World on alert Germans marching again!

Parky

You need to practice taking penalties because so much of it is your technique, especially when you're sidefooting the ball into the other corner. If your technique is wrong, you're going to miss the target or hit it without any power. Get the technique right and you take the GK out of the equation.

Again, people harping on about technique when the English problem is one of mental strength or lack thereof.

This.

I think if it came down to pens, England will have already lost.  Stevie G and Lampard have already missed last time against Portugal and I think it will play on their minds when they step up again.

Or then again, they could do a Stuart Pearce and go mental once they've scored.

You need to practice taking penalties because so much of it is your technique, especially when you're sidefooting the ball into the other corner. If your technique is wrong, you're going to miss the target or hit it without any power. Get the technique right and you take the GK out of the equation.

Again, people harping on about technique when the English problem is one of mental strength or lack thereof.

This.

I think if it came down to pens, England will have already lost.  Stevie G and Lampard have already missed last time against Portugal and I think it will play on their minds when they step up again.

Or then again, they could do a Stuart Pearce and go mental once they've scored.

I agree that when it comes to penalties it's down to mental strenght. So what about to don't let Gerrard and Lampard take a penalty? There are enough other players who could do and who haven't missed in one of the last tournaments.

Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, J.Cole, Carrick, Barry and so on. Even the defenders should be able to take one.

It definitely makes sense for everyone to practice penalties. I remember 1998, when David Batty, after the miss that sent us out, admitted he'd never even taken one before.

Christ. :lol: That's just ludicrous. I mean, you must practise up to a point, but the Germans aren't masters of pens because they have better technique than anyone else.

It definitely makes sense for everyone to practice penalties. I remember 1998, when David Batty, after the miss that sent us out, admitted he'd never even taken one before.

Only time I've cried because of football.

Guest Roger Kint

Think England have the right idea. Practice them at the end of sessions and anyone who wants to take one can put their names forward for any possible shootout. Seems like we have gone into games(let alone tournaments) with players unprepared like Batty which is just madness. Didnt Paul Ince bottle it when asked leaving Batty to stand up for them?

Christ. :lol: That's just ludicrous. I mean, you must practise up to a point, but the Germans aren't masters of pens because they have better technique than anyone else.

Aye, it's partly a mental thing. But for deffo the Germans practice penalties.

Only time I've cried because of football.

Twice for me. When we sold Cole and got knocked out of FA cup on Penalties by Chelsea....96/97?

Aye Eddie Newton scored the decider.

Guest Roger Kint

No, ince had already missed before batty took his.

Hmmm i remember a senior player being accused of it(unless it was the 96 Germany loss?). Maybe my drunken imagination as i was in Tenerife at the time haha

Looking at the team it could only have been Campbell/Adams/Neville/Southgate so am better the latter.....

Hmmm i remember a senior player being accused of it(unless it was the 96 Germany loss?). Maybe my drunken imagination as i was in Tenerife at the time haha

Looking at the team it could only have been Campbell/Adams/Neville/Southgate so am better the latter.....

Ince bottled it at Euro '96 iirc.

Guest firetotheworks

I remember one of the first things David Batty said after that pen miss was 'Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed, but there's more important things in life than football.'  :lol: The fucker didn't even like football, he just played it like an engineer that was skilled in the trade of football.

Ince bottled it at Euro '96 iirc.

Was it him that took his boots off?