The Liverpool Thread

Parky

The league table isn't infallible.

I sometimes think that goal difference is a good guide to a teams quality too.

Our goal difference is becoming very healthy now. It's a very positive sign for the future.

I mean, I get where he's coming from, but :lol:.

I should preface this by saying that I fully expect to lose today, and would bite your hand off for a draw. That said, I think that both Spurs and Newcastle fans are accused of delusion more than most, and so I'll add this post to the one above:

Of course the team's final position in the league table is "all that matters", but that doesn't mean that the team that ends up, for example, 16th performed marginally better over the course of the season than the team that ended up 17th. Luck, bad calls by refs and linesmen, weather, 'flu outbreaks, and all the other intangibles make a difference, and they don't necessarily even out, even over a 38-game stretch. You only have to look at the GD column in the PL table to realize that a team's points total might not be an infallible indicator of performance.

So, do Spurs deserve to be 4 or 5 places ahead of us in the league table? The statistics complied by Opta and Squawka show that although there's not much difference between the two teams in overall performance, we're slightly ahead of them on a number of criteria. So, does this mean we'll get 3 points tomorrow, and the league table will better reflect that fact?

So now Liverpool are better than us at goal difference, and also (he says) Opta etc. And, of course, there will be several posts saying they're better man for man. And the reason we are currently 12 points ahead of them (in a league where less than 12 points separate the bottom eleven teams) is simply luck, bad officials and illness/injury. Despite the fact that we've actually been consistently ahead of them in the physioroom table, missing key players for extended periods of time. God, I hope we beat them yet again. What would their rationalization be then?

I think you'll win tbh. Just let them win the passing and counter attack them with Lennon and Bale.

Lennon's a doubt, came off against Inter with a hamstring problem. Big, big potential miss - this is where keeping Townsend would have been useful. Liverpool fans are saying that their team is: Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Agger, Carragher, Gerrard, Lucas, Downing, Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge. That's a really strong team, and as I say, I'd happily take a draw. We're likely to be Lloris, Walker, Dawson (Caulker?), Vertonghen, Dembele, Parker, Bale, Sigurdsson, Holtby(?), Defoe. Hopefully Defoe decides to have one of his games where the shots actually go in. He's due.

Guest firetotheworks

Will be 9 points behind them tomorrow if we win, would be good if we could eat away a few more points going into our game at the end of April to give us a chance of somehow catching them. :lol:

You nutter! That's totally optimistic.

We should have wanted Southampton to lose but it makes my day to see Lpool falter again as it really isnt supposed to be happening anymore. We all should appreciate by now that Rodgers is the originator of passing football  and is well on the way to restoring Lpools rightful place at the top of English football.

Shame on teams who beat them, its not in the script they must stop it at once.

Will be 9 points behind them tomorrow if we win, would be good if we could eat away a few more points going into our game at the end of April to give us a chance of somehow catching them. :lol:

You nutter! That's totally optimistic.

:lol:

What constitutes another Parky goal? If Everton finish above them again?

Yeah. :)

With the money they've spent they have to finish top 5 or it's failure imo.

Not true. 

http://www.givemefootball.com/334284-top-five-most-expensive-premier-league-squads

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/premier-league/startseite/wettbewerb_GB1.html

A fifth place finish would see them performing above expectation based on the value of their squad alone.

But that's looking at how much players are worth, not how much people spent on them.

The point is if you spend a load of money, you're expected to climb the table. If the players you bought weren't worth the money, that's your problem.