Dan Gosling

Dave

An interesting response from Everton, but there's a faint whiff of bollocks.

I didn't realise that this so called 'gentleman's agreement' dated back three years, to when he first signed for the club. Would Everton still have felt obliged to offer him that 2 year contract extension if he hadn't made the grade in the meantime, just because there was a 'gentleman's agreement'? I don't think so.

They made a verbal offer in November, but didn't put it in writing. It's still not clear why not, because they have to put it in writing at some time.

In the meantime, it seems that Gosling made it clear he wasn't happy at not being used in CM, but Moyes told him he wouldn't use him in that role. Isn't that an indication that any so-called verbal agreement might need firming up, or the player could leave for nothing?

If they'd really wanted the player, they wouldn't have let the situation drift like that.

I didn't realise that this so called 'gentleman's agreement' dated back three years, to when he first signed for the club. Would Everton still have felt obliged to offer him that 2 year contract extension if he hadn't made the grade in the meantime, just because there was a 'gentleman's agreement'? I don't think so.

They made a verbal offer in November, but didn't put it in writing. It's still not clear why not, because they have to put it in writing at some time.

In the meantime, it seems that Gosling made it clear he wasn't happy at not being used in CM, but Moyes told him he wouldn't use him in that role. Isn't that an indication that any so-called verbal agreement might need firming up, or the player could leave for nothing?

If they'd really wanted the player, they wouldn't have let the situation drift like that.

if it was arteta cahill or jagielka you can be damn sure they'd have put it in writing

if it was arteta cahill or jagielka you can be damn sure they'd have put it in writing

They haven't put a written offer to Pienaar either. Do we want rid of him?

I think we just do business like it's still the 60's and your word is good tbh.

bit of a difference tbh, any written offer given by everton (even just a £1 payrise) would have meant a tribunal fee if it was rejected by gosling

bit of a difference tbh, any written offer given by everton (even just a £1 payrise) would have meant a tribunal fee if it was rejected by gosling

Exactly. It's a completely different situation.

Pienaar still has a year left on his contract. If he was to agree an extension now, would Everton be happy to let that go unsigned till the end of the season, knowing they had a verbal / gentleman's agreement?

When this story first broke, I had a bit of sympathy for Everton. I assumed that Gosling had agreed a contract quite recently, and that the paperwork was a formality. It turns out that all Everton had was a verbal indication from the agent last November that a proposed contract offer would be 'fine', and an understanding from 3 years ago that, if Gosling did well, they'd offer him an extension. Over the last few months, Gosling had told the manager that he wasn't happy with his position in the squad, and the manager had told him that it wouldn't change.

My bet is that Moyes knew the player wasn't happy, but probably wasn't aware of the lack of a written offer and its implications. It's the sort of cock-up through lack of communication that can happen in any large organisation.

Guest orang

Bit of clarity on the 3 year, 2 year extension.

Everton wanted to sign him for 5 years initially but premier league rules do not allow such lengthy contracts for players of that age, so it was then that the agreement was made.  In essence Gosling was committing for 5 years, and that wasn't dependent upon the players progress.

Can't complain on a free. Like many before him, he sounds promising - just hope he's not s***.

Can he run fast? If so, that's one bonus that'll be a major help for us. If not, then meh, hopefully he's talented enough for it to not be a problem, although in truth if he's one-paced or slow then I'm not really looking forward to the prospect of him partnering one of Guthrie, Barton, Nolan or Smith. <b>As Sir Bobby put it, we need legs in midfield, and central midfield is no exception (which is why he signed the likes of Dyer and Jenas no doubt).</b>

Ruud Guillet signed Dyer

They were probably holding out to see how his recovery progressed.

I missed the interview but apparently his agent was on Talksport this morning. Alan Brazil and Mickey Quinn are now inviting callers to moan because he apparently wouldnt give a straight answer to any of the questions. Sounds like he has hasnt helped things at all.  :kinnear:

One thing though - apparently he is expecting to recover from his injury quicker than originally expected. Hope thats true.

I missed the interview but apparently his agent was on Talksport this morning. Alan Brazil and Mickey Quinn are now inviting callers to moan because he apparently wouldnt give a straight answer to any of the questions. Sounds like he has hasnt helped things at all.  :kinnear:

One thing though - apparently he is expecting to recover from his injury quicker than originally expected. Hope thats true.

His agent should shut the fuck up tbh, this is becoming embarrassing.

• 1 month later...

Just to remind everyone we got this lad, does anyone think we should loan him out for the rest of the season starting january and start playing him next year?

Depending when he returns i'd be thinking about getting him out on loan for a month or so before the window reopens, not sure when the loan cut off is, think its in Nov, though not sure if we can loan out for a month or it has to be 3.

I wouldn't want to upset him by farming him out all season, its not really what he signed up for.

Just to remind everyone we got this lad, does anyone think we should loan him out for the rest of the season starting january and start playing him next year?

Depending when he returns i'd be thinking about getting him out on loan for a month or so before the window reopens, not sure when the loan cut off is, think its in Nov, though not sure if we can loan out for a month or it has to be 3.

I wouldn't want to upset him by farming him out all season, its not really what he signed up for.

This lad is not fit until January what are you talking about?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...