Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Load of wank if you ask me.he's shown signs of his former self,it's not even like he's been a shadow.I think pardew sees him only as second striker or in the hole.wise up man,he's a versatile player who can affect the game from a number of positions.as long as he's on the ball he can/will affect the game.think pard is just trying to dodge bullets there

My theory on the lack of Ben Arfa is that we're going to need him in January when Ba & Tiote go off to the African Nations. As has been pointed out, we've had most of our success this season in a regular 4-4-2, and Ben Arfa's injury pre-season was the catalyst to change to this. With Ba establishing himself as the main striker, it's apparent that Ben Arfa off Ba hasn't worked that well, one or two decent moments at City aside. What we've also seen is that Pardew has played Ben Arfa off Shola on a few occasions, and also with Best for half an hour against Blackburn when the game was up. These have brought Ben Arfa's more effective performances arguably, and so once whilst Pardew will doubtless look to give him some minutes here and there, he's being cautious not to wreck him after so long out when he will be needed in January - as if Ben Arfa gets crocked now, we'll be looking at Shola & Best in January, or Lovenkrands, and nobody wants that. Whereas Ben Arfa off a target man could be very useful, and hopefully more effective than Ben Arfa off Ba, who likes to drop off a bit.

Guest mimifrench

Your coach is the strangest I've ever seen...

He keep saying in press conference that Ben arfa is a special player, that he'll bring that "extra" thing you need and even against the "weakest" teams in the league he didn't bring Ben arfa in the team, even at least for 10 minutes...

I mean I know I'm not at the training ground so can't see if Ben arfa works hard enough to get his place in the first XI, but the thing is I really don't understand why Pardew did make him play against the biggest teams (Man U, City and Chelsea) and after nothing...

Of course, if Ben arfa doesn't work hard enough in training it's obviously a good reason to put him on the bench, but giving him at least 10 minutes to help your team can't be a bad idea, I think.  :undecided:

One more thing is that it seems Ben arfa isn't treated (the same way) as the other players. I mean, some of your players didn't play well in the past and they weren't put stright away on the bench (Obertan, Best..).

And I really don't believe the whole story of "HBA isn't still fit, he came back after a terrible injury, etc." He did play (and quitly well) against the best teams in the league.. There is no way he isn't still fit after all those weeks...

Just hope your coach don't want to play a game with HBA showing him that "I'm the best, the unique boss, you'll do like I want"...

Because, I saw it on Ben arfa's face yesterday, he seemed confused and in those moments, he'll easily make mistakes like he did in the past. He'll go to see the coach and ask about this situation. Hope he won't do the same mistakes as he did in the past though...

Your coach is the strangest I've ever seen...

He keep saying in press conference that Ben arfa is a special player, that he'll bring that "extra" thing you need and even against the "weakest" teams in the league he didn't bring Ben arfa in the team, even at least for 10 minutes...

I mean I know I'm not at the training ground so can't see if Ben arfa works hard enough to get his place in the first XI, but the thing is I really don't understand why Pardew did make him play against the biggest teams (Man U, City and Chelsea) and after nothing...

Of course, if Ben arfa doesn't work hard enough in training it's obviously a good reason to put him on the bench, but giving him at least 10 minutes to help your team can't be a bad idea, I think.  :undecided:

One more thing is that it seems Ben arfa isn't treated (the same way) as the other players. I mean, some of your players didn't play well in the past and they weren't put stright away on the bench (Obertan, Best..).

And I really don't believe the whole story of "HBA isn't still fit, he came back after a terrible injury, etc." He did play (and quitly well) against the best teams in the league.. There is no way he isn't still fit after all those weeks...

Just hope your coach don't want to play a game with HBA showing him that "I'm the best, the unique boss, you'll do like I want"...

Because, I saw it on Ben arfa's face yesterday, he seemed confused and in those moments, he'll easily make mistakes like he did in the past. He'll go to see the coach and ask about this situation. Hope he won't do the same mistakes as he did in the past though...

If he doesn't get a fair chance he'll leave. Sad as that sounds it's the most likely outcome.

All that happened yesterday is Pardew thought Shola might be more effective than Benny, so brought him on earlier.

Given than Shola came on to get a draw against Tottenham & hit the bar against chelsea. Before having a chance within 5 minutes of coming on that he made himself really, it wasnt that bad a call was it.

Ben Arfas an exciting player, his potential is huge. If you look at the impact both players have had on games recently, he doesnt win that battle. Thats just reality.

Hindsight & excitement for his potential is why people wanted Ben Arfa yesterday, not recent performances. (Which pardew rightly goes off)

Might sound a bit ott, but I feel as though he is as good as gone. Maybe not january but in the summer. Treatment of him yesterday was really  poor. As mini says , seems as though he is being treat differently than others. Too not get twenty minutes when we needed to win badly was poor management

Ben Arfa hasn't exactly set the game alight in any of his appearances so far. Hopefully the next time he plays he puts in a performance which makes him one of the first names on the team sheet for the next game. When Ba is at the African Cup of Nations it will be a strike force made up of two from Best, Shola and Ben Arfa. He'll get his chance. Also, I like most people wouldn't mind seeing him tried out on the right wing instead of Obertan.

It would be tragic if he left in the very near future.

Of course he's no Pele (he wouldn't be at NUFC if he was) and he's not guaranteed to unlock any game or situation. But, he's clearly a high class talent. The kind of which we haven't seen at the club in years and would struggle to attract.

If his only meaningful contribution to the team remained that goal at Everton it would be very sad.

He's not even being given a chance to fail.

Something has quite obviously gone on since that half time at Chelsea.

Pardew isn't stupid enough to think the other players he's been bringing on are better, there has to be a relationship break down.

We need to reshuffle the pack again on Wednesday and he needs to start.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

"hasn't exactly set the game alight"

I'm not sure what some were expecting. He came on and contributed to us getting a goal at Spurs, the same against Wigan, had a very promising display at Man City in terms of link up with Ba, won us a penalty at Man United. Chelsea I could say was disappointing. I'd have said his actual quality of performances on return from injury were very good. It's just becoming a huge shame he's being left on the bench and the likes of the Ameobis getting on ahead of him.

This whole "can't play on the wing" is lunacy. That's where he made his name isn't it? Just play him. Obertan was woeful yesterday again.

And as well as Best have done for us, he hasn't scored since Villa. Just get Benny in to support one of the most in-form strikers in Europe.

"hasn't exactly set the game alight"

I'm not sure what some were expecting. He came on and contributed to us getting a goal at Spurs, the same against Wigan, had a very promising display at Man City in terms of link up with Ba, won us a penalty at Man United. Chelsea I could say was disappointing. I'd have said his actual quality of performances on return from injury were very good. It's just becoming a huge shame he's being left on the bench and the likes of the Ameobis getting on ahead of him.

There haven't been many "wow" moments so far in his admittedly short pitch time. If anything, my main memories of him playing are of him losing the ball by trying to take on too many players and not running at the opposition when he has the chance. He seems to look for the pass rather than go for it himself. He'd probably be better if he had two strikers playing in front of him but I can't see our team setting up like that.

It's a bit early to talk about him leaving isn't it? As I said earlier, he'll get another run in the team. It's up to him to take it. My opinion of Ben Arfa doesn't mean I think other players who are in the team ahead of him should be e.g. Obertan.

I don't think the situation is a as dire as some people think. He won't leave in January and there will be plenty of chances come the second half of the season. In the end though, he has to take them, which so far he hasn't.

I sometimes think judgement is clouded because he is a star player. He might find alot of joy playing alongside Best, when Ba goes to the ACON.

He seems to look for the pass rather than go for it himself.

I'd have said the opposite :o :lol:

His biggest weakness/problem this season has not been knowing when to pass. Sometimes he's just moving around with the ball ignoring the obvious open man. I've found him to be frustrating in the number 10 role. He needs to be in a position where he has more clear duties with the ball.

During the ACON, i'm hoping for something like this:

Krul

Simpson      Colo        Williamson    Santon

Cabaye        Guthrie

Obertan                                            Jonas

Ben Arfa

Best

I really really hope Ben Arfa makes it at NUFC because he has all the talent in the world.

But...

1)  We don't know what is going on behind the scenes.  We don't know how Ben Arfa is in training.  We don't know his fitness levels.

2)  So far Ben Arfa hasn't shown enough to be cast-iron starter at the moment.  On talent - we all know he should be starting, but I am not convinced that his performances this season so far have merited a starting XI place.  As has been pointed out so far, our relative 'success' owes a large amount to the formation we have been playing and the solidity and industry of the team as a unit.  Understandably, Pardew has probably been reluctant to change what was a winning formula and/or jeopardise the work rate of the team by including a talented but not so industrious player.

3)  I also find it a little bit odd (not going to trawl through for posts, more an impression I have got) is that people seem to think we should pander to Ben Arfa because he is a talented player and everyone thought getting him to NUFC was a bit of a coup for us.  We can't live in fear of Ben Arfa's potential hissy fits.  He should realise that he is part of a squad and he needs to earn his place.  Already there are 'stories' that he doesn't look very happy and possibly starting to sulk a little - if that is the case he should grow up and realise that he can't just throw his toys out of the pram at every club he is at if things don't go right.

Having said all that - I would have brought him on yesterday and want to see him in the starting XI sooner rather than later.

He seems to look for the pass rather than go for it himself.

I'd have said the opposite :o :lol:

His biggest weakness/problem this season has not been knowing when to pass. Sometimes he's just moving around with the ball ignoring the obvious open man. I've found him to be frustrating in the number 10 role. He needs to be in a position where he has more clear duties with the ball.

That's what I meant. He looks for the pass but then often holds on to the ball too long and the opportunity to pass has gone. The only burst of pace I can recall from him was against Man U when he won the penalty. He needs to do use his pace more. Run at the opposition more.