Report: Alan Smith to leave NUFC in January?

Thespence

What's the world coming to when brutally honest criticisms are called over the top unless they get couched with a compliment or some kind of positive?

He's s*** but he had a good game or two three years ago.  :thup: acceptable

Would rather kit out a dead walrus and play him instead but Smith is a good lad who played well against dire competition in the championship. :thup: acceptable

To be fair it's like playing with 10 men but wow, remember that Villa game?  Fantastic. :thup: acceptable

Want him out ASAP :thdn: WHY THE NEGATIVITY

I think it's more when the criticisms are peppered with cunt, coward, greedy prick etc that people feel it's over the top.

Not that I agree, I'm firmly in the 'greedy prick should've left at least at the beginning of this season if he had an ounce of self-respect' camp. If he doesn't have that and is happy picking up his wages, don't see why we should show him respect in our opinion of him :dontknow:

Smith scored in his debut, in preseason!  was quite chuffed then!

Then he was shit until we went to championship. Here he was good/ok until halfway through. Since then not one good moment, except for that one shot last year that i seriously tought was gonna go in. Silly me.

Good look at WestHam/Leeds.

He's a cowardly, terrible footballer with not an ounce of integrity.

Bang on. He's already turned the chance of football at Leeds.

He'd rather make more money not playing than drop down a division and actually earn his money. Greedy prick.

If someone offered you double your salary to sit at home and do nowt, would you?

£60k and not playing OR £30k and playing? No brainer tbh.

We've made the sackless cunt a multi-millionaire and playing football should now be his priority when he's only got a few seasons left in his useless legs. The fact he's unwilling to take a wage cut speaks volumes about the wanker. Nothing but contempt for him as a human being. 

Devils advocate, if your company were daft enough to give you a contract that paid you ludicrous sums of money to be shit at your job wouldn't you take it and hold on with everything you had till it ended.

Yes he's shit, yes he's never going to improve but the powers that be were daft enough to put him on that contract. Can't blame the useless fucker for holding on to his lottery ticket with both hands.

Devils advocate, if your company were daft enough to give you a contract that paid you ludicrous sums of money to be s*** at your job wouldn't you take it and hold on with everything you had till it ended.

No.

I resigned from a position earlier this year with a Lloyd's Syndicate because it was professionally unfulfilling while also being unchallenging, a position not dissimilar to young master smiths. 

It wasn't footballer money but it was, likely, a ludicrous amount compared to most (I was the 1%).  I found it really easy to walk away from and I'm now making half that but I'm happy and enjoy my work.

Devils advocate, if your company were daft enough to give you a contract that paid you ludicrous sums of money to be shit at your job wouldn't you take it and hold on with everything you had till it ended.

Yes he's shit, yes he's never going to improve but the powers that be were daft enough to put him on that contract. Can't blame the useless fucker for holding on to his lottery ticket with both hands.

He's 30 years old and this his 14th season as a professional footballer for Leeds, Man U and us. Does he really need to squeeze every single penny out of this (ludicrous) contract? At what point does playing become more important than making even more money?

He must have been paid millions and millions of pounds over the course of those 14 years. He's a multi-millionaire and he still doesn't want to sacrifice a single penny so he can actually continue his career and earn his money. Bates gave him the chance to continue earning at £30k a week whilst playing regularly in an attempt to get his home-town club back into the Premier League. He turned it down because he didn't want to miss out financially.

He's got his priorities wrong. If he's 10 years younger and got loads of time left then I can understand it - Sidwell at Chelsea. This cunt though...

Devils advocate, if your company were daft enough to give you a contract that paid you ludicrous sums of money to be s*** at your job wouldn't you take it and hold on with everything you had till it ended.

No.

I resigned from a position earlier this year with a Lloyd's Syndicate because it was professionally unfulfilling while also being unchallenging, a position not dissimilar to young master smiths. 

It wasn't footballer money but it was, likely, a ludicrous amount compared to most (I was the 1%).  I found it really easy to walk away from and I'm now making half that but I'm happy and enjoy my work.

The difference being he's happy and enjoys his work too as he gets to run around with some blokes and have a laugh, without the hard work and risk on a Saturday.

No.

The difference being he's happy and enjoys his work too as he gets to run around with some blokes and have a laugh, without the hard work and risk on a Saturday.

What difference?  I laughed with my mates in the coffee rooms and had good times there, it wasn't a fucking coal mine :lol:.  The work was easy and unchallenging though.  Just like turning up for practice without ever playing must be. 

Really I'm not sure what you're devils advocating here. 

Either he wants to play but doesn't want to move for a lower wage in which case he's a greedy cunt

or

He doesn't want to play but wants to collect wages just the same in which case he's an unambitious greedy cunt.

Like choosing between a broken leg and a broken arm really.

I'm saying he's a greedy cunt but the vast majority would do the same in that situation.

If you look at society there aren't a vast number of people holding their hands up saying actually i've got enough money thanks.

Most people will ride the gravy train as far as it goes, then look for more.

I like to think that if I was lucky enough to have fooled the world into thinking I could continue to play football at a professional level to the point Smith has, I wouldn't be at the level of greedy cunt that I wouldn't drop from £60k to around £20k to be able to play football again. Especially when I'm already at the tail end of my career, with only a few years left anyway.

I hate the 'we'd do the same' argument. Football is a job that the average male would love to do, if I could earn around £2k a month at a lower league team I personally would jump at it, let alone £20k a week at my hometown fucking club. Smith doesn't strike me as someone who's wasted his money over the years. He can't drop down for the last few years to actually make a respectable finish to his career? It's laughable tbh.

Obviously that mindset won't be the same for all footballers who will get a taste of the big money and not want to drop down. Doesn't mean just because a lot of players and people in other walks of life do it I should accept it's not twattish.

We offered him his contract and it's our fault that a poor footballer is being paid a lot more than he's worth.  On the other hand, if I was in his position and employed by Leeds but had the chance to join Newcastle for less money, I'd do it.

We offered him his contract and it's our fault that a poor footballer is being paid a lot more than he's worth.  On the other hand, if I was in his position and employed by Leeds but had the chance to join Newcastle for less money, I'd do it.

Yup. No question.

Meh, he was signed on false pretenses, much like Ali Dia.