Dan Gosling

Dave

Gosling was doing quite well for the reserves in an advanced position behind the strikers if I remember correctly? No reason why we shouldn't have Cabaye sitting in front of the back four, with Gosling providing Benny with support from CM.

I suspect we'll play a 4-4-2 this weekend, with HBA on the bench...

What Nate said. Guthrie was suprisingly brilliant but he and Cabaye were very similar so despite working well, at times there wasn't enough variation from the centre of the park.

If Gosling plays to his potential it could be a good pairing, Cabaye doing all the fancy creative stuff with Gosling causing the defence problems, being another option in & around the box and hopefully getting the odd goal.

Yep.  At times in the Chelsea game, I was struggling to tell who was who.  Not a slight on Guthrie, because his passing was as good, if not better than Cabaye's, so couldn't differentiate (sp), just a shame they were both so predictable.

Sit deep, lay it off short, barely move, receive the ball back, lay it off short etc.  Or, pick the ball up in a bit of space in their half, delightful diagonal ball out to one of the wingers, winger losses it.  Repeat to infinity.

Gosling didn't have many touches of the ball in the Everton game, but he grafted his arse off and broke forward a few times.  Hopefully does it against Norwich and nets  O0

I want to the reserve game vs Norwich, Santons debut game but Gosling ran the match he was brilliant. He has though lost that bulk he had in pre season where he looked like a tank, not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

I want to the reserve game vs Norwich, Santons debut game but Gosling ran the match he was brilliant. He has though lost that bulk he had in pre season where he looked like a tank, not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

A good thing. He was a good stone and a half overweight.

What Nate said. Guthrie was suprisingly brilliant but he and Cabaye were very similar so despite working well, at times there wasn't enough variation from the centre of the park.

If Gosling plays to his potential it could be a good pairing, Cabaye doing all the fancy creative stuff with Gosling causing the defence problems, being another option in & around the box and hopefully getting the odd goal.

Yep.  At times in the Chelsea game, I was struggling to tell who was who.  Not a slight on Guthrie, because his passing was as good, if not better than Cabaye's, so couldn't differentiate (sp), just a shame they were both so predictable.

Sit deep, lay it off short, barely move, receive the ball back, lay it off short etc.  Or, pick the ball up in a bit of space in their half, delightful diagonal ball out to one of the wingers, winger losses it.  Repeat to infinity.

Gosling didn't have many touches of the ball in the Everton game, but he grafted his arse off and broke forward a few times.  Hopefully does it against Norwich and nets  O0

You should have called me an ignorant cunt for calling you Nate, I would have deserved it.

In the Carling Cup game I saw Gosling really struggled, although it was probably tough coming back on a small pitch against a lower division team up for it. In theory him and Cabaye should be a good fit. I'll be interested to see what Gosling is like when he's on the ball though. Guthrie has been pretty good at keeping retention since he's been back in the side, I'm not convinced yet about Gosling on that one.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Not sure what kind of role suits Gosling yet. I thought he did quite a good job in the circumstances at Everton, covered a fair bit of ground and closed out possession. Didn't show for the ball in the way Cabaye or Guthrie do, but I reckon he could put in a decent defensive shift. Then again we've seen some ability to get forward in his snippets with us.

You can tell he's English. He's got the same disease as Gerrard/Nolan and the rest, any midfield with him is going to be overrun unless you play 4-5-1 and have two players to do his tackling and passing.