Southampton FC bans photographers

AyeDubbleYoo

Weird decision:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/06/southampton-fc-bans-press-photographers

Southampton Football Club has banned all photographers from newspapers and news agencies from covering its home games this season – a move that critics argue threatens press freedom.

The League One side has chosen to deny photographers press accreditation for the new season, which starts tomorrow and had appointed a single agency, Digital South, with which other outlets will have to negotiate for photographs.

Don't give Mike any ideas!

The Sun's reaction:      http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3086603/Opposition-0-Plymouth-1.html

Opposition 0-1 Plymouth

TODAY we are printing the most one-sided match report in the history of The Sun. While applauding Plymouth's amazing victory we are deliberately ignoring one of the hottest title favourites in history. All this is down to Southampton's draconian executive chairman Nicola Cortese. His totally crazy decision to ban national and local newspaper photographers from the game will hurt his club more than he thinks. This senseless move will not make him extra money but it will turn the fans and, more importantly, sponsors away from the club. After so many dismal years of decline Southampton need all the publicity they can get while they fight their way back up the divisions. What they don't need is a dictator who thinks he knows what's best for the club by denying fans the pictures they deserve in their No 1 paper. We apologise to the supporters who have stuck by their club through thick and thin. We make no apology to Cortese.

PETER REID celebrated a "miraculous" return to management with a victory - and a few glasses of wine.

Plymouth boss Reid forgot his pre-season teetotal ways after Luke Summerfield's goal secured the shock result of the day. It was the midfielder's first strike in almost a year and came just 77 seconds into the second half. And Reid, managing again in England after a five-year absence, admitted: "It's just great to be back - you can't beat it." The former Manchester City chief thought his No 1 days were over when he joined Stoke last season as Tony Pulis' assistant. Reid, 54, added: "I had a few offers but it's a miracle really to be back. But this is just one job I fancied.

"I have played big games for my country and have managed at Wembley but I still got that nervous feeling before this match. I'm not one of those who doesn't sleep the night before a game but I have not had a drink this pre-season, so I am in good nick. I usually have a couple of glasses of wine on a Friday night but because I am such a miserable so-and-so I just went to bed and watched the Jack Nicholson film Something's Gotta Give. I go off the booze every pre-season and in January, then the other 10 months I go mad. But after this, I think I deserve a couple of glasses."

Reid played out the perfect rebel-raiser Nicholson role at half-time and something big did give in the second period. The Pilgrims were given the runaround in the first half. But Reid's words of wisdom paid off when Summerfield turned on Rory Fallon's nod down and found the net. Ex-Thailand chief Reid said: "Plymouth might be a bit of an outpost for some but it's closer than Bangkok in terms of football, believe me. "It's a big club with a great footballing area and tradition and the fans are absolutely brilliant. I've been there with fans chanting 'Are you watching Liverpool, United and Newcastle?', so now I'll settle for 'Are you watching Exeter'?"

Plymouth keeper David Button watched in awe as his defence, marshalled by Krisztian Timar, held firm during that first-half blitz. Sub Reda Johnson summed up the spirit in Reid's camp when he bravely dived in to block a shot late on. Summerfield said: "The gaffer wasn't pleased with us at half-time because we weren't doing what he wanted but the goal made it a little easier for us to defend."