Dan Gosling

Dave

Gosling got into a few goal scoring opportunities against Crew. Looks like he might be able to replicate Nolan's goals without the fatness.

Nolan has  a real finishers instinct though - not sure we can say the same of Gosling.  He does look real box to box now he is fit though. The kind of midfielder that Roeder erroneously tried to make Scott parker into.

Gosling got into a few goal scoring opportunities against Crew. Looks like he might be able to replicate Nolan's goals without the fatness.

Nolan has  a real finishers instinct though - not sure we can say the same of Gosling.  He does look real box to box now he is fit though. The kind of midfielder that Roeder erroneously tried to make Scott parker into.

I wouldn't argue with that, Nolan was class in the penalty area. But Gosling might be better at the actual midfield stuff which bypassed Nolan mostly.

I wouldn't argue with that, Nolan was class in the penalty area. But Gosling might be better at the actual midfield stuff which bypassed Nolan mostly.

I agree and I think Gosling could prove  a real asset in that repspect

Assuming Tiote and Cabaye are nailed on to start, we could do with someone who's really going to make forward runs into the box. I get the impression that Cabaye is more of a playmaker.

Tiote-Cabaye-Gosling could be a very good threesome in a 4-3-3.

Looks like he's worked really hard on his fitness and physique while he's been away, and while it was only Columbus it seemed to be a very impressive performance after only returning recently. Could be a breath of fresh air in terms of offering genuine competition (rather than backup) to Tioté and Cabaye who I assume are our first choice midfield.

Assuming Tiote and Cabaye are nailed on to start, we could do with someone who's really going to make forward runs into the box. I get the impression that Cabaye is more of a playmaker.

Tiote-Cabaye-Gosling could be a very good threesome in a 4-3-3.

You're right, that midfield trio would have a bit of everything, although I think Barton would start ahead of Gosling to begin with. The Gosling goals aspect would give us food for thought though.

Looks like he's worked really hard on his fitness and physique while he's been away, and while it was only Columbus it seemed to be a very impressive performance after only returning recently. Could be a breath of fresh air in terms of offering genuine competition (rather than backup) to Tioté and Cabaye who I assume are our first choice midfield.

Glad he isn't the seemingly forgotten man he once was that not long ago :)

That's a really strong spine for us. 4 potentially top class players with bags of ability there. It's a shame for Gosling that he's fit now, when the chances of him starting aren't looking so good, when we've had poorer midfields since he joined. He might have had a good preseason but there's technically better footballers playing ahead of him.

Can see him being a utility man for us this season though and he'll get plenty of time off the bench. Seems a likeable lad as well.

Gosling will get pleny of games I reckon. Especially when Tiote goes to the ACN. Really happy he has come back so well, I think he was a bit of a forgotten man which is understandable but him looking like he will be putting real pressure for places is a real positive.

Our midfield is really looking quite solid with

LM - Jonas, Marveux

CM - Tiote, Cabaye, Gosling, Guthrie, Abeid

RM - Barton

Obviously we could do with cover for Barton but if he sign another forward I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't get anyone in as we will have enough forwards to switch to a 4-3-3 if required or even someone like Ben Arfa can drop back to a wing position.

Deliberately left out Ferguson as it looks like he is more likely to cover left back given the options ahead of him but he could also move forward if required.

Gosling will get pleny of games I reckon. Especially when Tiote goes to the ACN. Really happy he has come back so well, I think he was a bit of a forgotten man which is understandable but him looking like he will be putting real pressure for places is a real positive.

Our midfield is really looking quite solid with

LM - Jonas, Marveux

CM - Tiote, Cabaye, Gosling, Guthrie, Abeid

RM - Barton

Obviously we could do with cover for Barton but if he sign another forward I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't get anyone in as we will have enough forwards to switch to a 4-3-3 if required or even someone like Ben Arfa can drop back to a wing position.

Deliberately left out Ferguson as it looks like he is more likely to cover left back given the options ahead of him but he could also move forward if required.

I think Gosling will be in competition for 3 midield spots tbh. He played wide left and right for Everton and did a job, his best position is as a box-to-box central midfielder though. He's like the ultimate utility midfielder, he'll get plenty of pitch time.