Report: Alan Smith to leave NUFC in January?

Thespence

When I think of the 'group of lads' that Hughton talked up as being behind the great team spirit at the club, I always thought of Nolan, Barton, Harper and Smith.

Is it a coincidence they all seem to be getting moved on?

When I think of the 'group of lads' that Hughton talked up as being behind the great team spirit at the club, I always thought of Nolan, Barton, Harper and Smith.

Only really bothered about one (Barton), also even if for sentimental reasons I would like to see Harper finish his career here.

Tbh, Barton and Nolan I can see why they were moved on and it's nothing to do with any unrest, just Mike Ashley's old value for money-ometer. Smith goes without saying.

Probably, given that three of them aren't PL footballers and the other's a complete tool.

Have no bad feeling towards him, but he's a terrible footballer and I'll be pleased when he's off the wage bill.

Really not getting the hate though. We offered him a ridiculous contract, he signed it. Where's the problem? Those saying "He should leave and get half the money so he can play football every week" are being incredibly idealistic. I'd respect him massively if he did do that, but he's not obligated to and I can't blame him for staying and seeing out his contract.

I'd do exactly what he's doing, and I reckon the majority would too.

Don't begrudge him his contract but we didn't even need him in the first place. FS bought him knowing he had no role to fit into a 4-5-1 at all, of all the poor games he's put in those early ones on the wing will forever stick in my mind, I could've done better a job, at least I have a trick or too.

i would echo the thoughts of some people here and ask "would you turn down an outrageous contract?". Its Big Sam's fault for putting on a 5 year, but tbf at the time i was happy. I thought he would be a good striker! We should have tried to shift him earlier but i dont think he was seen as anything but a first team player until second half of last season when Tiote stormed into form...its just annoying when he comes on and is poor/seemingly helps the opposition due to his ineptitude...

i wouldnt call him a leech, just a shit shit player...

• 1 month later...