Dan Gosling

Dave

I have massive doubts about Nolan but I have a faint hope that a season scoring for fun has given him the boost needed to get back to that season he did well many years ago. To be fair although he played poo but managed to score goals for most of the season towards the end he definitely upped his game and improved his all round play.

Smith started well imo but didn't take long to fade away and revert to form. 

smith got an injury in jan (in fa cup i think) and  never found his previous form after that which is a shame because i really like him tbh bit useless as a player but i like him none the less

I am delighted if this happens, he seems to be a promising player from what i have heard. The fact that we got him when there seemed to be a lot of interest from the likes of Bolton, scum, W Ham and possibly others has flabbergasted me,  the people who made this deal happen deserve a lot of credit for getting in there and getting us the pleyer Hughton wanted and has given me optomism at the fact that for the first time since Ashley came we have seemed to have been ruthless in the transfer window.

I have massive doubts about Nolan but I have a faint hope that a season scoring for fun has given him the boost needed to get back to that season he did well many years ago. To be fair although he played poo but managed to score goals for most of the season towards the end he definitely upped his game and improved his all round play.

Smith started well imo but didn't take long to fade away and revert to form. 

smith got an injury in jan (in fa cup i think) and  never found his previous form after that which is a shame because i really like him tbh bit useless as a player but i like him none the less

Smith turned shite long before January. He was decent in the first few games, but then I think that was just because of extremely low expectations of him. He managed to fool us (me) once again that he was decent, hard working holding midfielder, when in reality he was just sitting a couple of yards away from the back four and threw himself into a challenge every now and then.

I am delighted if this happens, he seems to be a promising player from what i have heard. The fact that we got him when there seemed to be a lot of interest from the likes of Bolton, scum, W Ham and possibly others has flabbergasted me,  the people who made this deal happen deserve a lot of credit for getting in there and getting us the pleyer Hughton wanted and has given me optomism at the fact that for the first time since Ashley came we have seemed to have been ruthless in the transfer window.

We haven't got him yet. Don't jinx it. :lol:

Guest Heneage

Does make you wonder why more clubs werent interested btw

Pay no attention, half the league wanted Smith when Man United were selling.

Apparently forum legend Alan Nixon is saying it's done on BRFC forum.

Weren't quite a few reportedly interested? I am sure the press were reporting at least 9-10.

press repeatedly said us the mackems and west ham, bolton came into it over weekend, i can imagine others like stoke wolves birmingham and blackburn would have been sniffing too

If nothing else at least we've signed two with noone going. If we can just hold on to the fantastic four (Jonas, Jose, Andy & Colo), I will be able to go confident into the new season.

I would of course be a lot more confident if we could make some impact signings in important areas + get rid of some of the dead wood.

Amazing how many people are turning their nose up at him :lol: Can't see much of a queue behind Gosling like.

He's a young, decent player and I for one will gladly see him at the club if it means one less place for Alan Smith.

malandro proving he's a total and utter berk in this thread. No-one is 'getting a stiffy' over this signing, people are just pleased we are signing a young, hungry player with some prospects for (next to) nothing. It's a good transfer and a fairly low-risk one at that; and it is also pleasing to see we are closing in on targets and doing things nice and early, instead of the usual panic bids in the final three days of the window.

If this comes off then it's good news imo. Think he's the sort of signing we should have always been making, or trying to make, anyway. Obviously, we'll need a few proper 'quality' additions to the squad before the window closes, but getting solid players like this who have plenty of endeavour and who are good squad players (and can play a couple of positions; whilst still having a preffered one) is almost as important.

Fingers crossed. Blaming Dave if this goes Pete Tong.  :shifty:

Guest malandro

Malandro you do realise everton f***ed this up and if they had their way he wouldn't be leaving for free or even very cheap.

Yes, they made a verbal offer not a written one. Somehow I doubt they’d have made this kind of mistake if they rated him. However, it does show or transfer policy is to look for freebies and not the kind of players we need.

He’s unlikely to be fit for selection this year, by which time we could be in big trouble and have to throw him into a struggling side which will be great for his development. 

Here you go gaylords, here's for all the Football Gay Manager fans.

Note this is 2009 so his stats may have improved abit or shafted.

http://i36.tinypic.com/6rhn2h.jpg

Honestly man, what does it matter?

I prefer to judge signings based on their ability rather than the amount of interest they stir from other clubs - just because we didn't have to scuffle with Everton to get him doesn't mean that he's automatically shit.

Honestly man, what does it matter?

I prefer to judge signings based on their ability rather than the amount of interest they stir from other clubs - just because we didn't have to scuffle with Everton to get him doesn't mean that he's automatically shit.

well technically there was a scuffle with everton, just not the club involved

if it does happen (and its looking promising) it shows our guys in charge are paying attention for good opportunities which is an encouraging sign

It shows they are looking for players that are going cheap.

Damned if they do, damned if they dont, tbh.

No, it’s the truth.

We've got nowt to spend on players. Deal with it, you'll save yourself a summer of heartache.

I am dealing with it. It those who are getting a stiffy at signing an unproven player for nowt that need a reality check.

Who's that then?

Well you if you’re impressed with our transfer business so far. In football you get what you pay for or less. Genuine bargains are a rarity and the odds are against being able to sign a PL standard defender and PL standard midfielder for peanuts.

It’s too early to judge either player but there’s no denying they were cheap.

I said I was 'pretty impressed so far'. In that I didn't expect us to sign anybody of note, let alone a replacement for Simpson and a £5m-rated English midfielder. Don't give a fuck how we've actually got him (if we've got him!) - it's irrelevant. In face if the club gets him for naff all like they did with Jonas then that's even better.

Yes they were cheap, but that's because we have fuck all to spend. What exactly is the argument here?

Malandro they could have quite easily got a few million for him if they tied him down to a contract, why do you think they are bothering appealing if they don't give a fuck? :lol:

We haven't got him yet. Don't jinx it. :lol:

Aye, reading that back i probably got a little over excited. :blush:

People following the check list again:

1) Didn't cost any money

2) Didn't feature in the World Cup

3) Isn't a household name

4) We didn't beat Manchester United and Chelsea to the signing

= he's shit.