The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Guest Tyson

Additionally, my reaction to this news was 'fuck!'

The three managers i hoped Liverpool wouldn't sign.

1. Klopp

2. Rijkaard

3. Rodgers (if they looked at a promising manager, sitting on the cusp of earning a big job, from the domestic scene)

The Rafa stuff always gets me.  :lol:

We aimed for the ceiling, Rafa took us to the sky, We aimed for the moon, Rafa took us to the sun, And our light was shining bright.

(Rafa Benitez) Thrown out of the club and left in the wilderness where he has become a wild beast.

Everyone knows how close he (Benitez) was to dominating world football with the most awful owners, what he could do with decent ones? we could have played...with Meireles, Aquilani and Lucas in midfield would have been a dream, equivalent to Busqeuts, Xavi and Iniesta.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/BadAndys5oh/smiley.png

Fucking hell, I think that Benítez was a good manager for them all things considered but some of the hyperbole you see on Rawk is ridiculous :lol:

It's amazing how their views can be so skewed by one CL win. Without that win they'd accept he was a good manager overall for them that wasn't going to take them to that next level of the title winning team they aspire to be.

f***ing hell, I think that Benítez was a good manager for them all things considered but some of the hyperbole you see on Rawk is ridiculous :lol:

It's amazing how their views can be so skewed by one CL win. Without that win they'd accept he was a good manager overall for them that wasn't going to take them to that next level of the title winning team they aspire to be.

Saying Liverpool have been a big club the last 20 years, is like saying Greece are one of the best team Europe's seen in the same time frame. (regulars at major tournaments, winners once...)

Despite a modest wage bill, Rodgers has built a side who have impudently dominated possession against their supposed superiors.

“This is our philosophy,” Rodgers said. “I like to control games. I like to be responsible for our own destiny. If you are better than your opponent with the ball you have a 79 per cent chance of winning the game.

The Moneyball obsessed Liverpool owners will love him. Shame they forgot to take a look at his actual management credentials. How does a win percentage of 41% throughout his management career relate to that made up piece of crap statistic about possession correlating with winning games?

http://thepathismadebywalking.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/formation-in-possession.jpg?w=409&h=575

http://thepathismadebywalking.wordpress.com/2012/01/27/682/

The goalkeeper is seen as the sweeper and has a set of similar roles (in possession) to zones 2 and 3. The keeper is expected to act as a pressure relief for under pressure team mates.

Zone 2 consists of two centre backs who, unlike in other formations, are expected to play a huge role in keeping possession. They also act as pressure relief to the midfield and an obvious option for the goal keeper to play the ball out to. Instead of passing the ball 30, 40 or even 50 yards the majority of their passes will be kept under 10 yards.

Zone 3 has arguably the most important role to play in keeping possession. This player must be particularly good at keeping possession under pressure from opponents and will often see their passes also being played short for the duration of the game.

Leon Britton, Pirlo and Xavi are examples of players who act as the deep lying play makers, the water carriers, the short playing quarterback or the ‘volante de salida’ which simply translates in football terms as the outlet for under-pressure team mates.

“I get the ball, I pass, I get the ball, I pass, I get the ball, I pass.”  (Xavier Hernandez 2011) Xavi’s  hypnotic approach to the game in a simplified view. Key abilities are not to play the ball out of pressure but to play the ball within high pressure.

Zone 5 have the role of consistently finding space acting as the final piece in the triangular connection between team mates. These two centre midfielders, like the player in zone 3 must have high standards of passing ability and awareness to keep possession but must also have high levels of stamina to work as box-to-box midfielders. They do not necessarily look to create the spectacular, but are the catalyst in the change of speed in which the possession play is being played at, the moments of which they choose to change speed and direction of the ball are key to the succession in creating opportunities to create an assist or goal. Both zones 3 and 5 will be expected to boast 90% pass completion rates in order for the system to work successfully.

Zone 4 are expected to act as support to players in possession are too expected to look to work themselves into the triangular connections made with team mates. They are expected to get forward as play moves up the pitch and follow the ball back when play dictates so. Zone 4 will opt to cross the ball from the opponents byeline rather than from deep, in keeping with the 1950’s optimum assist zone in zone G.

Zone 6 will consist of arguably the most creative players on the ball either in the sense of dribbling ability of passing ability to create. Messi, Scott Sinclair, Nathan Dyer, Pedro, Afellay, Cuenca et al are examples of players who play in this system and portray the qualities expected. This zone will also be responsible for much of the goal scoring as well as the assisting of goals.

Zone 7 needs a player who is good technically and can hold the ball very well as well as link up the play. The difference here to what a traditional long ball target man will be is the lay off to a team mate will usually follow up with this player spinning away to find space and having full awareness of where space is around him in all areas of the field, the 360 degrees of vision with and without the ball.

Zone G is the zone to which optimum chance creation occurs. However, the difference in this system is not that of desperation to play the ball as you get into this zone, but to see if the opportunity is indeed available. If not, then the only viable option is to turn and play the ball back which then may well get played all the way across to the other side of zone G, or even back to the same side if the opponents defensive positioning has changed. Patience is the key here and the general rule that one goal is scored to every nine shots will alter due to the quality of opportunity created being significantly better.

What is all this stuff?  :frantic:

I'm fucked!  :embarrassed: :cheesy:

£5m's quite a lot but it amazes me how much clubs dig their heels in over compensation for managers, most recent example being WBA apparently turning their attentions elsewhere rather than pay a measley £2m to Birmingham for Chris Hughton.  It's nowt really.  Then on the other end of the scale you've got Chelsea paying £13m for Andres Villas-Boas then binning him months later.

Completely forgot about Aquilani. What's happening with him? Did he get many games for Meelan last year? Is he coming back to Liverpool?

If he does come back I could see him being a massive player for them if he's fit enough.

I can't say I like the way Rodgers often uses possession in a negative way, as a way of preventing the opposition from playing rather than creating chances for his own side. If that idea catches on, we're in for some deadly dull football matches.

There's also a danger in going too much by statistics. While it may be true that the team who dominates possession may have a greater statistical chance of winning, if that team is actually spending half the time prodding the ball between the midfield and the back four, then that advantage is reduced.

I'm not sure that the Liverpool fans or the Liverpool players are going to be too happy if Rodgers leads them down the same path. Their expectations and ambitions are different from Swansea's.

Remember Joe Cole is still on Liverpool's books as well.

If he gets the chance he should stay at Lille. Unfortunately, I can see him taking the easy route and ending up at West Ham or QPR.

Do you think they will stump up his 80 000 a week wage, if not hell still be a liverpool player.