The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

In addition to neil questions to VI, how come theres generally very few away fans at Spanish games? Is it purely to do with the distance involved? In england its a massive part of the whole football experience for me

Probably because there's absolutely no competition involved in games like this.

I'm by no means saying Barcelona don't play great football etc or that it's their fault but it's been f***ing boring for some time now IMO how they just hammer everyone. A big part of what makes sport great is the competition, the feeling that an opponent is worthy, provides a genuine test and the outcome is unpredictable. Just doesn't happen with this team. Again, I'm not saying they're not brilliant at what they do - they clearly are - I just find it a bit boring to watch.

Tin hat on.

If only Hercules and Mallorca thought that just a few months ago.

In addition to neil questions to VI, how come theres generally very few away fans at Spanish games? Is it purely to do with the distance involved? In england its a massive part of the whole football experience for me

I'm by no means saying Barcelona don't play great football etc or that it's their fault but it's been fucking boring for some time now IMO how they just hammer everyone. A big part of what makes sport great is the competition, the feeling that an opponent is worthy, provides a genuine test and the outcome is unpredictable. Just doesn't happen with this team. Again, I'm not saying they're not brilliant at what they do - they clearly are - I just find it a bit boring to watch.

Tin hat on.

I'm the same. Like watching a training match. Not a fan of watching Arsenal either.

I wonder when the media will stop making it a big deal when Liverpool lose now. I mean it's a common thing and they aren't really a decent side anymore.

Were referred to as one of the 'big 4' during Skys transfer report today...:facepalm:

One of the Sky 6, consisting of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, and them.

The only top 6 they will get into this year.

Sky 7 including us tbh. NUFC are televised more than most.

Guest neesy111

I'm by no means saying Barcelona don't play great football etc or that it's their fault but it's been f***ing boring for some time now IMO how they just hammer everyone. A big part of what makes sport great is the competition, the feeling that an opponent is worthy, provides a genuine test and the outcome is unpredictable. Just doesn't happen with this team. Again, I'm not saying they're not brilliant at what they do - they clearly are - I just find it a bit boring to watch.

Tin hat on.

I was at that Mallorca game, 1st 35 mins was the most one-sided game I've seen in front of my own eyes.

I wonder when the media will stop making it a big deal when Liverpool lose now. I mean it's a common thing and they aren't really a decent side anymore.

Were referred to as one of the 'big 4' during Skys transfer report today...:facepalm:

One of the Sky 6, consisting of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, and them.

The only top 6 they will get into this year.

Sky 7 including us tbh. NUFC are televised more than most.

but they do that to take the piss out of us

Tin hat on.

I was at that Mallorca game, 1st 35 mins was the most one-sided game I've seen in front of my own eyes.

Finished 1-1 though.

The more I see of Holloway and Blackpool, the more I want to see them stay up.

Holloway's just a decent bloke who speaks sense (sometimes), and Blackpool are a team of very average players who work their socks off. 

Exactly what the Premier League needs.

I have to disagree.

Holloway was amusing at first, but has become more and more of a prick. His rant about resigning if he got fined for fielding a weakened side was pathetic, his strop about 'Premier League you're having a laugh' was even worse, and his sucking of Liverpool's cock all this week in the run up to tonight's game was really cringemaking

Sorry, but I think he's a cock end who has started to believe his own publicity.

*folds arms*

Tin hat on.

re the away fans, i might be wrong but i'm sure i heard this years ago when we played Bilbao and Barca,  the basques brought a decent crowd over but barca hardly brought anyone and it was said that it was just the spanish football culture that fans don't go to away games unlike this country where fans travel in 1000's.  Watching games like the madrid derby and barca v espanyol when away fans don't even need to travel there doesn't seem to be away fans.  Only game i've seen huge away followings is the seville derby.

Tin hat on.

Finished 1-1 though.

So your argument against the one-sided nature of Barcelona's games is that a few months ago someone drew 1-1 against them? Good luck with that.

I'm with Dave a bit here. Not that I don't love watching them play, but it's a different kind of entertainment. I was more engaged in the Blackpool Liverpool game today, for example.

Tin hat on.

Finished 1-1 though.

So your argument against the one-sided nature of Barcelona's games is that a few months ago someone drew 1-1 against them? Good luck with that.

I'm with Dave a bit here. Not that I don't love watching them play, but it's a different kind of entertainment. I was more engaged in the Blackpool Liverpool game today, for example.

No, Hercules and Mallorca have already taken points from them this season at Camp Nou and we're only just past halfway.

Teams can take points from them, Barca don't win every game, they've never won every game, and teams will catch up eventually, of course they will. Such a pathetic attitude to say that there's no competition involved in these games.

Guest neesy111

Barca have lost 2 league games in the last 2 years now which is an astonishing stat.  Won every game away this season in the league.  You can get a result against them but you need a team that plays 100% to their ability and little bit of luck.  Bilbao in the last round of the Copa Del Ray showed how it was done against them.

Tin hat on.

re the away fans, i might be wrong but i'm sure i heard this years ago when we played Bilbao and Barca,  the basques brought a decent crowd over but barca hardly brought anyone and it was said that it was just the spanish football culture that fans don't go to away games unlike this country where fans travel in 1000's.  Watching games like the madrid derby and barca v espanyol when away fans don't even need to travel there doesn't seem to be away fans.  Only game i've seen huge away followings is the seville derby.

Pretty much, there is just no culture of it. Much like say we don't have bands particularly here.

Fucking Blackpool  :angry: Was really banking on them to get relegated but thats them totally safe now. Also, if Liverpool picked up some form they might have helped stop Sunderland finish in the Top 7.....so that is probably over too. With Blackpool staying up now, this relegation scrap is VERY interesting.

Fucking Blackpool  :angry: Was really banking on them to get relegated but thats them totally safe now. Also, if Liverpool picked up some form they might have helped stop Sunderland finish in the Top 7.....so that is probably over too. With Blackpool staying up now, this relegation scrap is VERY interesting.

If they're safe, we're safe as we have the same points, get in.

Yes, there's just no culture of away following in Spain. Lots of the away fans you see at Camp Nou are actually Barcelona residents hailing from the region of the visiting team (Asturians, Andalusians and Galicians have big communities here). There are exceptions, some Andalusian teams do carry big crowds, particularly to regional derbies, same with Sporting. Usually fans only travel for big games or nearby places (you can suck up 8+ hours easily travelling from Andalusia to Barcelona by train, thanks to our Madrid-centric rail system :thup:). Distances are also larger than in England, where you have most clubs nested in or around the Midlands.

One of the reasons we don't carry an away following to the Barcelona derby is that Espanyol has forbidden the sale of tickets to away fans. So bitter :lol:

Yes, there's just no culture of away following in Spain. Lots of the away fans you see at Camp Nou are actually Barcelona residents hailing from the region of the visiting team (Asturians, Andalusians and Galicians have big communities here). There are exceptions, some Andalusian teams do carry big crowds, particularly to regional derbies, same with Sporting. Usually fans only travel for big games or nearby places (you can suck up 8+ hours easily travelling from Andalusia to Barcelona by train, thanks to our Madrid-centric rail system :thup:).

One of the reasons we don't carry an away following to the Barcelona derby is that Espanyol has forbidden the sale of tickets to away fans. So bitter :lol:

Do Boixos Nois have any kind of impact at away games?

A couple for VI, or indeed anyone else:

Is there anything behind the seemingly deeper deployment of Messi recently? I don't know if it's just me or but I've noticed he's playing from a lot deeper in recent games.

Also, I've noticed he doesn't get subbed off much, if at all. Barca, so often, have the game wrapped up at the 60-70 minute mark and I would've thought Pep would want to, more often, keep Messi in cotton wool. Is he just particularly fit? Is it frowned upon to sub off players early in Spain?

On a side note, Betis have actually been pretty decent here. Looks likely we'll see more of Betis-Sevilla next year. :thup:

Also just noticed the Ruiz de Lopera holds over 50,000 - never knew it was that big.

I suppose Pep fielded a full-strength team in order to kill the tie right here, right now, and do more significant resting when we travel to Sevilla, which will be close to the Arsenal game.

Messi's been playing deeper this season, as a false #9. I sort of thing that's been his plan all along, when Pep took over Messi was a winger, and last season he started playing him as a striker and now with Villa/Pedro cutting in he can pull back and run play from the hole. This was actually a staple of Cruyff's Barça when Guardiola played in it, Laudrup was deployed as theoretical centreforward but was actually a trequartista with Stoichkov/Begiristain cutting in from the wing and providing the goals. I feel like I'm 12 when I see this again :smitten:

Messi is also never subbed off indeed. It's not frowned upon or anything but Pep notoriously never uses subs to rest players. He only uses them to blood new players on a closed game, to run down the clock on a tight one, or tactically, and there's hardly ever a tactical reason to take Lionel Messi off a football pitch.

Betis' following is huge. They are a pretty big team. With the new ownership the whole club seems more focused and they are walking the second division so looking forward seeing them up here again. Very funny fans, great songs.

Yes, there's just no culture of away following in Spain. Lots of the away fans you see at Camp Nou are actually Barcelona residents hailing from the region of the visiting team (Asturians, Andalusians and Galicians have big communities here). There are exceptions, some Andalusian teams do carry big crowds, particularly to regional derbies, same with Sporting. Usually fans only travel for big games or nearby places (you can suck up 8+ hours easily travelling from Andalusia to Barcelona by train, thanks to our Madrid-centric rail system :thup:).

Do Boixos Nois have any kind of impact at away games?

No. The profile of a Spanish away fan is rather middle-class (so they can afford it), our hooligans come mostly from the working class. Same with most other Spanish clubs, hooligan firms don't travel.