Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

he'll start to come into things more as the season progresses, as others have said, we wont play well with this 11 all season. especially in january when Ba's not here. We'll need him even more next year with all the Europa League fixtures  :snod:

Listen, I was just sticking up for this HTT fella who seems to talk a bit of sense to me.

If Ben Arfa hasn't broken the first 11 by January it's very possible that he won't be a happy chappy.

As he played up to get here, why is it so bizarre that he might do the same to move on?

Seemed a very straightforward point to me???

By the way I'm not writing Ben Arfa off, I just get a hunch feeling that he like many others over the years, despite being talented and more than good enough to not only feature regularly but actually shine too, will somehow just not do it be it through injury or multiple injuries, loss of form or the team dynamic changing while the player in question is out of the team to the point where it can function brilliantly without such a talent and to some extent even function better without that player.

Of course I'd love to see him in our team playing to the potential he has because he's an exciting player who can open up a defence, score, create goals and generally get fans off their seats. I think his time if you like was last season though and not this one. It will take something significant for Ben Arfa to now get into this side and stay there.

As for the comment about going out on loan or kicking up a fuss being OTT, perhaps so but he does need games and if we cannot guarantee him a start every week we could well look to loan him out. Likewise if he's still stuck on the bench in Jan he may well kick up a fuss. He did so at Marseille, that's why we got him in the first place. Its hardly OTT to consider this could happen nor the idea of sending him out on loan.

Mother of Fuck. What the hell is a matter with you?

:lol:

Listen, I was just sticking up for this HTT fella who seems to talk a bit of sense to me.

If Ben Arfa hasn't broken the first 11 by January it's very possible that he won't be a happy chappy.

As he played up to get here, why is it so bizarre that he might do the same to move on?

Yes but you were the one who was slagging Jonas just a few weeks ago right? Maybe you should pay a bit more attention to those who try and look a bit beyond the obvious. That Cajun lad, he'd be a good one to follow, he's got a few right after criminally not jumping in with both feet first.

Listen man, we are 10 games into the season with a hard winter, ACN and the FA cup to come. We need a squad! Do you not think HBA, Marvaeux and Santon will all realise that they cant expect to walk straight into the team at the moment?

You are acting as if our unbeaten run will last all season. It wont. In the near future we are going to have some tough games and he and the others will get their chance. Not to mention injuries! Its a long old season. Jesus, loaning him out. People are fucked up.

Listen man, we are 10 games into the season with a hard winter, ACN and the FA cup to come. We need a squad! Do you not think HBA, Marvaeux and Santon will all realise that they cant expect to walk straight into the team at the moment?

You are acting as if our unbeaten run will last all season. It wont. In the near future we are going to have some tough games and he and the others will get their chance. Not to mention injuries! Its a long old season. Jesus, loaning him out. People are fucked up.

Totally missing the point that we are talking about Ben Arfas temperament and what HE may choose to do.

I and I'm sure HTT would love him to be part of the squad for years to come.

You are acting as if our unbeaten run will last all season. It wont. In the near future we are going to have some tough games and he and the others will get their chance. Not to mention injuries! Its a long old season. Jesus, loaning him out. People are f***ed up.

Totally missing the point that we are talking about Ben Arfas temperament and what HE may choose to do.

But my point being, he is going to get games sooner rather than later as I explained - Injuries, ACN, FA Cup, another 3/4 of a season to go. So why would choose to go anywhere else?

As I've said previously I get the feeling from Pardew's comments he's told the club he's got no interest in playing on the wing and signed with the understanding he will play through the middle, the problems he's got is that Ba and Best are looking  like a very good partnership and if partnered with Ba we won't have anyone to hold the ball up.

It's only going to get worse for him if we sign Maiga in January so ideally he should scrap the number 10 idea and aim to slot in on the right.

As I've said previously I get the feeling from Pardew's comments he's told the club he's got no interest in playing on the wing and signed with the understanding he will play through the middle, the problems he's got is that Ba and Best are looking  like a very good partnership and if partnered with Ba we won't have anyone to hold the ball up.

It's only going to get worse for him if we sign Maiga in January so ideally he should scrap the number 10 idea and aim to slot in on the right.

The best we have seen from him is when he has cut in from the left of been further left or right of the centre. I think Pards should think about changing his mind too and not restrict him to the 'number 10' role. I think he will find form much easier coming in on the left or right.

You are acting as if our unbeaten run will last all season. It wont. In the near future we are going to have some tough games and he and the others will get their chance. Not to mention injuries! Its a long old season. Jesus, loaning him out. People are f***ed up.

But my point being, he is going to get games sooner rather than later as I explained - Injuries, ACN, FA Cup, another 3/4 of a season to go. So why would choose to go anywhere else?

I guess the possible scenario being aired is that we don't have injuries before Christmas and he throws his toys out of the pram ( previous).

What I have picked up from reading some of the French posters on here is that it's make or break time for HBA with regard to his own career and his national career.

I would guess this will all be eating away at him as he sits out games.

I'm sure we will al be patient but more importantly will he.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't get all the fuss. I'm pointing out a few possibilities or rather a few issues that could or could not develop and all hell breaks loose. FFS! The same things could be said of numerous NUFC players but its Ben Arfa, our Messi or something.

Back to my original point, for me, I can see things developing in ways that will result in Ben Arfa not becoming a huge hit for NUFC in the way it looked like it was going to be so after Goodison. Of course I hope my feeling or hunch doesn't turn out to be right and that he goes onto becoming a huge star for us.

Personally, in an ideal world, he'd be in my own XI and I'd build a team around him. I think we are several type of players short for that just now though so all things considered given the team we have at the moment and how well everyone is doing, I think he's limited to the bench and could remain so for a long while yet. What happens if he does remain a bench player who knows...

Yup

Has Chris created another account to go along with HTT, knightrider, etc? Because it would explain a lot...

Come on people, U try playing 500 odd minutes off football in 18 odd months as see how well you perform, his pre-season we missed up when he was just getting back into the swing of things and now he's coming back again. give him a F*****g chance. Pardew has done a good job with the rest of the team so far and im sure he'll get it right with him aswell, in the right game at the right time, Stoke most definately wasn't that.

I cant see him throwing his toys out of the pram, he seems all smiles in training from what nufc show us and cabaye ran to him afer his goal against blackburn, plus in an earlier game there was pure delight on his face when we scored. we're winning games and he'll understand a not match fit player cant walk into a side 3rd in the prem after 10 games of the season.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Yup

No.

I'm struggling to see peoples reason for debate here.

From what i've read (which isn't everything), no-one has said he is s*** or even average for that matter. I think we all accept he is a talented footballer. All people are saying is that he needs to get his head up and play it simple a bit more often, yet the majority jump to his defence about not being sharp enough. Whilst I understand that this is a reason for lack of fitness, this isn't a reason that effects the brain. To look up and notice your team mates and/or the opposition is not something that is effected by a broken leg.

Also, it's just constructive criticism - yet people make it out that it's like Ben Arfa is above any form of criticism because of his talent. Well I can only remember one "superb" thing he's done for us so far and that was his goal vs Everton. He has to prove himself in Black and White for me to class him as a fan favourite, not just our world class injured man.

Because he's some what of a favourite people make countless excuses - which I could understand for someone like Shearer towards his end here, but for Hatem, he has more to do and I actually really think he will tonight.

Very rarely do you score goals by doing the simple things, there's no set formula to scoring goals, In actual fact theres no difference between someone trying to play a risky ball through the defence and someone trying to take on the fullbacks on a regualr basis, they both can come up with the same results yet one way of doings things Is frowned upon more than the other.

I'd personally encourage Ben arfa to dribble as much as possible in the final 3rd, the more a player has the ball the quicker the oppossition loses shape trying to regain possession, its these finer details which win matches. I don't think ill ever have a problem with HBA losing possession in the final 3rd because i know what he's actually capable of. 

Said it before but lionel Messi loses the ball more than any other player in the barcelona team, its the nature of the beast.

Arsenal have won trophies by doing the simple things exceedingly well, and Barcelona are arguably the greatest team the world has ever seen because they do the simple things well. Occasionally, moments of brilliance win games, but these are usually few and far between in my opinion. We've scored goals and won games this season from doing the simple things right. Whilst I appreciate that goals win games, keeping possession, shape and clean sheets provides the foundation to win games, by at least securing a draw. When Ben Arfa, or anyone for that matter, loses the ball in key areas this effects our ability to keep clean sheets, possession and shape, and until he gets his head up and does the basics right he is removing the chance for us to be in the final third and ultimately for him to get the time and space in the right place to do what he does best and commit defenders.

I wholeheartedly agree that a stupid pass, or dicking around with the ball in defence is just as much, if not more dangerous, but how often have we conceded due to an error of this nature this season?

I agree that Ben Arfa should be encouraged to run with the ball in the final third, but Kieron Dyer could do that, and Hatem has more talent in his little finger than Dyer had altogether. Therefore he should be pushed to make the right decisions and do the right things at the right time, as opposed to a headless chicken with lots of pace. a leg break may change the way you need to play, but not the basics of being a professional footballer.

For the record I think he'll have a blinder vs Everton, regardless of the above. He's due one.

It's a bit early to be writing him off. Ba will be off to the African Nations and so will Maiga if we sign him, which will give Ben Arfa a good run of games to impress. Bear in mind there is a lot of fixture congestion around christmas and new year which forces teams to rotate. Best has done well but I don't fancy him to score a bucketload this season. If Ba's goals dry up the spotlight will be on Best to contribute either by giving him better service or banging them in himself.

In a team like ours which is winning games based on discipline and workrate among other factors, Best will give you more workrate and always look to play the more simple ball than a player like Ben Arfa who has more ability but will likely lose the ball more often trying to create chances. In the current setup Best is in the team on merit but if our goals dry up and teams figure out how to keep us from scoring there'll be strong calls to bring Ben Arfa in. It's a matter of time before we hit such a spell.

I don't think it'll be too long before he gets his chance. My main worry is it looks like he has lost a yard of pace and perhaps some confidence too. He needs the games but with some tough fixtures coming up I think Pardew will go for Best's workrate and so far reliable partnership with Ba over Ben Arfa. Let's hope he takes his chance when he gets it because when both are on form we know who we'd rather have in the team.

For the record, Ben Arfa doesn't have a strong track record of scoring goals, thererefore a place in the team for him really depends on how well he links up with Ba. I've said before that as a partnership I just don't see that working.

Either he takes Obertan's place or he doesn't start.

A lot of people on here seem to think that we only need 11 players and that we have to play that same 11 every week. Has anyone thought that one of our strikers may get injured or lose form. Also has anyone considered that ba and best are playing well because we have the likes of Ben arfa waiting to take their place if they lose form. I can't believe it has gone from everyone saying we should be building the team around him to the majority saying the only spot left up for grabs is on the right wing.

For the record, Ben Arfa doesn't have a strong track record of scoring goals, thererefore a place in the team for him really depends on how well he links up with Ba. I've said before that as a partnership I just don't see that working.

Either he takes Obertan's place or he doesn't start.

Cheers Pards, nice to get that cleared up.