The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

Pretty sure Villarreal see their CL spot as good as sewn up and are going all in in the EL. Despite their exploits this decade, they haven't had a piece of silverware to show for it (Sevilla, for example, has bagged a few trophies during their own 2000s bloom)

Pretty sure Villarreal see their CL spot as good as sewn up and are going all in in the EL. Despite their exploits this decade, they haven't had a piece of silverware to show for it (Sevilla, for example, has bagged a few trophies during their own 2000s bloom)

Would they not value European football over trophies though? Especially given the comparative lack of value attached to the Copa Del Rey?

Guest neesy111

Didn't realise the gap was 9 points, thought it was only 3-4 points.

Would they not value European football over trophies though? Especially given the comparative lack of value attached to the Copa Del Rey?

I don't think they are risking anything, they have a healthy gap and - what's more important - no one in the chasing pack has shown signs of being able to put together the kind of form to really challenge them.  As long as they don't truly collapse they will be fine.

And trophies are important imho, in ten years they might be a lower midtable team, but the trophies would still be in the cabinet.

I don't think they are risking anything, they have a healthy gap and - what's more important - no one in the chasing pack has shown signs of being able to put together the kind of form to really challenge them.  As long as they don't truly collapse they will be fine.

And trophies are important imho, in ten years they might be a lower midtable team, but the trophies would still be in the cabinet.

Wasn't disagreeing with that. I guess in a way Europa League is there only chance of winning anything in the near future with the dominance of the Clasisico's in Spain at the moment.

If you get a laugh for that after my puns, joeyt, I'll be very annoyed. :angry:

Will you accuse me of fowl play?

Flash a bit of breast and thigh'll let you off. Hen will you stop?

Now you're just winging it. You plucked those ones out of thin air.

I like the cut of your giblets.

I like the cut of your giblets.

That's nice, but I'm too busy watching Star Peck. I like Jean Luc PICARRRRd.

I won't egg you on anymore.

Wasn't disagreeing with that. I guess in a way Europa League is there only chance of winning anything in the near future with the dominance of the Clasisico's in Spain at the moment.

They really "shouldn't" be where they are to begin with. The town of Villarreal itself isn't big enough to fill up the Vicente Calderón or Mestalla.

They really "shouldn't" be where they are to begin with. The town of Villarreal itself isn't big enough to fill up the Vicente Calderón or Mestalla.

Crazy ain't it but I hope they're not a flash in the pan. They've been brilliant to watch over the last few years. Be royally fucked off if I was a Valencia fan though and how they usurped Valencia of recent times in terms of stability and progression despite the relative size of the two and the locality.

They have been delivering the goods for the most part of this decade already. The danger is that they have had to put a stop to their spending in the past two seasons and are entirely dependent on CL football to keep the submarine going without sales.

Still, it wasn't that long ago that I watched Villarreal play at the turf of the local Segunda B team I support. Madness.

Hugo was always a quality player - what a left foot, man, christ. Never dynamic enough to play LW or physical enough to play CM, but in a 4-3-3 or a packed midfield the lad would have eventually been a real quality PL player. Another victim of Souness, sadly.

Imagine a central midfield triangle of

Tiote Viana

Ben Arfa

Viana spraying passes from a deep lying role, Ben Arfa creating havoc with his direct runs off a target man, and Tiote doing the rest.  :fwap:

Remember him running the show against Sweden at Ullevi, he was man motm by miles, what a player he could have become in the right circumstances, his vision and passing was something out of this world at times.