Dan Gosling

Dave

Can't believe some of the negative views here. I just don't get it.

What on earth are some of you expecting?

Gosling is a young, talented, (although not the be all and end all but...) English lad who was clearly valued by Everton, one of the best teams in the country to be fair. He's played at several levels for England, we've seemingly beaten a few arguably 'better' teams to his signature and it looks like there'll be no fee. I'm just fucking baffled by some of the negativity on here.

Granted, he's currently injured but we've not signed him on a 6 month contract for christ sake. Fit, he could do a job for us now, I'm confident of that, but in a year or two, provided he can stay injury free, he could be an absolutely fantastic signing. I'd probably rather have Gosling, as he is now, in the first team ahead of a fully fit Alan Smith, who is never going to be the tenacious, ball winning, pass spraying centre midfielder Fergie thought he could be, and the days of him playing as a front man are long gone, if we get rid of Smith and sign Gosling, who will be on half of Smith's wage you'd expect, it's an even better bit of business.

It fucking stuns me that some fans honestly think we can do a lot better than signing players like Gosling. Aye, we are a BIG club, in the sense of stadia, fan base and history, but we're not a TOP club anymore, we haven't been for years, I think some fans need to get used to that.

I would be delighted if we pulled this signing off, especially given the doom and gloom statement back in May/June about not having any money etc. What on earth ae some of you guys expecting?

Gosling is a young, talented, (although not the be all and end all but...) English lad who was clearly valued by Everton, one of the best teams in the country to be fair. He's played at several levels for England, we've seemingly beaten a few arguably 'better' teams to his signature and it looks like there'll be no fee. I'm just fucking baffled by some of the negativity on here.

Granted, he's currently injured but we've not signed him on a 6 month contract for christ sake. Fit, he could do a job for us now, I'm confident of that, but in a year or two, provided he can stay injury free, he could be an absolutely fantastic signing. I'd probably rather have Gosling, as he is now, in the first team ahead of a fully fit Alan Smith, who is never going to be the tenacious, ball winning, pass spraying centre midfielder Fergie thought he could be, and the days of him playing as a front man are long gone, if we get rid of Smith and sign Gosling, who will be on half of Smith's wage you'd expect, it's an even better bit of business.

It fucking stuns me that some fans honestly think we can do a lot better than signing players like Gosling. Aye, we are a BIG club, in the sense of stadia, fan base and history, but we're not a TOP club anymore, we haven't been for years, I think some fans need to get used to that.

I would be delighted if we pulled this signing off, especially given the doom and gloom statement back in May/June about not having any money etc. What on earth ae some of you guys expecting?

:thup:  :thup:

In the 'NUFC Transfer Rumours' thread, before the deal was announced there were more than a couple of negative and sceptical views on any possible deal.

EDIT: Had a quick browse in the Transfer Rumours thread and just picked out a couple of examples:

I am not keen tbh. From what I have seen I don't particularly rate him and don't think he is better than what we have.

Why would we want someone who's crocked btw?

Gosling is a young, talented, (although not the be all and end all but...) English lad who was clearly valued by Everton, one of the best teams in the country to be fair. He's played at several levels for England, we've seemingly beaten a few arguably 'better' teams to his signature and it looks like there'll be no fee. I'm just f***ing baffled by some of the negativity on here.

It f***ing stuns me that some fans honestly think we can do a lot better than signing players like Gosling. Aye, we are a BIG club, in the sense of stadia, fan base and history, but we're not a TOP club anymore, we haven't been for years, I think some fans need to get used to that.

very sensible view. Totally agreed.

In the 'NUFC Transfer Rumours' thread, before the deal was announced there were more than a couple of negative and sceptical views on any possible deal.

EDIT: Had a quick browse in the Transfer Rumours thread and just picked out a couple of examples:

Why would we want someone who's crocked btw?

ignore that Dave fella, he's just a forum troll  :dowie:

Spot on. :thup:

For the record my 'negative' post regarding his injury was meant more as justification as why I didn't believe we would be taking the risk on him. Certainly not enough risk to beat others to his signature.

Guest neesy111

excellent signing, we should be filling squad places as cheaply as possible, and saving what cash we have for a striker, as without goals we won't stay up

excellent signing, we should be filling squad places as cheaply as possible, and saving what cash we have for a striker, as without goals we won't stay up

:thup:

If rumours are to be believed that sounds like what we're doing too.

Great. Good, young player who can play more than only one position, for free. That's better business than buying players like Kluivert, Luque or Owen for Millions.

Kluivert was a free transfer.