Report: Alan Smith to leave NUFC in January?

Thespence

My only issue with him is the wage-eating - he clearly isn't getting anywhere near the first team except in situations of absolute necessity when there is absolutely nobody else. I consider him insignificant and haven't deemed him an NUFC player for years.

Guest KeithKettleborough

My opinion is that the criticism is a little OTT and primarily a reaction to being hopeless in the past 12 months or so. Not a great player for us and last season can't remember much good he did at any time. However feel he played a big part in stabilising things in the early part of the Championship season, when many thought we might struggle. Many battling performances made a mark and meant that we were not the push over many thought we might have been. The togetherness of the team in those early games, was due to many players but think Smith played a big role in this too. Obviously not a Prem player but no way would I say he was one of the worst players we have ever had. Can go back many years and remember many far worse  throughout their time with us, than Smith was. Having said that, won't miss him if he left but felt he did have a decent spell and was some use, all be it against poorer opposition.

Journal reckons Smith will consider his options and may stay and fight for his place. Great!

He'll stay and pick up his cash more like it. At least it's only one more year.

If we would have to pay up his contract to get rid of him then we may as well keep him around.

Disagree, would genuinely rather we have a raffle at the stadium and the winner gets a game in midfield.

If we would have to pay up his contract to get rid of him then we may as well keep him around.

With this twat still around, there's always a danger he'll make it on to the pitch. Get shot, I say, and do it quickly!

For what reason?

Unless you reach some sort of agreement whereby you give Smith less than his wages, it makes no sense to pay him off in full and lose his services.  However limited and awful those services might be.

Those services are worthless. He'll just deprive someone like Gosling or one of the younger lads of a place on the bench. He brings the entire squad down.

Absolutely right. Pay him off and send him on his way.

Much as I don't like or rate Smith - people are going massively over the top on this one.  There is no merit whatsoever in just paying him £3,000,000 to leave.

In an absolute disasterous run of injuries, I would probably rather have him filling in for a few games than a Michael Richardson or Inman.

With this twat still around, there's always a danger he'll make it on to the pitch. Get shot, I say, and do it quickly!

Bringing him on the pitch cost us 3 league places in the final game of the season. That cost us  a few million on top of the money we are already chucking down the drain by paying his wages.

Much as I don't like or rate Smith - people are going massively over the top on this one.  There is no merit whatsoever in just paying him £3,000,000 to leave.

In an absolute disasterous run of injuries, I would probably rather have him filling in for a few games than a Michael Richardson or Inman.

So he can give away the ball and then a free-kick soon after? Enough's enough. I'd rather play with 10 men.

So he can give away the ball and then a free-kick soon after? Enough's enough. I'd rather play with 10 men.

That's just taking it to extremes.  Can't believe I'm actually defending Smith here, but to suggest that you'd rather play with 10 men is just 'forum' exaggeration for effect.  He is extremely limited as a player.. but seriously, he is not that bad.

That's just taking it to extremes.  Can't believe I'm actually defending Smith here, but to suggest that you'd rather play with 10 men is just 'forum' exaggeration for effect.  He is extremely limited as a player.. but seriously, he is not that bad.

Yes he is. We've seen it time after time. If we'd played with 10 men from the start against Blackpool at home we'd have probably won.

If we're paying off the whole contract rather than striking a deal then we may as well keep him as a motivational speaker.

To motivate what, fed-up season ticket holders to attack him with sticks?