The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Let's not forget Liverpool have spent some money on that side. They spent nearly 20m on Sakho for god's sake.

They were in the top 4 for net spend last summer, and spent on Coutinho and Sturridge in January, so they are hardly scraping by.

The football is impressive and the improvement in some players is also a real achievement mind you.

Good post.

Even 'Hendo from Wembo' cost them a fair few bob. I have to say (and this is inexcusably arrogant of me, I know) but the PL top clubs seems to spend its money really unwisely IMO. Especially the likes of Chelsea. The league should really be a no-contest, but fair play to Liverpool (and more so to Arsenal IMO) - while they're not exactly paupers, they're rubbing elbows with teams that should be clear sailing.

I think Chelsea's problem is the same as Newcastle's: a dodgy owner. Abramovich can't help sticking his oar in and doing dumb shit, like buying Shevchenko, or giving Mourinho the boot the first time around to bring in a sycophant instead.

Given equally smart spending, the club with the deeper pockets is going to have an advantage, barring rotten luck with injuries (it's practically impossible to keep a squad full of world-class players happy).

Not that Rodgers isn't good, but even Henderson showed great potential. He was just mocked by clueless short-termists because of his big fee.

Nah. For me it wasn't about his talent as such as he always looked to have some ability about him but whenever the pressure was on him he just shrunk. The derby games for example, he could not handle the occassions of those and seemed to play within his shell.

Not that Rodgers isn't good, but even Henderson showed great potential. He was just mocked by clueless short-termists because of his big fee.

He was anonymous in nigh on every game I saw him play for Sunderland.  His improvement this season has been astonishing.

A bit harsh, he was not showing that potential when playing in a better side until this season. Still got a long way to go too but he's getting more consistent and influential.

So many of their players have developed under Rodgers, he's the main reason. Sturridge is a f***ing pisstake, he has something like 28 in 35 since he joined. And what's happend to Sterling and Henderson this year is just remarkable.

Tbf Sturridge has always scored goals when ever he started games.

At Bolton he couldn't stop scoring and at Chelsea when he got regular games even though it was on the right wing he still was their top scorer at the time :lol:

The bloke clearly has a knack for finding the back of the net.

As for Sterling i have always liked him right from the get go, sure he was raw as all kids are but he clearly had talent to do something great if he continue to improve.

I'll give you Henderson, but at the end of the day none of these players are scrubs they all had potential to be good players and in Sturrridge's case great.

While Rodgers deserves a boat load of credit, its not like he's taken Shola type players and made them quality.

I think he's done a lot to utilise the talents of these players, Sturridge being the most prominent beforehand, but he's not been playing to this level before.

I'd add Flanagan to the list as well, plus his ability to make Coutinho effective.

Deeper pockets = less patience. In football building sides is an advantage over 3-5 years.

Yeah. The managers often have to go for established players, not prospects, which significantly increases transfer costs.

He was anonymous in nigh on every game I saw him play for Sunderland.  His improvement this season has been astonishing.

Passed me by, like. I thought he was decent for mackems, nothing more. Moved to Liverpool seemed to struggle in a better side and was getting found out. Second half of last season though he started putting in some good performances and he's carried on that form this season whilst improving his game to look a great addition to that side now.

Rodgers has still made signings with a lot to prove though, likes of Sakho/Chissoko/Allen/Aspas, decent money signings who have struggled with injuries and form. Hasn't all been plain sailing on the transfer side of things.

Borini

Aye that wanker :lol: Probably a couple more, you get the idea i was getting at though. Spent a fair bit of money in his time there, hence why they bumped him of anymore money in Jan when he was crying out for some to help with his challenge.

Ronaldo was pretty ridiculous in his last season here wasn't he?

:thup:

It's one of those two that I've seen as well as Henry in the undefeated season. I'd give it to Henry or Suarez because I just can't imagine what he'd have done had he not missed the first 5 games this season.

Ronaldo 07-08 or Drogba 09-10. Suarez will probably eclipse both at this rate, though.

I'd have Henry all day over Drogba's season. I'd actually have both those seasons from Henry. Scored from everything and created everything. As for Ronaldo, yeah it was his second last season for Man U that was amazing. Didn't he score like 30 goals?

Ronaldo 07-08 or Drogba 09-10. Suarez will probably eclipse both at this rate, though.

I'd have Henry all day over Drogba's season. I'd actually have both those seasons from Henry. Scored from everything and created everything. As for Ronaldo, yeah it was his second last season for Man U that was amazing. Didn't he score like 30 goals?

31 in 34.  Suarez currently has 28 in 25.

31 in 34.  Suarez currently has 28 in 25.

Oh absolutely, but in general play Ronaldo was incredible as well and played more as a winger didn't he?