The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

Oh and apparently Wenger didn't shake Redknapp's hand at the end of the game.

He did :S I saw it?

How did you see it? i presume you wasn't watching it on Sky sports then.

I know it's difficult to remember some times but you have to watch TV with your eyes open.

It is excessive, because you look at the material he has had to use and the money he has spent and its all an exaggeration really. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve credit, after all he's a two time Champions League winner and like you said he's won at least a trophy every season since 2003.

But his squad is probably the deepest in the world. And it has nothing to do with his methods, Im a fan of Mourinho no doubt, but he gets so much praise its like he's the best manager of all times.

His team won today, but could've lost, its not like he has magical powers, and he's not the only reason to why they won.

:thup:

I agree with this. Although managing a club with lots of good players isn't really as easy as it's made out to be, a team still has to be moulded with lots of big egos and he does it every time.

I'd actually love to see Mourinho go to a smaller club with more limited personnel and budget. He's already proven he can do it all with the pressure of a big club, should challenge himself.

Like say... challenging himself to win the UEFA Cup and Champions League with Porto?

It was only a couple of years ago Madrid were beating Barcelona 4-1 and winning the league.

Even last year Pellegrini had the title race go right to the wire.

Madrid fans won't be happy with just Copa Del Rey sucess.  If they go out of the CL, Mourinho will go down as a failure.  Trailing Barcelona by 8 points is unacceptable.

He'll be gone if they don't win the CL imo. Managers playing more attractive football have been sacked after winning more.

Yes, but the circumstances are completely different.

And you know... they don't play like that every week?

I still can't see him lasting if he comes out this season with just a Copa del Rey trophy.

I think he'll stay despite there past shenanigans with Del Bosque and Capello.

Same. Theres a desperation about their appointment of Mourinho and it seems like the penny has finally dropped with Perez. He knows that if the best manager in the world can't be successful there, then maybe the club is the problem. This time, Mourinho is the galactico.

It is excessive, because you look at the material he has had to use and the money he has spent and its all an exaggeration really. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve credit, after all he's a two time Champions League winner and like you said he's won at least a trophy every season since 2003.

But his squad is probably the deepest in the world. And it has nothing to do with his methods, Im a fan of Mourinho no doubt, but he gets so much praise its like he's the best manager of all times.

His team won today, but could've lost, its not like he has magical powers, and he's not the only reason to why they won.

:thup:

I agree with this. Although managing a club with lots of good players isn't really as easy as it's made out to be, a team still has to be moulded with lots of big egos and he does it every time.

I'd actually love to see Mourinho go to a smaller club with more limited personnel and budget. He's already proven he can do it all with the pressure of a big club, should challenge himself.

Like say... challenging himself to win the UEFA Cup and Champions League with Porto?

No.

His Porto squad was full of quality players, also look at what teams he played in the UEFA Cup. Not like they were impossible teams to beat.

I mean a team consisting of half the portuguese national side which reached the final of the Euro Cup isnt exactly bad. Add to that Benni McCarthy, Derlei and Carlos Alberto who were very good players at the time its not like he had a shit team.

Also, the Porto team that won the Champions League beat Manchester United, but after that most of the games were clubs of the same reputation as them.

It was a weird season with Monaco in the final.

Porto are hardly a small team, look at them now, they've dropped 4 points all season and are storming the Uefa Cup.

It was far from a miraculous achievement what Mourinho did there.  Still fucking good, though!

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/112747781.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892140FEB0FF7845C57D03AC14795084D5A8FFBE976370323D6BF8E2B727DC28DA64E30A760B0D811297

But can they throw him as high as this?

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00816/Guardiola_682x400_816643a.jpg

:smug:

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/112747781.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892140FEB0FF7845C57D03AC14795084D5A8FFBE976370323D6BF8E2B727DC28DA64E30A760B0D811297

But can they throw him as high as this?

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xr/112741291.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=3&d=77BFBA49EF87892140FEB0FF7845C57DD7F29906CFEBB334FFBE976370323D6BD22F9A312FC38D334C1BFF51A650EDCC

:(

Will find out on May 28th.  Jose :smug:

Nobody's dismissing his achievements, he's a world class manager. His achievements at Inter and Porto in particular are outstanding.

I'd just like to see him try with a weaker club (I don't class Porto as a weak club, they're a VERY well run club who had some spectacular players at the time), but I think his own arrogance would prevent it.

Winning the Champions League with Inter was a great achievement, but they were winning Serie A year after year before he came along so again, nothing out of the ordinary re: domestic success.

Not even getting to a Champions League final with Chelsea has to go down as a failure though.

Maybe Messi should move to Port Vale and prove himself?

:lol:

It's not that though, you miss the point. He's a world class manager and one of the best around. But he's not god like some people make him out to be. It's not like he beat Barcelona with Alan Smith and James Perch.

There are other factors bar him that has contributed to his success. Money, deep squads and so on.

People are all hysteric he beat Barcelona with a team consiting of CRonaldo, Özil, Di Maria etc.

His Porto squad was full of quality players, also look at what teams he played in the UEFA Cup. Not like they were impossible teams to beat.

I mean a team consisting of half the portuguese national side which reached the final of the Euro Cup isnt exactly bad. Add to that Benni McCarthy, Derlei and Carlos Alberto who were very good players at the time its not like he had a shit team.

Also, the Porto team that won the Champions League beat Manchester United, but after that most of the games were clubs of the same reputation as them.

It was a weird season with Monaco in the final.

That Porto team was a team he built, and it only became half the Portuguese national side when he came along.

Deco was an average player until Mourinho came onto the scene.  (7 league goals in 3 seasons before scoring 13 in Jose's first season alone),  Ferreira, Derlei, Mendes and Valente were all signed from mid table Portuguese clubs, Carvalho was third choice and had spent the past two seasons on loan (and had only made a a single league game for Porto) and his Captain Costa had to be recalled from loan.  Alberto, Maniche and McCarthy were all signed by him as well.

All those players were no names or names only in Portugal.