Rooney - - not firing on any cylinders

Rob W

This is one time I hate being proved right

TBF I think Rooney cared (and I think James was the only other one who did last night)

he was just not sharp  nor fully fit

and when England fell back on the long ball from the back he just disappeared

Can be an interesting WC. Out of the big European leagues, only Spain and Germany remain in contention (and we still have to play). The Bundesliga has much less foreigners than the PL, I don't know how Italy fits in these numbers (Inter plays with close to no Italians, Milan has a big foreign contingent too but I'm not familiar with the lesser clubs)... so maybe it is true that big European leagues are nowadays developing other national squads instead of their own, and that's why we see a decline of UEFA nations in this tournament.

Spain has quite fewer foreigners than the PL too, but I won't include us in the reasoning until we see how far we get (on paper we have a great deal of talent, though) and to add to that point those countries have more players playing abroad.

I am sure, i heard something on ssn a year or  2 ago that30 % of players in England are English  40 % of players in Germany are German 60% ofplayers in spain are Spanish and 70 % of players in Italy are Italian.

Can be an interesting WC. Out of the big European leagues, only Spain and Germany remain in contention (and we still have to play). The Bundesliga has much less foreigners than the PL, I don't know how Italy fits in these numbers (Inter plays with close to no Italians, Milan has a big foreign contingent too but I'm not familiar with the lesser clubs)... so maybe it is true that big European leagues are nowadays developing other national squads instead of their own, and that's why we see a decline of UEFA nations in this tournament.

Spain has quite fewer foreigners than the PL too, but I won't include us in the reasoning until we see how far we get (on paper we have a great deal of talent, though) and to add to that point those countries have more players playing abroad.

I am sure, i heard something on ssn a year or  2 ago that30 % of players in England are English  40 % of players in Germany are German 60% ofplayers in spain are Spanish and 70 % of players in Italy are Italian.

Just checked how many foreigners are in those respective leagues: (from transfermarkt.de)

Bundesliga: 49,0 %

Premier League: 64,5 %

Seria A: 43,3 %

La Liga: 35,1 %

This is one time I hate being proved right

TBF I think Rooney cared (and I think James was the only other one who did last night)

he was just not sharp  nor fully fit

and when England fell back on the long ball from the back he just disappeared

Rooney looked overweight. His arse was massive.  :lol: :blush:

And what's the percentage of foreigners at Real and Barça, given that most of the Spanish team comes from those two clubs?

Guest Heneage

Surely the better stat would be what % of players in those countries academies graduate to play in the top tier...

And what's the percentage of foreigners at Real and Barça, given that most of the Spanish team comes from those two clubs?

52,4% foreigners in Barca's first team. 58,3% in Real's.

EDIT: But on the other hand, the numbers for Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool are 70,4%, 67,7%, 86,7% and 77,8% respectively.

Think he just completely bottled it to be honest.

Knew the nation's hopes were pretty much resting on his shoulders for the World Cup and he couldn't deal with it at all. Really surprised by that to be honest, thought he was made of sterner stuff.

Will be interesting to see how he responds next season.

52,4% foreigners in Barca's first team. 58,3% in Real's.

EDIT: But on the other hand, the numbers for Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool are 70,4%, 67,7%, 86,7% and 77,8% respectively.

Thanks.

Think he just completely bottled it to be honest.

Knew the nation's hopes were pretty much resting on his shoulders for the World Cup and he couldn't deal with it at all. Really surprised by that to be honest, thought he was made of sterner stuff.

Will be interesting to see how he responds next season.

I don't think it'll be interesting tbh. He'll do well for Man U as always. Probably starting with a hattrick against us.

Guest firetotheworks

Cue the 'thats how you answer your critics' soundbites next season. Except it won't have answered anything until he atones for how little he put into this WC.

According to SSN Rooney lost the ball or was tackled in possession more than any other player at the World Cup.

so he was the worst player there- well he looked it.

He's lost that spark, the edge he used to have. He never goes on mazy runs anymore or really runs at people.

His game used to be all about pace, movement, unpredictability and flair. He might be a better team player now - as well as being more refined, but he's not the maverick we saw as an 18 year old.

He's also lost a yard or two of pace as well. He's still class, but I much preferred his playing style as an 18 year old.

:undecided: