Sell to buy: Is it an option?

The Prophet

Despite a few additions this summer it's evident the squad is still seriously lacking in key areas. Despite his reassurances Hughton appears to be working on a shoe string budget with the one cash buy this window. Supposing those working above him suggested he could spend any funds generated from player sales would he be tempted by an increased kitty? In my opinion I don't think he would and I would tend to agree with him.

To generate a decent amount of cash Hughton would have two options: sell one of our few valuable assists or sell a couple of our average squad fillers. If we take the former to begin with, who are our valuable assets? For me Enrique, Taylor, Jonas and Carroll could demand decent fees. We have to hold on to Enrique and Carroll which leaves Jonas and Taylor. I could honestly see a foreign club paying a decent sum for Gutierrez, but would his loss to the side be counter productive? We already have plenty of positions to be worrying about without needing to bring in another left winger so for me that would be a no go. What about Taylor? I'd certainly think about it for the right price. It would leave us short at centre back but if we could buy a couple of decent players off the fee I don't think I'd lose too much sleep over his departure. Obviously it remains to be seen whether any club would take a gamble given his current injury.

What about the other option? Who is expendable? In my eyes (obviously not Hughton's) we could flog Ryan, Best and Xisco. I'd add Smith to that list but it just isn't going to happen. How much could we realistically expect to generate from the three? Would it be worth cutting an already paper-thin squad for the sake of a couple of million? It's difficult and it would depnd on how much clubs were willing to offer for the three of them but I highly doubt it would be much.

So yeah I'd like to think we could sell to buy but you can see the dilemma for Hughton. In reality it's unlikely he'd do so as he's been banging on about keeping the squad together all summer not to mention it remains to be seen whether he would see any of the money which he generated. Bearing that in mind selling to buy seems to be a bit of a pipe dream for me. Thoughts?

Guest secteur2010

You've mentioned those that will command a decent fee, the likes of Smith etc probably won't shift as they're (allegedly) on decent wages p.w. and I doubt any club worth it's salt would be interested in taking those wages on.

So in a harsh world, flog Taylor (S) and Jonas as I cannot see any club taking a chance on, what really amounts to, Championship level players (although I will be shot for saying that).

The only thing we have excess of is poor central midfielders, so any other sales would have to be followed by buying replacements.

Obviously if we could sell people then unearth some cheap gems to replace them it would be great. But otherwise I can't see us benefitting from selling to buy.

I wouldn't trust the ability to find replacements of a decent level for the likes of Saylor, Jose, Jonas or Carroll, and past experience has shown that we can not be certain that the full amount recieved for those players will be plowed back into the transfer kitty.

If we could find a buyer for the likes of Raylor, Best, Xisco and Smith and even Barton, then we should look to move them on, but again are we likely to see that money reinvested ?

Replacing Jonas would be an awful lot easier than people think. Because of his huge over-reliance on athleticism (and the fact he looks poor in the PL) his market value will only depreciate.

If it meant we could get a Ben Arfa, i'd sell him in an eyeblink.

The only thing we have excess of is poor central midfielders, so any other sales would have to be followed by buying replacements.

Obviously if we could sell people then unearth some cheap gems to replace them it would be great. But otherwise I can't see us benefitting from selling to buy.

I'd say we have an excess of below par strikers too.

In principle I agree, selling Taylor and Jonas could probably get fill a few gaps in the team.

However I'd still be reluctant in taking the risk, we're already drastically thin on the ground in terms of quality and flogging off key parts of the promotion team would be hard to take.

The only players I'd like to see sold are:

Nolan

Smith

Best

Xisco

Raylor

It would be nye on impossible to get fees for them players however, so I guess we're stuck with them.

In principle I agree, selling Taylor and Jonas could probably get fill a few gaps in the team.

However I'd still be reluctant in taking the risk, we're already drastically thin on the ground in terms of quality and flogging off key parts of the promotion team would be hard to take.

Nolan

Smith

Best

Xisco

Raylor

It would be nye on impossible to get fees for them players however, so I guess we're stuck with them.

I would add Ameobi to that list.

Nolan

Smith

Best

Xisco

Raylor

Problem is Ameobi's got more Premiership goals than all our other strikers combined. That could be the root of our problems this season.

you wont manage to flush ameobi out the pan....hes been hangin on to his nufc paychq for years, managed to dodge 2 eviction attempts.

Cant see hughton being ruthless enough to dump smith/nolan.

IS anyone daft enuff to bid for xisco and raylor?

Guest malandro

£50m, if they went to Man city.

Enrique and Carroll would be worth about £6m - £8m each. Taylor would too if he wasn’t in the last year of his contract, which he is making him worth about £3m-£4m.

Nolan

Smith

Best

Xisco

Raylor

Problem is Ameobi's got more Premiership goals than all our other strikers combined. That could be the root of our problems this season.

But less than Alan Smith.  :undecided:

It would be interesting to see what kind of fee Taylor/Enrique/Carroll would fetch in the current climate.

Taylor's contract ending would effect the size of fee for him probably, lucky to get 4 million for him. Enrique's reputation outside of Newcastle is very low, I doubt any team would be prepared to pay more than 5 million for him. Carroll is probably our most sellable asset, young, English and lots of potential, could get up to 8 or 9 million for him I think.

So if we got the best we could get for that lot, that would bring in 18 million, Ashley never gives back all the sale money, lets take Milner money as an example because it was the last big sale when we were in a position to re-invest. From that 12 million he gave 6 million back for the purchase of Xisco. So 50%, I don't think we could get 3 players of sufficient quality to replace Carroll, Taylor and Jose for 9 million.

It would be interesting to see what kind of fee Taylor/Enrique/Carroll would fetch in the current climate.

Taylor's contract ending would effect the size of fee for him probably, lucky to get 4 million for him. Enrique's reputation outside of Newcastle is very low, I doubt any team would be prepared to pay more than 5 million for him. Carroll is probably our most sellable asset, young, English and lots of potential, could get up to 8 or 9 million for him I think.

So if we got the best we could get for that lot, that would bring in 18 million, Ashley never gives back all the sale money, lets take Milner money as an example because it was the last big sale when we were in a position to re-invest. From that 12 million he gave 6 million back for the purchase of Xisco. So 50%, I don't think we could get 3 players of sufficient quality to replace Carroll, Taylor and Jose for 9 million.

By the same reasoning you could say that Ashley has a history of giving back 4 times the money we sell a player for because we sold Faye for £2.5m and bought Coloccini for nearly £10m.  Looking at an isolated set of transfers doesn't tell us much.  So far Ashley's strategy has always been to break even on transfers, so either all the money brought in is spent or all the money spent is gained back over the course of the year.  Could Hughton bring in 3 better players then Carroll, Taylor and Enrique for £18m - Perch?

By the same reasoning you could say that Ashley has a history of giving back 4 times the money we sell a player for because we sold Faye for £2.5m and bought Coloccini for nearly £10m..  Its a silly way to look at it though.  Its the total spent vs total brought in that tells us how Ashley deals with transfer money, so far under Ashley in the Premiership we've always broken even on transfers.

It is sily, I agree, as I could counter that easily and say, we sold 20 million plus last summer and bought nothing. I was just trying to point out that people who expect all the money from sales of players to be re-invested are assuming too much and historically, that's not generally been the way Ashley has played it.

saddest thing is as a club we seem utterly unable to sign players (on the whole) who retain value in the market - it's been a problem for many, many years now - well before ashley came along

either too high a fee paid, too high wages (or both), or suspect temperaments/medical fragility

until we rectify that we'll always struggle now freddy's not throwing borrowed money into signings

It is sily, I agree, as I could counter that easily and say, we sold 20 million plus last summer and bought nothing. I was just trying to point out that people who expect all the money from sales of players to be re-invested are assuming too much and historically, that's not generally been the way Ashley has played it.

Not really, we weren't in the Premiership last summer, the drop in revenue meant costs had to be cut and money had to be brought in.  But you could counter it with any other random set of transfers during our time under him in the Premiership, which is why I said its not worth looking at it that way.

Historically in the Premiership just about everything (give or take 5k) that's been brought in through player sales has gone into buying new players.

saddest thing is as a club we seem utterly unable to sign players (on the whole) who retain value in the market - it's been a problem for many, many years now - well before ashley came along

either too high a fee paid, too high wages (or both), or suspect temperaments/medical fragility

until we rectify that we'll always struggle now freddy's not throwing borrowed money into signings

This is because Newcastle is NOT seen as a good destination for players who are young, proven and sought after. The club's lack of success with silverware and geographical position will ALWAYS count against it. The only way to alter that is to win things and the only way to achieve that is to develop our own players and sign youngsters before other clubs. Shepherd & Co were not really interested in developing the Academy until it was too late - even clubs like Boro had a head start on us. That is why they paid over the odds for players who either had temperament issues, or who were on the way down or were just after a final big pay day.

It will be a long hard season(sell to buy is NOT an option with this squad)and quite  few years before the club is in any shape to sign top players.