The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Much better appointment than the other names that were knocking about. White elephants like Van Gaal and Capello or guaranteed mediocrity under O'Neill. Though for what it's worth I think Rodgers greatly benefitted from having a very well-run club in Swansea backing him, we'll see if Liverpool can provide that. A lot will depend on the backroom staff that will be appointed and the support the fans give him.

I also think Liverpool dodged a bullet in Martínez, that would have been a pretty straightfoward 5-0 for Parky.

Thing is, what did we think (as well as others) when we appointed Pardew? Had a canny shit record, fans didn't want him, "deluded geordies and their expectations" and all that typical bullshit. Didn't turn out too bad in the end did it? :|

Guest Brendan_Rice

I think he'll do alright tbh.

I also like to keep saying this in the hope it jinxes them.

Me to, hope he fails miserably though

But what's 'alright' in the context of Liverpool? Will they qualify for the Champions League next season? I don't think they will - regardless of what they do in the transfer market. Already this summer, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and even Arsenal (if they keep RVP) have made colossal strides to 'reinstating' some kind of top four elite. We'll be in the mix again next season, too.

They'll need at least one transitional year under him to suss out which players can adapt to his style and which areas he needs to improve - if the board/their fans are prepared to give him that, could be good move over the next few years. Just don't see either party giving him that long.

Swansea suddenly got massive favourites for a dodgy second season in my mind.

Top 4 will be City, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal in some random order i really dont see anyone breaking into it.... Liverpool and Spurs will either stagnate or go backwards and we will try and solidify our status as a top 6 team ( and i believe we will be successful) and Everton will crop up the rear as far as top 8 goes.

But what's 'alright' in the context of Liverpool? Will they qualify for the Champions League next season? I don't think they will - regardless of what they do in the transfer market. Already this summer, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and even Arsenal (if they keep RVP) have made colossal strides to 'reinstating' some kind of top four elite. We'll be in the mix again next season, too.

Alright as in better than this year. It can hardly be much worse tbf, irrespective of how overrated they may be by some the fact remains that they have better players than most clubs in the league and are traditionally strong at Anfield where opposition teams often wilt. They also defend well, which is a decent basis for Rodgers. They should certainly be more than five points above 12th anyway.

I agree with you, I don't see them back in the top four any time soon. But I do expect to see them back in the fight for 6th and possibly above us, which won't be nearly as funny as Dalglish's reign.

He's going to need money and time to get that shower of shite playing good football in his way. And he has neither. 

Basically he needs 3 years and he'll get 3 months. ;)

I can't believe there are Liverpool fans arguing this is a great appointment. This just won't end well or even start well and I'm so relieved they didn't go for AVB.

Think he's blown it in the PL...Too much squatting on the touchline.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Making little tactical poos that float over the players heads and not into them.

Watch how Jose squats, tactical poos straight into minds.

He'll be under the cosh by Christmas when they aren't in the top four.

He'll be lucky to last the season with those fans. Shame because he's areet.

The Rafa stuff always gets me.  :lol:

We aimed for the ceiling, Rafa took us to the sky, We aimed for the moon, Rafa took us to the sun, And our light was shining bright.

(Rafa Benitez) Thrown out of the club and left in the wilderness where he has become a wild beast.

Everyone knows how close he (Benitez) was to dominating world football with the most awful owners, what he could do with decent ones? we could have played...with Meireles, Aquilani and Lucas in midfield would have been a dream, equivalent to Busqeuts, Xavi and Iniesta.

Er. OK. Well Welcome to Liverpool FC whoever you are.

Honestly know nothing at all about the man. Not who he's played for or anything about him.

Time to Google our new manager I guess.

I didn't even know what he looked like yesterday. But the articles written about him so far sound promising.

:lol:

Guest Tyson

Can definitely see Siggurdson pulling the plug on his move to Swansea, at the 11th hour. Rodgers was the likely drawcard there. Siggurdson will be Rodgers' 1st signing imo, and the lad's agent will seize upon a higher ceiling of earning potential (and quickly too). I'd imagine that an extra digit may be added to the transfer fee too, and Liverpool will pay it.

Crucial season for Carroll now. If he's unable to strike a rapport with the new manager, he'll end up at low-table West Ham & Stoke. Carroll (for 10m, offloaded at a massive loss) would be a marquee signing for both Allardyce & Pullis. Within their respective gameplans, a high premium is placed on a centre-forward that has the pure physical attributes needed excell in the bash-and-crash game.

In regards to Rodgers. He's the nearest thing (with the right cattle/players onboard, embracing his ideas) which could emulate the type of football seen during King Kenny's Glory Years ie. technical, vibrant attacking football. It's been a little while but the potential is there, for Liverpool to their status as a top-of-the table mainstay. But The Kop & the board needs to give Rodgers the time needed, to implement  his ideas (and the off-season looks to be a major vehicle refit in this respect).

Suarez (who will excell under Rodgers imo), Gerrard, Siggurdson (?, if he follows Rodgers), and Carroll (if he strikes a rapport with the new Gaffer, akin to one established with Hughton) could be a damaging nucleus.