Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm actually waiting for Mr. United Nations himself Kezman catching wind of this debate.

I don't know if that's a compliment or an insult. :lol:

Btw I'm only 3 nations! :aww:

As for representing another country, every situation is different. You have Ozil tonight for example, born in Germany to Turkish parents, and he represents Germany. Now by contrast you have Podolski and Klose who are Polish but raised in Germany from very young ages. Now some families that emigrate retain their culture, by only speaking their mother tongue at home for example. Now if you live in Germany but spend all your free time speaking Turkish or Polish then you may still feel a strong connection to that part of your heritage, so the idea of representing them is not entirely alien, when you consider that one of those parents may want you to represent their birth country, it's not quite as bad as is made out.

You then have people who move to a country later in life and become bonded to that country, like Liedson, Deco, or Pepe of Portugal, if you qualify as a citizen of a country you can't really stop them representing that country, as they may feel a connection towards it. The problem you have is being sure of the validity of their claim, the best examples of that are Guerrero of Poland and some of the middle eastern nations with Brazilians in their side, it's sad that players will cheapen themselves by clinging to any nationality just to experience a major tournament, but to claim that a player is incapable of gaining a bond with a nation outside of the one in which they were born is slightly naive.

Compliment, probably.  :lol:

I think you nailed it when you said every situation is different, which is what I said on an earlier page as to their being a large grey area for the most part. The differences in the situations means that trying to pin it down to certain rulings will be unfair on alot of people. For example ruling it on birthplace is plain wrong imo because for the likes of Klose, Podolski and even Terry Butcher for England (although that's slightly different due to few cultural/family ties to a place like Singapore) they will more than likely have no connection to the country they were born in. But then pinning it down to purely citizenship reasons opens up doors to all these Brazilians latching on to any team they can after merely living in the country a couple of years.

There's also alot of losers when it comes to people going with their heritage rather than their place of birth/home - it works both ways. For example the likes of Australia, USA and Switzerland have been repeatedly screwed over by players who live their lives in the countries who welcomed them (or their parents) with open arms, educated them, gave them job oppurtunities and allowed them to become the players they are through facilities and coaching - only for them players to then ditch that country at the last moment when the manager of their 'blood' nation rings them up asking if they want a game. The Serbs/Croats/.. are often the biggest culprits when it comes to this, which while you may think is down to strong allegiances to their 'bloodline' is more than likely purely so they can have a better chance of achieving. That's why players from Albania (Behrami) who have a poorer national team will often go for the better option in their host country and players from Serbia/Croatia (Kuzmanovic, Rakitic) who have better teams will choose their heritage. It's sad in this case when it comes down to furthering careers rather than making a real emotional decision.

It's definitely a very touchy subject though, and will only become moreso with the loosening of borders.

Good post.

The thing about the fluid borders and all the extended families of Polish/Czech and other European origin is that it really will get to the point that if they really researched it the Germans could be picking a team from the whole of Europe. That is really what I'm trying to get at....

You're really shit at getting your point across if that's what you've been trying to get at.

Podolski:

German striker Lukas Podolski won't be singing the national anthem on Wednesday before the much-awaited game against Poland.

"It's a very special situation and quite a strange feeling when the Polish national anthem and then the German one rings out," Podolski said this week.

It isn't as simple as you're trying to make out K.

So? He lived a few years in Poland, and his parents are Polish. It's out of respect, doesn't necessarily make him feel any less German. Do you know Podolski personally? Why do you just want to jump to the worst possible conclusion?

He didn't celebrate scoring against them either.

Personally I would want a player singing the national anthem of the team he is playing for.

I'm actually waiting for Mr. United Nations himself Kezman catching wind of this debate.

As for representing another country, every situation is different. You have Ozil tonight for example, born in Germany to Turkish parents, and he represents Germany. Now by contrast you have Podolski and Klose who are Polish but raised in Germany from very young ages. Now some families that emigrate retain their culture, by only speaking their mother tongue at home for example. Now if you live in Germany but spend all your free time speaking Turkish or Polish then you may still feel a strong connection to that part of your heritage, so the idea of representing them is not entirely alien, when you consider that one of those parents may want you to represent their birth country, it's not quite as bad as is made out.

You then have people who move to a country later in life and become bonded to that country, like Liedson, Deco, or Pepe of Portugal, if you qualify as a citizen of a country you can't really stop them representing that country, as they may feel a connection towards it. The problem you have is being sure of the validity of their claim, the best examples of that are Guerrero of Poland and some of the middle eastern nations with Brazilians in their side, it's sad that players will cheapen themselves by clinging to any nationality just to experience a major tournament, but to claim that a player is incapable of gaining a bond with a nation outside of the one in which they were born is slightly naive.

I think you nailed it when you said every situation is different, which is what I said on an earlier page as to their being a large grey area for the most part. The differences in the situations means that trying to pin it down to certain rulings will be unfair on alot of people. For example ruling it on birthplace is plain wrong imo because for the likes of Klose, Podolski and even Terry Butcher for England (although that's slightly different due to few cultural/family ties to a place like Singapore) they will more than likely have no connection to the country they were born in. But then pinning it down to purely citizenship reasons opens up doors to all these Brazilians latching on to any team they can after merely living in the country a couple of years.

There's also alot of losers when it comes to people going with their heritage rather than their place of birth/home - it works both ways. For example the likes of Australia, USA and Switzerland have been repeatedly screwed over by players who live their lives in the countries who welcomed them (or their parents) with open arms, educated them, gave them job oppurtunities and allowed them to become the players they are through facilities and coaching - only for them players to then ditch that country at the last moment when the manager of their 'blood' nation rings them up asking if they want a game. The Serbs/Croats/.. are often the biggest culprits when it comes to this, which while you may think is down to strong allegiances to their 'bloodline' is more than likely purely so they can have a better chance of achieving. That's why players from Albania (Behrami) who have a poorer national team will often go for the better option in their host country and players from Serbia/Croatia (Kuzmanovic, Rakitic) who have better teams will choose their heritage. It's sad in this case when it comes down to furthering careers rather than making a real emotional decision.

It's definitely a very touchy subject though, and will only become moreso with the loosening of borders.

Good post.

The thing about the fluid borders and all the extended families of Polish/Czech and other European origin is that it really will get to the point that if they really researched it the Germans could be picking a team from the whole of Europe. That is really what I'm trying to get at....

You're really shit at getting your point across if that's what you've been trying to get at.

Podolski:

German striker Lukas Podolski won't be singing the national anthem on Wednesday before the much-awaited game against Poland.

"It's a very special situation and quite a strange feeling when the Polish national anthem and then the German one rings out," Podolski said this week.

So? He lived a few years in Poland, and his parents are Polish. It's out of respect, doesn't necessarily make him feel any less German. Do you know Podolski personally? Why do you just want to jump to the worst possible conclusion?

Personally I would want a player singing the national anthem of the team he is playing for.

That rules out pretty much all of the England squad, tbh.

You'll have to forgive me for wading into a geopolitical debate and an argument over pretty girls, but I'm hurting and need to have a rant. Sorry in advance...

Open letter to Pim Verbeek

Pim Verbeek, you're a fucking coward and a disgrace. 4-6-0 is not a good formation under any circumstances. Your team sheet may as well have been a white flag, and we Aussies don't like cowards.

I mean, I can sort of understand starting Valeri, but Culina is a deep lying playmaker, not a left winger. Watch the replay of the first goal - Culina is one of our best players, but he simply didn't know where to be...

Craig Moore and Scotty Chipperfield are way past it. Good servants both, but when they can only run at half pace, and only for an hour, then it's time to chop them. You have Carney and Beauchamp. Use them. Oh, and could you ask Lucas Neill to work a bit harder when tracking back with the opposing striker. Thanks dearie.

Richard Garcia, Mile Jedinak and Brett Holman are not international quality players. Bresciano, Kewell and Kennedy are.

Your starting line-up made Allardyce look like Wenger, and your substitutes made Souness look like Mourinho.

Appeal the red card by all means, but if the appeal is rejected then cop it on the chin. It was harsh, but not unfair. Don't bleat about it. Take it like a man, and you might regain some lost respect.

Don't tinker with Wilkshire-Emerton on the right. It was one of the few things you got correct. Similarly, Nikky R is a good impact sub - if he has some support. You know, like Bresciano, Kennedy or Kewell.

Learn the national anthem. It's called "ADVANCE Australia Fair", not "Hide while the Germans attack us"

You've got two games now Pim. Pick a team that will beat Ghana, and then pick one that will beat Serbia. It really shouldn't be too hard. Watch the DVD of their game earlier. There are flaws that you can exploit with the tools you have.

Oh, and I've asked a mate in SA to punch you in the face if he sees you. So if a random Aussie smacks you silly, don't blame him, blame me. If you want to discuss this, my phone number +61 421 994 ...

You'll have to forgive me for wading into a geopolitical debate and an argument over pretty girls, but I'm hurting and need to have a rant. Sorry in advance...

Pim Verbeek, you're a fucking coward and a disgrace. 4-6-0 is not a good formation under any circumstances. Your team sheet may as well have been a white flag, and we Aussies don't like cowards.

I mean, I can sort of understand starting Valeri, but Culina is a deep lying playmaker, not a left winger. Watch the replay of the first goal - Culina is one of our best players, but he simply didn't know where to be...

Craig Moore and Scotty Chipperfield are way past it. Good servants both, but when they can only run at half pace, and only for an hour, then it's time to chop them. You have Carney and Beauchamp. Use them. Oh, and could you ask Lucas Neill to work a bit harder when tracking back with the opposing striker. Thanks dearie.

Richard Garcia, Mile Jedinak and Brett Holman are not international quality players. Bresciano, Kewell and Kennedy are.

Your starting line-up made Allardyce look like Wenger, and your substitutes made Souness look like Mourinho.

Appeal the red card by all means, but if the appeal is rejected then cop it on the chin. It was harsh, but not unfair. Don't bleat about it. Take it like a man, and you might regain some lost respect.

Don't tinker with Wilkshire-Emerton on the right. It was one of the few things you got correct. Similarly, Nikky R is a good impact sub - if he has some support. You know, like Bresciano, Kennedy or Kewell.

Learn the national anthem. It's called "ADVANCE Australia Fair", not "Hide while the Germans attack us"

You've got two games now Pim. Pick a team that will beat Ghana, and then pick one that will beat Serbia. It really shouldn't be too hard. Watch the DVD of their game earlier. There are flaws that you can exploit with the tools you have.

Oh, and I've asked a mate in SA to punch you in the face if he sees you. So if a random Aussie smacks you silly, don't blame him, blame me. If you want to discuss this, my phone number +61 421 994 ...

For what? Discussing the world cup in the world cup thread? It's us who's been discussing this other shit and clouding a great thread that needs to apologize tbh.

Pim Verbeek, you're a f***ing coward and a disgrace. 4-6-0 is not a good formation under any circumstances. Your team sheet may as well have been a white flag, and we Aussies don't like cowards.

No need to apologise, World Cup talk is good.

I don't know much about your team tbh but from the outset you could see a hammering was on the cards. It seems Verbeek is the opposite in managerial ability and tactical attitude to Guus Hiddink.

Good post.

Podolski:

That rules out pretty much all of the England squad, tbh.

Willing to then. ha ha

Agreed.

Pim Verbeek, you're a f***ing coward and a disgrace. 4-6-0 is not a good formation under any circumstances. Your team sheet may as well have been a white flag, and we Aussies don't like cowards.

I don't know much about your team tbh but from the outset you could see a hammering was on the cards. It seems Verbeek is the opposite in managerial ability and tactical attitude to Guus Hiddink.

Yeah, while it was obvious before the match that this looked like it would be a hammering, it also seems fairly clear that with a better manager even this version of Australia could be doing better.

Change of topic...

Miroslav Klose is now just four goals away from becoming the World Cup's all time top scorer.

Just imagine, a decade in the future somebody is going to be answering a trivia question: "The World Cup's all-time top scorer... Ronaldo and.... Miroslav Klose?  ???"

Yeah, while it was obvious before the match that this looked like it would be a hammering, it also seems fairly clear that with a better manager even this version of Australia could be doing better.

Verbeek isn't a bad manager per se... He's just overly cautious to a fault. Was terrible at putting away the weaker teams during his time with us because he never, ever takes risks going forward. Even if we're playing against Hong Kong or Vietnam.

World Cup stewards in Durban clash with police over pay

South African riot police in Durban have fired tear gas to disperse hundreds of security stewards protesting over alleged pay cuts.

The clash took place in a carpark at the city's Moses Mabhida stadium shortly after it hosted a match between Australia and Germany.

The stewards said they were being paid only 190 rand (£17; $25) a day, although they had been promised more.

Reports say one woman was injured and at least two people were arrested.

It was not immediately clear how much the stewards were supposed to have been paid according to their contracts.

So far there, have been no public comments on the incident from South Africa's World Cup organising committee or Fifa.

Police clashing with stewards, that's a new one :lol:

World Cup stewards in Durban clash with police over pay

South African riot police in Durban have fired tear gas to disperse hundreds of security stewards protesting over alleged pay cuts.

The clash took place in a carpark at the city's Moses Mabhida stadium shortly after it hosted a match between Australia and Germany.

The stewards said they were being paid only 190 rand (£17; $25) a day, although they had been promised more.

Reports say one woman was injured and at least two people were arrested.

It was not immediately clear how much the stewards were supposed to have been paid according to their contracts.

So far there, have been no public comments on the incident from South Africa's World Cup organising committee or Fifa.

Police clashing with stewards, that's a new one :lol:

Probably mistake eachother for hooligans since they're not blowing any vuvuzelas.

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but John Cross at the Mirror reckons Ledley King is out of the WC.

Out for 2/3 weeks with a groin injury he picked up in the first minute against the USA.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but John Cross at the Mirror reckons Ledley King is out of the WC.

Out for 2/3 weeks with a groin injury he picked up in the first minute against the USA.

Like confirming the sky is blue, really. We all knew this was going to happen, well perhaps not the groin part, but him not training has knock on affects.

Bad outcome for the Aussies, a clear penalty and a red card which was very debatable.

2-1 and Cahill on the field COULD have been interesting, not that there was signs that they could have won but theres always a big IF for me.

That ref was well shit.

Yeah, thought the same during the game. Australia were coming back into this. But without Cahill there was simply no chance anymore.

Bad outcome for the Aussies, a clear penalty and a red card which was very debatable.

2-1 and Cahill on the field COULD have been interesting, not that there was signs that they could have won but theres always a big IF for me.

That ref was well shit.

The only positive for the ref was the two yellow cards he dished out for clear dives...

Sorry, but that really wasn't a pen. Ball to hand - good call. Its more like the only negative was the red card - but it was a big negative to be fair.

NFI why Verbeek thought playing Craig Moore on a high line against the Jormans was a good idea :lol:

Sorry, but that really wasn't a pen. Ball to hand - good call. Its more like the only negative was the red card - but it was a big negative to be fair.

NFI why Verbeek thought playing Craig Moore on a high line against the Jormans was a good idea :lol:

There's an argument that when it's goal-bound then it doesn't matter if it's ball-to-hand or hand to ball. That said, I'd be filthy if it was given against us (which is, I guess, the real test for me)

And yes, playing an offside trap relies on defenders who can outrun a snail...

Podolski is in no way Polish.

Making him play for Poland because he was born there is mental - I'm pretty sure he can't even speak Polish. And the whole 'blood' theory is even more archaic, what the fuck is 'blood' man?

How is he no way Polish when he has a Polish mother and a Polish father along with actually being born there?

For historical reasons among other things I can´t imagine how Polish parents can allow their kid to grow up as a Nazi German but cases like this are situational of course. I moved to Iceland when I was 4 years old and have never considered myself anything but 100% Polish.

Klose is a different case, his father is a ethnic German and the family moved to Germany the same year Klose was born. So it would actually be weird if he had decided to play for Poland.

Not sure what people are complaining over though, most of the "non Germans" in the German team are born there or moved there at a very young age. It´s not like they are scouting all the neighbouring countries for young promising players to Germanize.

And besides, the Polish youth setup is useless. Podolski and Klose wouldn´t be 1/10 of the players they are today had they been raised in Poland.

edit: ahahhaa, just read that the Polish U-21 lost to Luxemborg u-21 a few days ago.

Guest Phil K

That made absolutely f*** all sense.

A lifetime of talking out of his arse tends to do have that effect on others.