Dan Gosling

Dave

Guest elbee909

Let's hope the golden goose lays an... egg, all in one basket.  Our goose is cooked.  Gosling!  You see.

Guest schmuck

It's nice to think about Barton and Gosling/Guthrie or maybe even all three in the centre but the we all know in reality that Nolan will start the season and it will take a lot of poor performances, an injury or a crane to shift him.

I have more reservations over Guthrie than Nolan or Barton tbh. I dunno what it is with Guthrie, I used to like him, but I'm not sure he'll be much cop in the Premiership. Really hope I'm wrong though.

For the first time in ages we can start thinking about what we might look like in the future (if we get Gosling). This wouldn't be a bad start:

Guthrie    Gosling

Routledge                                    Jonas

Vuckic

Carroll

Guest schmuck

Not sure why there's this negative attitude towards Nolan. Think in a midfield three he'll get us goals, two of Barton, Gosling & Guthrie just behind him wouldn't be the worst thing imo.

He seems a great guy from the outside, an important character and is decent technically but he just offers nothing other than goals, which I think he'll struggle to get next year - he didn't score any in his last season in the Premiership and on  8 in the two before that combined, he obviously makes a contribution but not enough to justify a regular starting place imo - it feels strange to use this word in relation to him but he was a luxury player in The Championship and we can't afford that this season. Having said all that I could just about make my peace with him behind Carroll, but as 1 of a central 2, which he will most likely be and where he got most of his goals last season, I can't see it working, will the 5 or so goals he gets from there be worth his lack of impact in nearly every other department? Not for me [/andytownsend]

Routledge  Barton  Guthrie  Jonas

Nolan  Carroll

:weep:

I actually think that doesn't look too bad. Wouldn't mind kicking off the season like that if Barton hits the ground running.

Nar you're right. Its not too bad for a team that's just come up from the Championship, and looking through the pictures and reading the story's and listening to his interviews I really like Nolan, I just think he'll struggle to score in the prem and if we put a lot of the goal scoring burden on him we'll struggle.

That pic of him and and paul barron talking to forster looks good, I like he's taking on that role as he is the most experienced prem player and most experienced team leader and we really need that. But I just worry about him playing and him being a bit of a watse of a position when we could have put someone a bit more explosive and unpredictable in there

Routledge  Barton  Guthrie  Jonas

Nolan  Carroll

That doesn't look too bad at all.

I know football isn't played on paper but compared to AT LEAST 4 or 5 other teams in this league, that's a stronger looking midfield line up.

Survival here we come :thup:

Guest BooBoo

It's a big assumption that Barton is going to be able to cut it in the PL after three very limited seasons in terms of game time and form. I hope he can, but it's risky to gamble on him in such a key area.

It's a big assumption that Barton is going to be able to cut it in the PL after three very limited seasons in terms of game time and form. I hope he can, but it's risky to gamble on him in such a key area.

Rather risk him than risk Nolan or Smith in there.

Guest BooBoo

Nolan has at least produced for us though, albeit at Championship level. In the absence of buying a striker I'd be playing Nolan off Carroll with Guthrie and Barton in the middle. As I say though, there's a large degree of risk given Barton has shown little in his 3 years at NUFC. Hopefully though he can get a run of games and only then really can he be judged as a player. His career with us has been so stop start, it's tricky to really say whether he can still cut it or not.

I think Joey Barton showed in his early days at Man City what he was all about. Granted, I don't think we've seen that same Joey Barton while he's been here but hopefully he's learnt from his (many) mistakes and can build a reputation for himself as the player he threatened to be whilst at Man City.

I think Joey Barton showed in his early days at Man City what he was all about. Granted, I don't think we've seen that same Joey Barton while he's been here but hopefully he's learnt from his (many) mistakes and can build a reputation for himself as the player he threatened to be whilst at Man City.

He's been here 3 years and done nowt. Can't see it changing, tbh.

if early days at a club showed what you are all about ameobi would be getting england squad call ups and jenas would be the captain.

I'm not saying it's nailed on, I was merely backing up ElDiablo's stance in that he's a better bet than Smith/Nolan in a deeper lying midfield role.

I'm also not claiming that he will recapture any form of old, or turn into a special player, I'm simply saying that I'd like to see him try and fulfill at least some of the promise he showed.

I'm not saying it's nailed on, I was merely backing up ElDiablo's stance in that he's a better bet than Smith/Nolan in a deeper lying midfield role.

I'm also not claiming that he will recapture any form of old, or turn into a special player, I'm simply saying that I'd like to see him try and fulfill at least some of the promise he showed.

we'd all love to see him do it,just some aren't anywhere near as sure as some that he will.

When will people ever learn with Barton?  He's played less than 50 games in 3 years and is a massive twat. 

Always amazes me how readily people think they can depend on him.

He's been a massive twat, yes. From memory though, since he said way back last year that he'd changed and that he'd give his all at Newcastle I don't recall reading a bad word about him.

If he played for anybody else he'd be the biggest cunt in football but he plays for us so I'm more inclined to give him a break.

Has Barton actually ever had a good game in a Newcastle shirt?

I cant recall one.

spurs away.

good game, not brilliant or outstanding, the type of performance he should consider slightly above average but much, much better than almost everything he produced for us before or since.