The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Thought Liverpool were fantastic tonight. They attacked with purpose and speed and caused untold problems. I still detest everything about them, but they're capable of a higher level of football than us for sure.

For all their so called purpose, speed and supposedly causing untold problems they didn't really cause Zenit any problems outside of set pieces.

2 of their goals came from free kicks and they looked most dangerous from corners and free kicks.

Philosophy :lol:

Imagine if Suarez had kept missing them like he did last season.

This is a bit Spurs-centric but RAWK was a great read last night. One post caught my eye:

Can't wait to see Spurs drop when he leaves.

He's in red hot form, but for me he's only just ahead of Cazorla or Mata for me this season. And Stevie. RVP and Suarez are still the stand out players. Its sad that a few screamers and little else makes you world class in this day and age.

Oh and a one man team is when you're consistently outplayed by pretty weak sides, and then win through one man scoring worldies out of nowhere. Aka, Spurs. Suarez and RVP are the focal point of two teams who play good football and create a lot of chances for them. There's a world of difference.

It's the little "And Stevie" that I particularly like. There's an element of truth there, but it's smothered in guff ("consistently outplayed"? Hmmm). This is a response from one guy:

There's a Bale-specific thread on RAWK. The bitterness towards us in general is so arousing. Couple of posts take the whole one man team spiel to new levels.

It's quite simple. We are a visceral and daily reminder of how they have squandered their position of established CL participation. No real excuses to deflect their own self loathing. No oil money. No "it's soooooooo unfair". Just an in-their-face middle finger that punctuates and highlights their own failures.

I'd feel sorry for them but the first 20+ yrs of my life as a Spurs fan was spent being mocked repeatedly for the sorry ass state of THFC and how badly the club was failing. Even during the yrs they counted Phil Babb among their numbers.

Don't hate me for it. I'm a product of my environment. So, fuck them. Right in their Scouse faces.

That about covers it for me.

A lot of folks looking forward to Bale leaving Spurs need to remember they will likely be getting at least £50 million for him.

In my opinion, they wil likely use some of that to build an even better overall team next year.

A lot of folks looking forward to Bale leaving Spurs need to remember they will likely be getting at least £50 million for him.

In my opinion, they wil likely use some of that to build an even better overall team next year.

There'd be less media fellatio though. Which seems to be the cause of irritation for many.

I think he'll stay if we're in the CL. If not, then maybe, although I wonder who we'd actually be able to get in, despite all that money. I'd rather he stayed, but if you could guarantee me two or three specific players to replace him (someone like Willian, a proper centre-forward (Leandro Damiao?), a classy midfielder (Moutinho)) then great. They'd cost more than 50M though.

Bale should do the honourable thing and retire the ugly cunt.  :lol:

Seriously though, it would be nice to see a player stay loyal to a club for once, but if not, £50m or whatever they get will go along way to building a quality team, or maybe put towards a new stadium or expansion.

I say this but hope to god Suarez fucks off from Liverpool for a little as possible.  :lol:

I think he'll stay if we're in the CL. If not, then maybe, although I wonder who we'd actually be able to get in, despite all that money. I'd rather he stayed, but if you could guarantee me two or three specific players to replace him (someone like Willian, a proper centre-forward (Leandro Damiao?), a classy midfielder (Moutinho)) then great. They'd cost more than 50M though.

Either way you're in really great shape.

Levy is great in the transfer market. No doubt he'll pull something spectacular out of the hat without wasting the money unnecessarily.

Levy is great in the transfer market. No doubt he'll pull something spectacular out of the hat without wasting the money unnecessarily.

Levy is good at getting a good price for his players when they leave but his buying record is not that amazing.

The cost of improving the overall team if Tottenham sells Bale is a lot bigger than the profit from selling Bale. First they need to replace him, and other than getting in a striker you have to go really high up in the level of quality to improve on what they already have.

They should keep Bale at all costs, even if they miss out on CL - and in addition to that try and get a quality striker in the doors.

The cost of improving the overall team if Tottenham sells Bale is a lot bigger than the profit from selling Bale. First they need to replace him, and other than getting in a striker you have to go really high up in the level of quality to improve on what they already have.

They should keep Bale at all costs, even if they miss out on CL - and in addition to that try and get a quality striker in the doors.

Michu to Spurs this summer? I could see it.

Someone like Belhanda or Willian also.

Will probably now finally land Moutinho too.

I honestly think Spurs will be a better overall team next season even if they lose Bale.

Could very easily see it happening.

Absolutely.

Out of our best players, we lost Carrick mainly because we didn't make Champions Lasagne League, and because Man U. We used the cash on Berbatov, Zokora, and some kids. The Berbatov money was used to keep us up in a desperate January, and the Modric and VDV money hasn't made us better, just deeper. You just can't guarantee that a wodge of cash will buy you class - just look at Dalglish's Liverpool. We only have to look at Bentley.

Guest palnese

Why/where would Bale go? I don't think they'll sell him.

I think he'll end up at Man Utd. Can see them sending a player or two + a large stack of cash Spurs' way.

Levy is good at getting a good price for his players when they leave but his buying record is not that amazing.

It's pretty good. Lots of hits, a couple of really big misses.

Thing is, it's not really his buying record - he doesn't usually pick the players. We supposedly have a committee, of sorts, which is intended to avoid making big, one-off mistakes based on one guy's opinion. There's a worry that it might land the manager with someone he doesn't want, but AVB really is actually a new-school coach, as opposed to Redknapp, an old-school manager. Not old-school in terms of methods necessarily, but old-school in terms of his expectations as a manager (full control over transfers etc), as Portsmouth found out to their cost.

Guest Howaythetoon

Spurs have shown that you can lose your better players so long as you replace them with equal or better. They have lost some serious talent over the years and have always came out on top. They spend a lot of money on players but they recoup a lot too and seem to have struck the right balance. They for me are arguably the best ran club in the division given they don't rely on a sugar daddy, CL money constantly or huge gates. Now Redknapp has gone, I actually enjoy watching them now and quite like them even as a team. The Bale hype is silly like but he is doing the business for them on a consistent basis and is clearly a very very good player, easily up there in the top 5 in our league in terms of performers at the moment which would put him easily into the top 20 in the world in terms of performers.

What saddens me is that we are not too far off them in terms of players actually and in many ways we are even better off yet on and off the pitch we are miles behind them when it comes to performing. It was only a few years back when Spurs looked at us finishing in CL/European places and aspired to be like us, minus the headlines and baggage of course. Now I personally see them as a club we could do well to try and emulate on and off the pitch.

Plus we have the likes of Leffe186 and even Jol on here, top lads IMO and good craic.  :thup:

Spurs have shown that you can lose your better players so long as you replace them with equal or better. They have lost some serious talent over the years and have always came out on top. They spend a lot of money on players but they recoup a lot too and seem to have struck the right balance. They for me are arguably the best ran club in the division given they don't rely on a sugar daddy, CL money constantly or huge gates. Now Redknapp has gone, I actually enjoy watching them now and quite like them even as a team. The Bale hype is silly like but he is doing the business for them on a consistent basis and is clearly a very very good player, easily up there in the top 5 in our league in terms of performers at the moment which would put him easily into the top 20 in the world in terms of performers.

What saddens me is that we are not too far off them in terms of players actually and in many ways we are even better off yet on and off the pitch we are miles behind them when it comes to performing. It was only a few years back when Spurs looked at us finishing in CL/European places and aspired to be like us, minus the headlines and baggage of course. Now I personally see them as a club we could do well to try and emulate on and off the pitch.

Plus we have the likes of Leffe186 and even Jol on here, top lads IMO and good craic.  :thup:

You'll be performing fine on the pitch next year. This January has been immense for you, as long as you stay up (and you're clearly going to). As long as you keep Cabaye and Ben Arfa, who are the real difference-makers, you now have a squad that's plenty strong enough, particularly as you will probably not have European football to worry about. The problem over the last couple of years has been that a couple of injuries completely screw you up. That shouldn't be a problem any more. I suppose Pardew is the unknown quantity.

Next season will be a real punch-up. I always thought you'd struggle this year unless you strengthened, but next year I'd expect the top eight to be fairly close.

Guest Howaythetoon

You'll be performing fine on the pitch next year. This January has been immense for you, as long as you stay up (and you're clearly going to). As long as you keep Cabaye and Ben Arfa, who are the real difference-makers, you now have a squad that's plenty strong enough, particularly as you will probably not have European football to worry about. The problem over the last couple of years has been that a couple of injuries completely screw you up. That shouldn't be a problem any more. I suppose Pardew is the unknown quantity.

Next season will be a real punch-up. I always thought you'd struggle this year unless you strengthened, but next year I'd expect the top eight to be fairly close.

If Pardew remains in charge I fear we will always be what we are at current, a hit and miss side that struggles to go anywhere.

I really like AVB mind and he could given his age go on to create a real dynasty with you guys. I actually hope you get a CL spot ahead of Chelsea and Arsenal. Its good for our game and gives clubs like us reason to believe we can also play CL footy.

Regarding Bale, I'd cash in personally because your board have shown they can replace quality with equal quality. You never know losing Bale could mean Sigi comes good or someone else. That cash injection though especially if you qualify for the CL and with all that extra TV money could even see yous challenging for the title.

I wonder if Bale is the type who will get his head turned by a bigger club?

We were told by several people that he would be off last year if we didn't get CL. He signed a new contract.

All the evidence points to him being a bit of a home body (http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tottenham-star-gareth-bale-walks-to-training-and-prefers-holidays-in-cardiff-to-dubai-6531911.html - it's an old article, but it checks out). That would suggest that Man U or Man City would be the most likely destinations. The question is, who would want him that could afford him? That really restricts it to only a handful of teams. I don't think his head would necessarily be turned by bigger teams per se, but I do think that he wants to develop as a player. Hopefully he thinks AVB can do this for now - and the way we play fosters that. He will no doubt see regular CL games as the next way to improve.

He has been with us for pretty much his entire professional career, which I think will help. None of the other four big players we've sold have had that connection.