Dan Gosling

Dave

Most of the people complaining that he isn't good enough, will then complain about the club missing out of him if he goes elsewhere.

Not saying he isn't good enough, just we'd have to wait until 2011/2012 to actually get him in form. If we are patient. And if we are still in the top division.

I'm not bothered what you're saying. :thup:

Not a good move for Newcastle, Gosling or Everton.

He's injured with a bad knee injury and even if he manages to come back as good as before, he'll struggle for form this season. Newcastle fans are an unforgiving bunch, and as soon as he's fit, he'll be expected to slot right into the team straight away, and when he doesn't he'll be written off as shite.

Yet even in that scenario we'd still end up with a free young player on reasonably low wages who at worst we could sell on (and be at least good backup until then).  How can that be a bad deal for Newcastle?

I am happy about Gosling. I am also happy about the club policy of buying players only younger than 25.

Yeah, it's good to know these players are more likely to improve rather than go backwards  :thup:

Guest orang

Gosling is a decent player with an eye for goal.  He does seem to get into some great goalscoring positions but he lacks pace and the technique to forge a career at the real top level.

For him it'll be a good move as he's about 10th choice for a midfield spot when everyone is fit and so he'll get to play more football.  He is versatile, playing right and centre mid for the first team and stiffs, even having a couple of games at RB too.  Can't see him cutting it at CM in the Prem.

As mentioned a decent player but not one to get over excited about.

Gosling is a decent player with an eye for goal.  He does seem to get into some great goalscoring positions but he lacks pace and the technique to forge a career at the real top level.

For him it'll be a good move as he's about 10th choice for a midfield spot when everyone is fit and so he'll get to play more football.  He is versatile, playing right and centre mid for the first team and stiffs, even having a couple of games at RB too.  Can't see him cutting it at CM in the Prem.

As mentioned a decent player but not one to get over excited about.

I take it you're and Everton fan.  You may be right about him being 10th choice but to be fair he's really about 3rd choice bearing in mind most of your midfield is injured all the time.

We know how it feels though.

Guest Antigalican

I don't think anyone here is looking for over-excitement, just decent players that will give everything and maybe add that extra couple of precent over the season that will keep us up. Midfielders with an eye for goal are always welcome commodities.

Young, English, decent w/ potential to be slightly better than decent. Versatile. Inexpensive. If he and Perch are the only signings, we've got a problem.  If not, I see no problem whatsoever.

Clearly not the case though.  :lol:

He was used relatively sparingly for Everton last season and I'm not sure he's any better than Guthrie or Barton at the minute, mind admittedly I haven't seen much of him but i've got a mate who supports Everton that seems to think the same.

Even if that is the case, surely a 20 year old English lad with potential on a free transfer is a sight better than 99.99% of our other transfer options this summer.

Happy with the signings of both Perch and Gosling so far. Neither are spectacular additions but both are young and ambitious. While it would be nice to inject some real quality into the centre midfield area, we do have Barton and Guthrie in there with Smith and Nolan also in the mix. While they aren't the best in the premier, buying in players of a higher pedigree would probably cost a fair whack unless we are going to go for over the hill proven quality. In that respect Gosling is a better option IMO.

young player who more than held his own in the premiership hopefully coming in on a free or a little compensation in a position we need strengthening.

i really don't understand those blasting away with "he isn't quick" or "he can't get past a man" when from what i've seen he has good stamina, good awareness and good technique that has seen him more than just survive at premier level at a young age. i know you can't really say how young players will turn out but he has enough for him to develop into  a gary speed/tim sherwood type not the quickest or zidanesque midfielder but enough to make them invaluable to their clubs at this level.

James Milner had exactly the same said about him but a lot of people thought he would be a lot better in the centre and this proved to be the case and those down sides to his games weren't shown up as much.

From what people in the know about Gosling have said he does sound a fair bit like Milner (not quick but will run all day, likes a shot, decent passer of the ball, not really a right winger etc..)

That's enough for my wank bank :D

James Milner had exactly the same said about him but a lot of people thought he would be a lot better in the centre and this proved to be the case and those down sides to his games weren't shown up as much.

From what people in the know about Gosling have said he does sound a fair bit like Milner (not quick but will run all day, likes a shot, decent passer of the ball, not really a right winger etc..)

That's enough for my w*** bank :D

It's an interesting comparison you make with Milner. Good thing that Gosling already sees himself as more of a central player too.

imagine what difference a fit (physically & mentally) barton plus a young midfielder who can run (assuming he can still run) like gosling will make to our side...god, i think i'm pissing my pants at the prospect of a semi-normal functioning central midfield

on the flipside, another breakdown for barton & gosling being a permacrock makes me virtually shit myself with dread

Too early to expect Vuckic in CM. His first appearances will probably be in a role behind the striker.

aye, too young and inexperienced to go in the centre of the park like

Not sure how many times you have seen him but none of those reason are why I would not play him in the middle. I would not play Vuckic in the middle as does not track back & cant tackle. Apart from his brief 1st appearances, I have saw him about  5 times & the formations are often built around him.