Dan Gosling

Dave

Definitely Guthrie tbh

Based on what?

Guthrie is talented in some areas and severely deprived of talent in others.

Isn't every footballer?  :facepalm:

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. I wasn't in any way trying to criticise Guthrie, just comparing his talent with Barton's.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Definitely Guthrie tbh

Based on what?

Isn't every footballer?  :facepalm:

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. I wasn't in any way trying to criticise Guthrie, just comparing his talent with Barton's.

Yeah, it was ridiculous, I still can't believe for someone who ponces about on a forum like you do as if they're some sort of Footballing Guru who should be writing for The Times stooped as low as to shoot out a generalisation like that.

Definitely Guthrie tbh

Based on what?

Isn't every footballer? :facepalm:

Yeah, it was ridiculous, I still can't believe for someone who ponces about on a forum like you do as if they're some sort of Footballing Guru who should be writing for The Times stooped as low as to shoot out a generalisation like that.

:lol:

There's a difference between a guru and a non-idiot who can follow the most simple of points.

Here's the idiots guide:

Guthrie hasn't been blessed with any athletic talent, he's slow, very weak and has a pretty poor engine. He's more talented with the ball at his feet, but as a footballer, Barton has the greater talent. He's a good passer, good cardiovascular endurance, average pace and average strength.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

There's a difference between a guru and a non-idiot who can follow the most simple of points.

Here's the idiots guide:

Guthrie hasn't been blessed with any athletic talent, he's slow, very weak and has a pretty poor engine. He's more talented with the ball at his feet, but as a footballer, Barton has the greater talent. He's a good passer, good cardiovascular endurance, average pace and average strength.

A one sided constructed argument to back your own agenda, not once mentioning any of Barton's weaknesses. What good are Barton's talents if he's injured/suspending for the majority of the season? Surely that makes Guthrie the better option by default, since Guthrie is allowed on the pitch to actually play. None of the things you mentioned seem to set Barton apart from Guthrie either, with Barton's apparent strength being that he can pass the ball - something which requires the ball to be at his feet. Oh, and he has a bit more stamina.

You've went downhill ever since 'The Beckford Scandal'.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Its accurate, but doesn't really distinguish them as two entirely different players. I just think his generalisation post was rather lazy, and his follow up, as mentioned, hardly distinguished the two players.

Guthrie is a lightweight ballplaying midfielder, where as Barton is a driving force in midfield that can also help defend. Guthrie will float in and out of the game, offer an option if you get the ball to him. Barton imposes himself on the game, often too much, will look to win the ball back and do something with it.

Nobody mentioned injury records, the arguement is about talent. I think Barton has more. And he's proved it, Guthries proved nowt, yet. Liverpool didn't want him, Bolton didn't, and we got relegated with him looking lost for large parts of the season.

I like Danny, he's got a lot of creativity in his locker, but not a whole hell of a lot more than Barton. And Joey, as i've already stated, is far better equipped for the rigours of Premier League football.

fwiw i'd play both as your first choice pairing, i think both are quality.

I reckon Coyle wishes he was still a Bolton player.

Also he got played on the RW a lot which didn't help his cause.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

In an ideal world, with the squad we have, we'd have Guthrie and Barton in the middle as they'd compliment each other well and the rest of the team. If anything, Guthrie would do well to develop a bit of aggression into his game from Barton.

Sad state of affairs when Guthrie and Barton are the best combination we can muster. The centre of the midfield still needs strengthening (literally and figuratively) for me, but I can't see it happening unless the club have got another Bassong-type deal up their sleeves (young, up and coming player bought for relative peanuts who has good ability and excellent physical attributes) - just to fully explain myself so I don't get called "lazy").

Not enough pace or power (say that like Hansen would, it's lush) to compete with a lot of even the poorest of midfields in the PL.

For what it's worth, that first paragraph is why I'm not exactly doing somersaults about Gosling - more of the same. Again.

Not in the PL he didn't, get you facts right for once.

In the Championship he was very good, I praised him on many, many occasions last season.

How long can someone go without having a good game before people realise he's not our best midfielder at all? On that basis we should resign Butt.

Utter nonsense

How is it utter nonsense? I can count on one hand the number of good games Barton's had for NUFC. He's still living off a decent season with Man City about five years ago, he even looked shit in the CCC. No player I've ever known has got away with being shit for so long - his reputation has actually been enhanced by being constantly injured or banged up ffs.

Not in the PL he didn't, get you facts right for once.

In the Championship he was very good, I praised him on many, many occasions last season.

oooo  :hom:

How long can someone go without having a good game before people realise he's not our best midfielder at all? On that basis we should resign Butt.

Utter nonsense

How is it utter nonsense? I can count on one hand the number of good games Barton's had for NUFC. He's still living off a decent season with Man City about five years ago, he even looked shit in the CCC. No player I've ever known has got away with being shit for so long - his reputation has actually been enhanced by being constantly injured or banged up ffs.

I'm not looking to get into a big debate over Barton but to say he looked shit in the CCC is something I can't agree with. He was played well as a sub v WBA on the opening day, had a good game v Reading, played a few games with a broken foot and was then out for months. On his return, he played his way in a bit at first but finished really strongly v Peterborough, Plymouth and QPR despite playing wide left in a few games.

Guest BooBoo

Barton was pretty cack at QPR from what I remember. He looks painfully slow, and carrying too much timber.

Utter nonsense

I'm not looking to get into a big debate over Barton but to say he looked shit in the CCC is something I can't agree with. He was played well as a sub v WBA on the opening day, had a good game v Reading, played a few games with a broken foot and was then out for months. On his return, he played his way in a bit at first but finished really strongly v Peterborough, Plymouth and QPR despite playing wide left in a few games.

Really? God I thought he was miserably poor. He gets caught in possession so often.

I often wonder if Ronaldo speaks to people in the manner he does on here in real life. He'd be absolutely hilarious to be around like.

He gets punched in the face a hundred times a day for fun, read from that what you will.

Here's the idiots guide:

:thup: Agreed.

Barton needs a good run of playing every game for about 15 games to get properly match fit,  he's barely played any football in the last few seasons due to injuries and off field dramas,  its no good him coming in and playing 3 games then missing 4 and then coming back for another 5 then miss the next 3 again,  doing that he'll never get to the level he was at when he was running the game for Man City in the season before we signed him.  In a way its the same with Shola,  due to his injuries he's never gets the run of games back to back(more than 12)  to get fully sharp and match fit