Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

I really really hope Ben Arfa makes it at NUFC because he has all the talent in the world.

But...

1)  We don't know what is going on behind the scenes.  We don't know how Ben Arfa is in training.  We don't know his fitness levels.

2)  So far Ben Arfa hasn't shown enough to be cast-iron starter at the moment.  On talent - we all know he should be starting, but I am not convinced that his performances this season so far have merited a starting XI place.  As has been pointed out so far, our relative 'success' owes a large amount to the formation we have been playing and the solidity and industry of the team as a unit.  Understandably, Pardew has probably been reluctant to change what was a winning formula and/or jeopardise the work rate of the team by including a talented but not so industrious player.

3)  I also find it a little bit odd (not going to trawl through for posts, more an impression I have got) is that people seem to think we should pander to Ben Arfa because he is a talented player and everyone thought getting him to NUFC was a bit of a coup for us.  We can't live in fear of Ben Arfa's potential hissy fits.  He should realise that he is part of a squad and he needs to earn his place.  Already there are 'stories' that he doesn't look very happy and possibly starting to sulk a little - if that is the case he should grow up and realise that he can't just throw his toys out of the pram at every club he is at if things don't go right.

Having said all that - I would have brought him on yesterday and want to see him in the starting XI sooner rather than later.

Sums it up for me, especially point 3.

2)  So far Ben Arfa hasn't shown enough to be cast-iron starter at the moment.

He's done enough to warrant a decent run in the side. And most importantly: it's not like the alternatives (especially on the wings) are doing enough to warrant keeping him out.

It's not necessarily pandering to him either, we want what is best for the team. We have seemingly undroppable players out there not doing a job.

Again, he's not even being given a chance to fail.

No matter how good/bad he's been, he can at least deliver a quality ball once or twice in a game that can lead to a goal or two, only by doing that he would be a lot more dangerous than Obertan. Much of our play goes down the wings and im sure that if Ben Arfa received/had the ball as much as Obrtan he would create a hell of alot more out there on the RW.

2)  So far Ben Arfa hasn't shown enough to be cast-iron starter at the moment.

He's done enough to warrant a decent run in the side. And most importantly: it's not like the alternatives (especially on the wings) are doing enough to warrant keeping him out.

It's not necessarily pandering to him either, we want what is best for the team. We have seemingly undroppable players out there not doing a job.

Again, he's not even being given a chance to fail.

This is it like,given the absolute plight of Obertan,to not be given the opportunity to be more effective is very very harsh.

No matter how good/bad he's been, he can at least deliver a quality ball once or twice in a game that can lead to a goal or two, only by doing that he would be a lot more dangerous than Obertan. Much of our play goes down the wings and im sure that if Ben Arfa received/had the ball as much as Obrtan he would create a hell of alot more out there on the RW.

Well - that is where I would start him.  I think Obertan has had a good run in the side and hasn't performed.  Although I actually think he played reasonably well yesterday.  But, I still stand by the fact that I understand perfectly why Pardew may not have felt comfortable playing him up until now and I stand by the fact that there seems to be a general feeling on here that we need to treat him with kid gloves so he doesn't storm off back to Tunisia/Paris next week.  And I regard that as being unacceptable.

Pardew did mention that Ben Arfa will play some part on Wednesday against WBA. Hope it's a starting position (unlikely though).

In any case when the AcoN comes along, that's really Ben Arfa's chance to prove to Pardew why he's deserving of a place in the starting line up. Like Fenham Mag, I'm confident the lad will take his chance.

Guest VaVaVoom

Pardew did mention that Ben Arfa will play some part on Wednesday against WBA. Hope it's a starting position (unlikely though).

In any case when the AcoN comes along, that's really Ben Arfa's chance to prove to Pardew why he's deserving of a place in the starting line up. Like Fenham Mag, I'm confident the lad will take his chance.

Again. This.

was just thinking about the situation and remembered this.....

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/09/08/i-will-provide-the-bullets-for-carroll-ben-arfa-72703-27225973/

HATEM BEN ARFA today sent a chilling warning to the rest of the Premier League that he is ready to “cause havoc” by linking up with Andy Carroll.

The French international is keen to start providing the bullets for the Geordie striker and admits he has been carefully observing Carroll’s style of play from the stands so far since arriving on Tyneside.

Carroll is hoping to have recovered from an ankle injury in time for the visit of Blackpool while on-loan Marseille star Ben Arfa may have to settle for a place on the bench.

Speaking about the prospect of linking up with Carroll, Ben Arfa told the Chronicle today: “I have seen Andy play in two matches so far.

“I have been very impressed with how hard he works for the team.

“I think there are a lot of players in the side who have got that same work ethic as Andy.

“That brings a great quality to the team.

“I want to start working hard now and providing the ammunition for people like Andy, I think there could be a lot of goals in this team.”

Ben Arfa has had a fortnight to settle in with his new team-mates and, while the Parisian 23-year-old arrived with a wild boy reputation, he has had no problems slotting into life on Tyneside thus far.

He said: “There is a superb atmosphere amongst these players and which I noticed straight away.

“There is a really, really good feeling within the group and the training centre.

“I have been impressed with a lot of the players – they have such great skill and technique.”

With the international break now over, momentum is starting to build ahead of the clash with Blackpool.

And, having not played a game since early August before his on/off transfer saga with United kicked in, Ben Arfa said: “I am very impatient.

“I want to get out on the pitch as soon as possible and play for Newcastle.

“I’m dying to get out there and show what I can do.

“I am desperate to get the shirt on for the first time and get out there in front of the supporters.”

I know he doesnt say 'I want to play on the wing' but that doesnt sound like the words of a bloke who really DOESN'T want to play on the wing.

If this was the case then are we supposed to believe he changed his mind when he broke his leg?

I get the impression the lad really just wants to play be it in the number 10 or on the wing (wherever really). I've said this before, the Everton game was an example of his eagerness to play. When it became clear that Marveaux was knacked, Ben Arfa immediately went to warm up - he wanted to come on even though it would have meant him playing on the wing. The fact that Pardew had to "console" him should indicate that Ben Arfa was really disappointed.

I guess Pardew's still being stubborn about the whole "Ben Arfa is only a number 10" thing. That's the only explanation I can think of from a footballing sense.

We should know more on Tuesday in the Journal (according to Douglas).

Guest hatem garrincha
Meanwhile, flamboyant playmaker Hatem Ben Arfa was again left on the bench and was once more left kicking his heels on the bench as an unused substitute.

Speculation has been rife of a possible fall-out between player and management but Pardew insists it is merely a case of others being ahead in the pecking order with Ben Arfa having to be patient.

He continued: “Hatem is hungry and ready. Hopefully he is hungry when his chance comes. As to when that will come, I don’t know.”

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/12/19/alan-pardew-bemoans-nufc-s-lack-of-luck-61634-29976102/#ixzz1gydZqtEj

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/12/19/alan-pardew-bemoans-nufc-s-lack-of-luck-61634-29976102/

I'd be furious not frustrated. Sammy and Haris showed something in training? Hatem's shown it on the pitch for years, comes back from injury and has some moments. Haris and Sammy have changed no games for us..... I'm sick of harping on about it but it's my number one gripe with both Pardew and the current set up

For me he just needs us to put our faith in him and play him for 5 or 6 games without him thinking he has the win every one single-handed. Just play him, take the pressure off and let him do his thing.

exactly, I couldn't give a shit if he didn't score, or do any assists or even if he lost the bal. The point is, he has more to his game than many of our other players and over time this will eventually come through

For me he just needs us to put our faith in him and play him for 5 or 6 games without him thinking he has the win every one single-handed. Just play him, take the pressure off and let him do his thing.

And if he's not doing his thing in the first couple of games, just keep playing him out of blind faith?

Basically, yes. His quality is proven to be far beyond anyone else we've got on the books, all we need to do is make him feel wanted and allow him to show it. The amount of game time he's had so far isn't enough for anyone to reach top form.

And if he's not doing his thing in the first couple of games, just keep playing him out of blind faith?

*cough* Obertan *cough*

Basically, yes. His quality is proven to be far beyond anyone else we've got on the books, all we need to do is make him feel wanted and allow him to show it. The amount of game time he's had so far isn't enough for anyone to reach top form.

The same goes with Santon. It really feels like we've already 'wasted' a lot of potential game time to get both up to speed.

you make a fair point Hindu, about Obertan. He is not deserving of the abuse he gets and I think his main problem is concentration and confidence. Something which can and will improve. Hatem played the first couple of games back from a year out with an injury and he was ok, then he had some good moments against the best teams in the league. Unless he's appalling in training, I don't see how he is being beaten by a couple of unproven youngsters

Guest hatem garrincha

His style of game just don't suit to Pardew plans. Too much "risky", "unpredictable" etc.etc.

If everybody in the starting XI we've seen since the start of the seaon is fit, I don't think we'll see a lof of Hatem this season.

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

Just to try and settle this HBA argument a little bit... Pardew says in his post match interview on NUFC TV that he brought on Sammy and Harris because he had seen something from them both in training during the week to suggest that they could make the difference, singling out Harris as a player who can unlock a door. Reading between the lines, maybe just maybe HBA isn't showing the ability, or the effort, in training for Pardew to feel fully confident in him yet.

I know everyone's frustrated that HBA isn't getting the game time, but I'm pretty sure he'd be playing if Pardew and co felt that he was up to it at the minute.

Cabaye said on Canal +

Hatem Ben Arfa had additional meetings

after training

HATEM Ben Arfa will be fully “fuelled” to take on West Bromwich Albion on Wednesday night, according to NUFC boss Alan Pardew.

Pardew did not call on the former Marseille star during the 0-0 draw with Swansea, instead opting for Sammy Ameobi, Shola Ameobi and Haris Vuckic as he tried to edge to victory.

Many Newcastle United fans raised eyebrows at Ben Arfa’s non-appearance but Pardew said: “Sometimes you’ve got to fuel your players, and the disappointment he had about not getting on might fuel him for Wednesday night.

“When you get a 0-0, you always think of something else.”

Yet, Pardew admitted the thought of bringing Ben Arfa on had crossed his mind.

He said: “A couple of times I thought about (bringing on) Hatem, but I just felt they were so deep, with so many numbers back, that I did not think he would find any space, if I asm honest.

“He looks for pockets, and there weren’t any.”

Explaining his logic in going for the Ameobi brothers rather than the French international, Pardew said: “Actually, I thought that maybe a diagonal coming in that box with Shola climbing on the back of a centre-half might just be enough.

“As he was he had half a chance at a set play, and Sammy ended up winning a cross at the far post.

“That was really the only time we had the space to get a goal.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/12/19/hatem-ben-arfa-rested-for-west-brom-clash-72703-29976392/#ixzz1gywVCzDc