The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Guest neesy111

They create lots of chances but play an awful brand of football.

They have done for an age; Houillier, Benny, Hodgson, Dourglish. Evans was their last genuinely entertaining manager.

That's harsh. In the season they finished 2nd under Rafa I always enjoyed watching them.

He threw the title away that season.  Last only 2 games all season, but drew shitloads.  Torres was awesome (when fit) that season.

They have done for an age; Houillier, Benny, Hodgson, Dourglish. Evans was their last genuinely entertaining manager.

That's harsh. In the season they finished 2nd under Rafa I always enjoyed watching them.

Each to their own and some of the link up play between Torres and Gerrard was outstanding I'd agree but it was never the same consistant electric football that Man Utd/Arsenal/whoever could put together, Rafa always erred on the side of pragmatism too much for my liking.

On the flip side though, this style is what has seen them pick up cups galore under those managers I mentioned.

He threw the title away that season.  Last only 2 games all season, but drew shitloads.  Torres was awesome (when fit) that season.

His "fact" rant was probably the point when Rafa started to lose it.

Guest Howaythetoon

The only time I really enjoyed watching liverpool under Rafa was when Torres first joined and even then they hardly played scinitilating football. Today they are pretty much a bridged Houllier/Rafa side with the dour demeanour of their manager probably dominating their core philosophy which is a rigid defensive shape with direct forward play from the flanks and through central channels in the final 3rd. Effectively similar to how Blackburn were set up. Only Liverpool lack a Shearer. Blackburn were a decent side when they won the league but if you took Shearer out of that side, they would have been a top 6 side at the most which is what this Liverpool side is.

Unlike then, however, adding another Shearer to this Liverpool side, would not bring about the title as the game and the competition has changed dramatically since then where a 30 plus a season striker and a relatively strong defence almost guaranteed you the title or a real good crack at it. The best I've ever seen of Liverpool was under Evans who had them playing great football and actually challenging. Today they are a bridged version of Houllier and Rafa's side like I said but without Owen's goals (or Torres) and the drive of Gerrard and the steel of Carragher, both of whom are finished at the very highest level. Furthermore, Rafa and Houllier had clear tactical plans, Dalglish seems to have none.

And Suarez, seriously, he's massively overrated. Yes he has great feet and excites but his finishing is awful for a so-called top-class player. He constantly berates his team-mates too and atagonises the opposition, ref and fans too with his cheating and unsporting behaviour to the point it actually works against Liverpool. That and he's a little racist cunt.

To think he cost 22m when Ben Arfa who has similar skills but without the cuntish features cost only 5m.... but then Liverpool have often massively overspent even back to the days of Souness. 2.5m on Julian Dicks was it? 8.5m on Collymore? In Rafa we trust 20m on Acqualiani or whatever he's called and now £35m on Carroll from KKkenny :lol:

And people say we've wasted a shit load over the years.

Each to their own and some of the link up play between Torres and Gerrard was outstanding I'd agree but it was never the same consistant electric football that Man Utd/Arsenal/whoever could put together, Rafa always erred on the side of pragmatism too much for my liking.

On the flip side though, this style is what has seen them pick up cups galore under those managers I mentioned.

The whole thing with the fullbacks looking at the bench for permission to cross the halfway line. That will be my endearing memory of Rafa. :lol:

Guest Deadmau5

...and yet for all the slag, they are still massively superior to us in pretty much every area of the game, defence, buildup, posession and domination.

I dont enjoy watching them either, but that I suspect is due to my dislike of seeing them anywhere in general. They might be dross to watch, but their passing pisses all over ours.

They dont have a striker capable of banging them in. If  they had Ba they would have sat 3rd now comfortably Imo ( mainly because of Arsenal and Chelsea being s*** this season and tottenham tapering off).

They have spent massively on s**** players, but they are a proper goal scorer away from a top-4 finish this season.

As much as we laugh them off at the moment, I suspect we will be taught a fotballing lesson we wont forget about anytime soon when they come visit.

As much as I dislike Liverpool, they are actually able to outpass and beat top-4 sides. Man United aside, we look like Wigan most of the time when faced by a properly decent side.

Honestly stunned to see people that actually think they play good football.

That Sunderland game a couple of weeks ago was one of the worst games I've seen in years, the mackems were crap but Liverpool were even worse.

Maybe it's just the games I've watched then. They've looked a very good passing side when I've watched them, although they lack a cutting edge. They certainly move it well from the back and through the midfield without resorting to hopeful long balls to the front man like we do. I agree with Deadmau5, what the lack most is a genuine striker to play alongside Suarez.

...and yet for all the slag, they are still massively superior to us in pretty much every area of the game, defence, buildup, posession and domination.

I dont enjoy watching them either, but that I suspect is due to my dislike of seeing them anywhere in general. They might be dross to watch, but their passing pisses all over ours.

They dont have a striker capable of banging them in. If  they had Ba they would have sat 3rd now comfortably Imo ( mainly because of Arsenal and Chelsea being s*** this season and tottenham tapering off).

They have spent massively on s**** players, but they are a proper goal scorer away from a top-4 finish this season.

As much as we laugh them off at the moment, I suspect we will be taught a fotballing lesson we wont forget about anytime soon when they come visit.

As much as I dislike Liverpool, they are actually able to outpass and beat top-4 sides. Man United aside, we look like Wigan most of the time when faced by a properly decent side.

We didn't look like Wigan against Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs at home or City.

You and your negativity, man. Just look at your avatar. People like you disgust me.

Liverpool? Good football? Biggest yao ever, tbh.

They're like a rich man's Birmingham City (under McLeish, that is). They use their midfielders as defensive cover, primarily. Everything after that is a bonus.

It's the reason why they're successful against top league sides. They frustrate them (and most top sides this season aren't that incisive - so they self-destruct). When the onus is on them to break down a side that sits deep against them, they can't.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Liverpool are not an especially great footballing side and haven't been for as long as I can remember.

All that needed was whatever the Everton equivalent of 'FTM' is.

This is a bunch of bullshit. "A footballing lesson we won't forget about anytime soon" - give me a break. You make it sound like Barca is coming to SJP.

:lol:

Guest Deadmau5

A circle-jerk revolving around the view that Liverpool play crap fotball is a bit rich, even for me. Its the kind of stuff other supporters would spit their pint out if they read. They are s*** at scoring goals, thats why they are below us in the table.

As far as passing the ball goes, they are miles ahead of us, even after buying 100 million worth of mediocricy in the summer and hiring Kenny.

I`d put them on par or slightly below  the current Chelsea-team, minus goalscoring ability.

If you say their fotball is s***, then our fotball is turboshit with 2 superchargers strapped on, So you paint yourself slightly into a corner by saying so.

:lol:

Colocho back and in full swing.

No one has came here and went away with an easy point or three, so don't know why these should. Even Chelsea hung on a bit until the two late sucker punches.

Didn't Chelsea tear us a new one in the first half? I still have nightmares of Ryan Taylor being raped at left back by Sturridge throughout the first half.