. That is a silly question!"

Guest sweetdisposition

Ginola, whose been very prominent in it, and that, was very prominent indeed.

• 2 years later...

Ginola Interviewed On Newcastle United’s French Invasion

by Mark Jensen

Newcastle United are getting unbelievable exposure predictably in France at the moment and no surprise to see them turn to David Ginola to get his opinion on Newcastle’s French shopping trips.

Our ex-winger has been interviewed by RMCSport and waxed lyrical about Newcastle United and the fans. Thanks as always for the invaluable translation services of Pierre

Ginola : “Newcastle, a change of life”

Pioneer in the exodus to Britain, David Ginola who played at Newcastle from 1995 to 1997 and where his popularity has remained intact. The former striker gives us an amusing look into the influx of French players to the Magpies.

David, how do you rate this exodus of French players to Newcastle?

I find it is great. I would not go as far as saying that I was a pioneer. If all these players are in Newcastle, they owe it to their talent and because they have the qualities to bring to the club. I was one of the first to arrive in England and it is very nice to see some kind of French team put together. They are very good reinforcements and not just a fad. They will make the team stronger.

What draws them to the point of finding 11 French players in the squad?

The English league! It has been for many years that the French players dream to move to the Premier League, which is the benchmark in the world today. Why so many in Newcastle? I do not know.

Is settling between France and England easy?

It’s not as straightforward as you would think, firstly because of the language barrier. Basically there is a change of culture and life. It is important to forget about it and concentrate on work. As a footballer, one should only think about their performance first thing in the morning. In England, football is not just the green rectangle. It is also in the stands and in everyday life. Football is king and the players adored. There is no equivalent.

You have gone down in the history of Newcastle, to the point of having a song in your name. Which French player is most likely to follow your trail?

Only the future will tell. To be part of the club’s legend is not easy because the English are expectant. They pay attention to specific things. They see if the player is able to take on the daily responsibilities for the love of wearing the back and white striped shirt. The people of the North East called ‘Geordies’ are a country within their country. They love their region, their city and their club. It is up to each player to give the maximum to enter the circle of players who have marked their history and to have their song.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/ginola-interviewed-on-newcastle-uniteds-french-invasion/

Wor Daveed likes to re-write history a bit.

I'm sure he was quite critical of the city when he left.

erm well i cant see him praising the city in that article, probbaly still thinks its naff.  He probbaly does highly rate the football culture here tho. 2 seperate things isnt it?

From what I read (his autobiography I think...ages ago mind )he loved living in Newcastle which is why he settled in straight away. Pity he only stayed 2 seasons....fking Dalglish b******  :tickedoff: . Still one of my favourite Toon players despite his short spell here

erm well i cant see him praising the city in that article, probbaly still thinks its naff.  He probbaly does highly rate the football culture here tho. 2 seperate things isnt it?

That's a fair point. WHAT THE FUCK.

That's how I remember it, though I can't remember exactly what he was supposed to have said. I cheerfully hated him throughout the entire time he was at Tottenham. In recent years I've forgiven him a bit, though, because now he usually speaks positively about us.