Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Look at how Howard Wilkinson and Alex Ferguson treated Cantona, loads of exceptions to the norms of behaviour and the club rules. Look at how QPR got the best out of Taraabt - by building the entire team around him. Sometimes you have a special player on your hands and you have to make compromises to get the best out of him, that's all part of good management.

Bobby Robson with Bellamy, you don't need to look at other clubs, we've done it in the past and done OK from it.

Or with Laurent Robert, at times he was a passenger, but his brilliance out weighted that by a long way.  Only have to look at when Souness came in to see what happens when a manager doesn't understand that certain players need to be given some leeway.

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

I am so sick to death of this crap that gets spewed - "prodigious talent", "gifted", everyone else is s**** in comparison. He has made two, count 'em TWO appearances as a sub for France in the last 2 and a half seasons. You have to go all the way back to the heady days of 2007 if you wanted to see him get an International start (unfortunately, you wouldn't see hiom finish as he was generally subbed off at aroung 75 minutes).

The guy is possibly just slightly above average but we don't know that because he can't seem to earn a place in the team. I am not part of the youtube generation that drools over tribute compilations lasting 2 minutes. All I can go by is what he does when we see him play and also what the coaches and manager deem him worthy of.

It is entirely comical that Obertan is s***, Jonas is s***, Shola is s***, Sami is s***, Vuckic is s***, etc. etc. Guess what children, they are ahead of Ben Arfa because they are more deserving of a place PERIOD.

Glorify him all you want but the fact is he hasn't earned it.

was the most successful player of the championship of France with five league titles and a Cup of France before coming to newcastle

and all was ca 23

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

He will never play like Best, he's not good on the air...he's not a "target" man....he will never play like Obertan, he will never "work hard" or "track back" like Jonas.

Whilst at Lyon and Marseille, how much did he play behind the striker(s) as a number 10, compared to how much he played on the left?

Do you see him as a wide player (in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3) or an attacking midfielder behind the striker?

At Lyon, with Perrin, he played a few months behind Benzema. The duo was great.

Geerets played him behind two strikers. For me, that's his best postion on the pitch.

But you're right, he played more on the wings with both teams. He's a polyvalent offensive player.

Laurent Blanc also see him as a wide player...on the right.

Pardew reminds me a lot Didier Deschamps on his players preferences. He used to prefer the physical and strong Brandao instead of the gifted and talented HBA.

And eventually leading passer with Juninho

Very disappointed he didn't come on against Swansea.  We'd quite obviously ran out of ideas/belief in the last 20 minutes or so and needed something new.  I thought Ben Arfa could have given us something different and stopped us going into "smash the ball into the area and hope" mode.

I am so sick to death of this crap that gets spewed - "prodigious talent", "gifted", everyone else is shite in comparison. He has made two, count 'em TWO appearances as a sub for France in the last 2 and a half seasons. You have to go all the way back to the heady days of 2007 if you wanted to see him get an International start (unfortunately, you wouldn't see hiom finish as he was generally subbed off at aroung 75 minutes).

The guy is possibly just slightly above average but we don't know that because he can't seem to earn a place in the team. I am not part of the youtube generation that drools over tribute compilations lasting 2 minutes. All I can go by is what he does when we see him play and also what the coaches and manager deem him worthy of.

It is entirely comical that Obertan is shit, Jonas is shit, Shola is shit, Sami is shit, Vuckic is shit, etc. etc. Guess what children, they are ahead of Ben Arfa because they are more deserving of a place PERIOD.

If they are all deserving of a place ahead of HBA no doubt they'll keep creating and scoring goals and we'll keep winning. Personally speaking I don't see many assists or goals coming from either Jonas or Obertan whatever other qualities they have. Maybe the opposition will give us an own goal every week so we can get the points every time.

I am so sick to death of this crap that gets spewed - "prodigious talent", "gifted", everyone else is s**** in comparison. He has made two, count 'em TWO appearances as a sub for France in the last 2 and a half seasons. You have to go all the way back to the heady days of 2007 if you wanted to see him get an International start (unfortunately, you wouldn't see hiom finish as he was generally subbed off at aroung 75 minutes).

It is entirely comical that Obertan is s***, Jonas is s***, Shola is s***, Sami is s***, Vuckic is s***, etc. etc. Guess what children, they are ahead of Ben Arfa because they are more deserving of a place PERIOD.

Okay.

I am so sick to death of this crap that gets spewed - "prodigious talent", "gifted", everyone else is shite in comparison. He has made two, count 'em TWO appearances as a sub for France in the last 2 and a half seasons. You have to go all the way back to the heady days of 2007 if you wanted to see him get an International start (unfortunately, you wouldn't see hiom finish as he was generally subbed off at aroung 75 minutes).

It is entirely comical that Obertan is shit, Jonas is shit, Shola is shit, Sami is shit, Vuckic is shit, etc. etc. Guess what children, they are ahead of Ben Arfa because they are more deserving of a place PERIOD.

If they are all deserving of a place ahead of HBA no doubt they'll keep creating and scoring goals and we'll keep winning. Personally speaking I don't see many assists or goals coming from either Jonas or Obertan whatever other qualities they have. Maybe the opposition will give us an own goal every week so we can get the points every time.

We have scored a fair amount without the opposition giving us own goals :dontknow:

Guest mimifrench

I'd understand if the team were winning but we aren't. If we don't win against WBA and he doesn't get a chance to play then I can't see any future for him at NUFC.

Indeed, your team isn't winning (while he's on the bench) and moreover the players on the pitch (aside defenders and Krul) don't really play very well.

I really wonder what Obertan and Jonas have shown (which was that good) recently to deserve a start in every game...

I'd understand if the team were winning but we aren't. If we don't win against WBA and he doesn't get a chance to play then I can't see any future for him at NUFC.

Indeed, your team isn't winning (while he's on the bench) and moreover the players on the pitch (aside defenders and Krul) don't really play very well.

I really wonder what Obertan and Jonas have shown (which was that good) recently to deserve a start in every game...

Whilst Jonas has admittedly been off form recently, he's still quite a key player for us. We don't really have anyone else who could play on the left wing at the moment either (we have Sammy Ameobi and of course Ben Arfa can play there too but Pardew seems really reluctant to play him there).

http://media.bestofmicro.com/Vancouver-Canucks-Riot,X-R-296703-13.jpg

Guest mimifrench

Whilst Jonas has admittedly been off form recently, he's still quite a key player for us. We don't really have anyone else who could play on the left wing at the moment either (we have Sammy Ameobi and of course Ben Arfa can play there too but Pardew seems really reluctant to play him there).

Before your edit, I was going to say that Ben arfa could easily play on the left wing...

He's played there the majority of his career.

The point of your coach here is very strange. I'm practically sure Ben arfa would like to play in this position (and everywhere) at least if it meant to not be on the bench... Trust me, HBA has been too much on the bench during his career and out of football to like to be there again.

Pardew seems quite narow-minded tbh. Bringing Sammy Ameobi when you need to win the game is rather strange, but I know he should have his reasons... But the most annoying thing is all the stories he made and told to the fans and journalists just before Ben arfa came back after his injury : telling he was very good, special, blah, blah, blah...

Someone is just lying in this story.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I agree, surely in the circumstances it was better for a creative player to come on and 'pick a lock' rather than a winger who requires much more space and is out of position.

Guest Heneage

The Northern Echo's back page is embarrassing tomorrow. Has anyone seen it?

http://s1-02.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/476277045.jpg

Whatever we think of their other attributes, Jonas and Obertan run back to help out the left and right backs. Would Ben Arfa do that? Maybe Pardew doesn't think Ben Arfa will provide the defensive cover he thinks we require from our wingers. The last defending Ben Arfa did resulted in a penalty for Man City. I really hope Ben Arfa puts in a decent performance the next game he plays. It's up to him to stake his claim to become an automatic starter.

Whatever we think of their other attributes, Jonas and Obertan run back to help out the left and right backs. Would Ben Arfa do that? Maybe Pardew doesn't think Ben Arfa will provide the defensive cover he thinks we require from our wingers. The last defending Ben Arfa did resulted in a penalty for Chelsea. I really hope Ben Arfa puts in a decent performance the next game he plays. It's up to him to stake his claim to become an automatic starter.

look where he was when he gave away the pen against man city.

regarding jonas helping out his defender, it's true he does but he's recerted to standing on the full backs toes closing the entiree left side down for us. for some reason earlier on in the season he stayed much firther forward even with raylor behind him.

Guest mimifrench

Whatever we think of their other attributes, Jonas and Obertan run back to help out the left and right backs. Would Ben Arfa do that? Maybe Pardew doesn't think Ben Arfa will provide the defensive cover he thinks we require from our wingers. The last defending Ben Arfa did resulted in a penalty for Chelsea. I really hope Ben Arfa puts in a decent performance the next game he plays. It's up to him to stake his claim to become an automatic starter.

But how would you know it if you don't make him play regularly ??

I clearly remember that during the first games he played, HBA tried at least to make some defensive covers and even Pardew underlined it...

If you want a defender on the left wing, then I understand your reluctancy and the one of Pardew then.

But it's not defenders who make you win a game, at least, in the main occasions.

And it's absolutely not a good idea to put that pressure on HBA telling him before the game : "Defend, do all what you can to save your place in the start XI, because if not you'll be on the bench, and that at the first mistake..."

It can only have bad consequences, Ben arfa will want to do too much to impress and will play bad.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't do it with other players whereas they still are bad...

The Northern Echo's back page is embarrassing tomorrow. Has anyone seen it?

http://s1-02.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/476277045.jpg

That's really embarrassing. The headline is absolutely un-necessary.

Before your edit, I was going to say that Ben arfa could easily play on the left wing...

He's played there the majority of his career.

The point of your coach here is very strange. I'm practically sure Ben arfa would like to play in this position (and everywhere) at least if it meant to not be on the bench... Trust me, HBA has been too much on the bench during his career and out of football to like to be there again.

Pardew seems quite narow-minded tbh. Bringing Sammy Ameobi when you need to win the game is rather strange, but I know he should have his reasons... But the most annoying thing is all the stories he made and told to the fans and journalists just before Ben arfa came back after his injury : telling he was very good, special, blah, blah, blah...

Someone is just lying in this story.

It is a weird situation :undecided: