Report: Alan Smith to leave NUFC in January?

Thespence

Guest magpie99

Thats right. It is a case of another body from an already threadbare squad gone, whether you rate him or not and a very physical presence as well. Maybe you would rather see Guthrie, Raylor or even Gosling in Tiote's role next January?

The squad isn't threadbare, it's just our back up players like Smith are s****.

Do you really believe that?

Let me remind you that currently, we have three forwards (Best. Shola, Lovenkrands) who got less than 20 goals between them last season, no pacy widemen or cover, no decent full backs (once Enrique has gone) and no cover for them either and only 3 experienced central defenders.

The only areas in the squad that are reasonably strong are goalkeepers and central midfield and we have managed to p*ss off our top goalscorer and player of the year already.

Yep, we are really strong through, arent we?

Why don't you read what I said again and have another try at digesting it rather than having a hissy fit.

It is no hissy fit, sunshine. I am just stating the bleeding obvious. Yes, I know our back up players are not the best and at the latter part of the season, we were down to the bare bones by using kids.

We need an overall major service in the club, not just two or three expensive signings.

Thats right. It is a case of another body from an already threadbare squad gone, whether you rate him or not and a very physical presence as well. Maybe you would rather see Guthrie, Raylor or even Gosling in Tiote's role next January?

The squad isn't threadbare, it's just our back up players like Smith are s****.

Do you really believe that?

Let me remind you that currently, we have three forwards (Best. Shola, Lovenkrands) who got less than 20 goals between them last season, no pacy widemen or cover, no decent full backs (once Enrique has gone) and no cover for them either and only 3 experienced central defenders.

The only areas in the squad that are reasonably strong are goalkeepers and central midfield and we have managed to p*ss off our top goalscorer and player of the year already.

Yep, we are really strong through, arent we?

Why don't you read what I said again and have another try at digesting it rather than having a hissy fit.

It is no hissy fit, sunshine. I am just stating the bleeding obvious. Yes, I know our back up players are not the best and at the latter part of the season, we were down to the bare bones by using kids.

We need an overall major service in the club, not just two or three expensive signings.

Again you've not read what I've said so I'll spell it out for you...

A threadbare squad in football refers to lacking in numbers, something which we don't since we've got 20+ senior players on the books.

The point I made was that when you get past the starting 11 a lot of the back up players are simply not good enough, so the squad isn't threadbare it's lacking quality in depth.

You following now, sunshine?

Btw we've got 5 strikers on our books without counting this seasons academy graduates.

Guest elbee909

It's an argument of Alan Smith standard effectiveness - lots of bluster and little end product.

Guest neesy111

Thin squad gets thinner, oh yeah fantastic news. :rolleyes:

Getting rid of Smith improves the squad. It's obvious.

Get's someone like Vuckic a better chance of first team games.

Guest icemanblue

I'm joking of course, I'd push him off a bridge.

They'll be queue.

Fucking rights, they will be.

It is good news that we ate getting rid of Smith. Can't believe I was actually happy when we signed him. :-( but it would be good having cover for tiote during the ANC. However even if we don't buy a replacement any of our current players are an upgrade on smith. I would even see Colo there before him.

Can't believe I was actually happy when we signed him.

Likewise. Feels like a long time ago... or it must have been in some parallel universe.

Can't believe I was actually happy when we signed him.

Likewise. Feels like a long time ago... or it must have been in some parallel universe.

I remember being against it from the start but I certainly didn't expect such negative contribution.

Editor:

Leeds United chairman Ken Bates is refusing to rule out return to Elland Road for former striker Alan Smith. In interview to Yorkshire Radio, Bates said: "It depends if the manager wants him. Alan Smith returning would be a very popular move."

And that's just from his selling club :razz:

Editor:

Leeds United chairman Ken Bates is refusing to rule out return to Elland Road for former striker Alan Smith. In interview to Yorkshire Radio, Bates said: "It depends if the manager wants him. Alan Smith returning would be a very popular move."

Simon Grayson, make it happen!  :snod:

The other thing of course is Alan Smith's wages. He's been at Manchester United and Newcastle, so his wages are probably in the stratosphere, well over the seven-figure region, so I suspect if he did join us he would have to knock a nought off it and probably half it, which may not suit him or his agent.

Yes, I can see how going from £60k per week to £3k per week could be a problem. :lol:

Guest neesy111

I'd rather we paid his wages up and just booted him out of the club.  His presence in the squad always make's me scared.